"To Stop Malware-Infected link sharing"
Read more here >> »www.avast.com/pr-avast-p ··· ook.html
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

That Avast page protested that I have javascript turned off...I just installed NoScript a few days ago.
MomOfARocker
join:2009-06-07
Canada

2 edits

1 recommendation

MomOfARocker to poppster

to poppster
So sorta like the same thing with NIS 2013 that everyone over in the Norton forums is up in arms about. Many users are choosing not to upgrade (myself being one) and many are reverting back to 2012 or leaving Norton all together. I'm not planning on leaving Norton but I have no interest whatsoever in having anything to do with Facebook on my security program especially when it is currently not possible to disable it. So till that's changed I'll stay with the 2012 version.

»community.norton.com/t5/ ··· p/804724

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to poppster

MVM

to poppster
Disgusting news! That takes AVAST out of my thoughts forever.

FF4m3
@rr.com

FF4m3 to poppster

Anon

to poppster
Facebook users need all the real help that they can get.
said by Avast :

AVAST’s collaboration with Facebook is a seamless experience for Facebook users. Whenever someone clicks a link within Facebook, Facebook checks the URL in the AVAST cloud, in real time. If the URL is infected, the user sees a message warning of the potential threat.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
That's what NoScript does. You can enable avast.com either permanently or temporarily. The page reads the same regardless.
chrisretusn

1 recommendation

chrisretusn to poppster

Premium Member

to poppster
I am somewhat surprise that Facebook is partnering vice doing it on it own. I think this is a good thing.
chrisretusn

1 recommendation

chrisretusn to MomOfARocker

Premium Member

to MomOfARocker
What does Norton have to do with this?

So Avast is going to provide Facebook with a service to warn users of potential malware, no big deal. Installation of Avast is not required. Having Avast already installed does not automatically mean you have something to do with Facebook now.
chrisretusn

chrisretusn to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
Why?

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

Disgusting news! That takes AVAST out of my thoughts forever.

It's the relatively new avast! CEO. He's got to justify his uber high salary.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to MomOfARocker

Premium Member

to MomOfARocker
Click for full size
said by MomOfARocker:

I'm not planning on leaving Norton but I have no interest whatsoever in having anything to do with Facebook on my security program especially when it is currently not possible to disable it. So till that's changed I'll stay with the 2012 version.

Facebook integration is still a part of NIS 2012. But then you don't have to use it, just like you don't have to use it in NIS 2013. However it is a part of both security suites regardless of which version you use.
MomOfARocker
Canada

MomOfARocker to chrisretusn

to chrisretusn
chrisretusn I thought my post was an obvious comparison between the two. NIS 2013 has a similar Facebook Link scanning feature through it's new Share button. I don't have a problem with NIS having this feature but I do have one with not being able to turn this feature off and I am certainly not alone in my feelings regarding this.

Re: Facebook Share on Norton NIS2013 Toolbar
»community.norton.com/t5/ ··· 64#M3994
MomOfARocker

MomOfARocker to Dustyn

to Dustyn
I just want to be able to turn it off like many other NIS users. When I can do that I will upgrade.
MomOfARocker

MomOfARocker to Dustyn

to Dustyn
Actually Dustyn it does look like they may be giving us the option to disable the Share button in the future. Just noticed this thread over in the Norton forums with a post by a Symantec employee regarding this issue as well as others:

»community.norton.com/t5/ ··· 8/page/4

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
Philippines

Premium Member

to MomOfARocker
OK, so Norton has a toolbar that has a Facebook share button. It all clear now.

Still not sure how that relates to Avast being used as a service to scan links in Facebook.

I don't do toolbars at any rate, nor do I do Norton, gave them up for Lent years ago.

Norton scans messages and downloads for Yahoo! Mail and I am OK with that. I see no difference with Avast checking links in Facebook. Actually it's about time Facebook did something in that regard. They really are trying to make the service better.
MomOfARocker
Canada

MomOfARocker

Like I said I don't mind them having such a service, just want the ability to disable it which it now looks like they have said they are going to be doing.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

goalieskates to chrisretusn

Premium Member

to chrisretusn
said by chrisretusn:

So Avast is going to provide Facebook with a service to warn users of potential malware, no big deal. Installation of Avast is not required. Having Avast already installed does not automatically mean you have something to do with Facebook now.

Yet.

As long as the relationship doesn't advance, what you describe is fine. But typically things don't stay static, and agreements like this one are a wakeup call.
said by Avast page :
As the world’s most popular antivirus brand, AVAST uses its own CommunityIQ network of anonymous sensors – people who use avast!
Tell me Facebook wouldn't like info on those anonymous sensors to add to their database.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
Philippines

2 edits

Premium Member

to MomOfARocker
So in other words you do not want Facebook (Avast) to warn you about possible malware links while you are logged in to your account. Who you going to blame if you get hit? Your self or Facebook? Oh wait, you have a prefect anti-malware that works 100%

Just curious, do you have a Yahoo! Mail account? Anti-malware screening is done by Norton,Symantec, would you want to disable that too? (You can't)

I did think on one thing just now, if they make this a Facebook App, then that is another story. I would not enable it. At this point that does not appear to be the case.
chrisretusn

chrisretusn to goalieskates

Premium Member

to goalieskates
It says anonymous sensors. While it may be people who use Avast, it does not know "who".

