Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff

Re: Will U-verse use the same coax connection as Xfinity?

We have our service set up with phone line to our home, coax from the box on the side of house to our gateway, then coax from the RG to all of our TVs except for the STB by it with ethernet. If you don't get TV you'll probably most likely not get a coax compatible RG.

Unlike stated above, if you have VDSL2 and you get a RG that has a coax port, they can use coax to both receive the connection and backfeed TV signals. If you have ADSL2 then you will have to use a phone port.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by Darknessfall:

Unlike stated above, if you have VDSL2 and you get a RG that has a coax port, they can use coax to both receive the connection and backfeed TV signals.

I thought that was for real FTTH installs? Isn't the normal U-Verse VDSL2 install a home-run CAT5 (phone line) to the NID connected to the 2-Wire RG indoors? Do they have outdoor VDSL2 modems now?

Edit: I see.. they have NIDs which contain the VDSL2 modem. Didn't realize that. Sorry for the incorrect information. So they don't do phone line to the indoor RG installs anymore?
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat

Edit: I see.. they have NIDs which contain the VDSL2 modem. Didn't realize that. Sorry for the incorrect information. So they don't do phone line to the indoor RG installs anymore?

I would imagine that the outdoor "VDSL2 modem" everyone is referring to is just the same old iNID we've had forever. From what I've been told, they don't really like to install those unless pair bonding is required. Everyone else gets an indoor modem (model varies based on availability and services being installed) with the cat5 run to the NID.

I could most certainly be wrong though.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall

Premium Member

We don't have an INID. We have coax to our 3801 HGV. It both receives the VDSL2 signal over it and back feeds the TV signals over it.