That said Facebook already knows about 1,999,695 people who use Avast. From the Avast Overview page "1,999,695 people like avast! antivirus." and counting....
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to chrisretusn

Premium Member

to chrisretusn
You know some of us care about our privacy. I have not even VISITED the Yahoo website in TEN YEARS. I would NEVER have a Yahoo mail account. I regret that I can't visit one Yahoo list serv but so be it. I will never allow Yahoo to track me. They are more evil than Google if such a thing is possible.

I would be nervous about Facebook and Avast agreement.

My ISP uses SYMANTEC CORPORATE on its gateway Email servers. That is acceptable. Note they do not use Norton (which is a consumer antivirus and far worse than Symante corporate in that it has crap like Facebook on a toolbar, etc. ...junk for the junkies). But the corporate version is ok.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium Member
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub

1 recommendation

Smokey Bear

Premium Member

said by Mele20:
I would be nervous about Facebook and Avast agreement.

You are nervous about almost everything, isn't? Your attitude was and is just paranoid.

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium Member
join:2004-03-06
EU

1 recommendation

Buddel

Premium Member

Calling her paranoid just because she cares about her privacy is ridiculous.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

Well we're all paranoid

»Do you consider yourself paranoid sense you visit this forum
MomOfARocker
Canada

to chrisretusn
I've stated quite clearly twice now I don't have a problem with the feature being in their product but I do have a problem with not being able to turn it off. I have also been speaking in regards to NIS 2013 not Avast. I do not use Facebook and have no intention of ever using it so don't require my Security Suite to have such a feature. If it's included, fine but let me turn it off if I so wish. And I never said anything about having a perfect Anti-malware that works 100%, please do not put words in my mouth or my post rather. And I have no yahoo accounts, no Gmail. I have one Hotmail account that I've had since 1999 which is only used for signing up for things and nothing personal. The only other email I have is the one provided by my ISP and yes my Symantec scans that mail. My post was not about an antivirus scanning email though it's about NIS adding a feature that can't be disabled.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
Philippines

chrisretusn

Premium Member

If you don't use Facebook then what exactly is the problem. This thread is supposed to be about Avast and it's partnership with Facebook. Specifically this:
said by "AVAST Partners with Facebook to Stop Malware-Infected Link Sharing" :
AVAST’s collaboration with Facebook is a seamless experience for Facebook users. Whenever someone clicks a link within Facebook, Facebook checks the URL in the AVAST cloud, in real time. If the URL is infected, the user sees a message warning of the potential threat.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Mele20

to Mele20

quote:
That Avast page protested that I have javascript turned off..
Same thing when i went there also Mele! -- It said i couldnt view the page properly WITHOUT IT!

I was able to view it fine!!!!!!!!
MomOfARocker
Canada

to chrisretusn

Re: Avast Partners with Facebook

If you don't know what my post was about by now I'm not going to repeat it a third time.

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4 to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear
said by Smokey Bear:

You are nervous about almost everything, isn't? Your attitude was and is just paranoid.

You can be paranoid without being nervous
Just install Sanboxie on top of No-script.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to poppster

Premium Member

to poppster
The only thing that bothers me about partnering - how far will it go?
If it only checks posts or whatever through the browser, that's fine.

If it wants to check what's on my machine - that is none of any AV except the one I pay for's business. I wouldn't put it past some rogue to start a scam.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
Philippines

Premium Member

to MomOfARocker
said by MomOfARocker:

If you don't know what my post was about by now I'm not going to repeat it a third time.

Not a problem.
said by MomOfARocker:

So sorta like the same thing with NIS 2013 that everyone over in the Norton forums is up in arms about. Many users are choosing not to upgrade (myself being one) and many are reverting back to 2012 or leaving Norton all together. I'm not planning on leaving Norton but I have no interest whatsoever in having anything to do with Facebook on my security program especially when it is currently not possible to disable it. So till that's changed I'll stay with the 2012 version.

Avast partnering with Facebook is not even remotely the same as Norton Toobar adding a Facebook share icon. This about providing a service to Facebook users. There is no change to the Avast program. It will only affect Facebook users.
said by "avast! blog » Facebook connects with AVAST to protect users" :
AVAST is sharing its Virus Lab data with Facebook in the combined attempt to prevent malware being shared unknowingly by Facebook users. Whenever someone clicks a link within Facebook, Facebook checks the URL in the AVAST cloud, in real time. If the URL is infected, the user sees a message warning of the potential threat.
I see this as a positive step for Facebook users.