how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

trainerman

join:2005-06-30
Columbia, MO

[MO] New Columbia, MO Channel

Flipping through channels tonight and noticed that 705 CW is now CW+HD. Apparently, the new channel parade has started a bit...

Spurge
Premium,VIP
join:2002-01-04
Columbia, MO

that one changed on the 18th, we had 705 before but it was an SD feed mapped to that channel now it is the HD feed.

trainerman

Columbia, MO

I guess I'm a little late then. I knew we had 705 in SD, but just noticed tonight the HD feed change. I wonder what new channels are coming? Heard anything?

Spurge
Premium,VIP
join:2002-01-04
Columbia, MO
reply to trainerman

Off the top of my head I believe there is 38 HD's and 3 SD showtimes being added for now.

trainerman

Columbia, MO

Can't wait! Off hand, how's your HD feed of KOMU? Mine is absolutely horrible...pixelation with any movement. Makes Sunday night football almost unwatchable. I've went with just a straight antenna to try over the air and get the same thing so I know it's not Mediacom, it's KOMU doing the pixelating.

KA0OUV
Premium
join:2010-02-17
Jefferson City, MO

They are having some equipment issues, and had to go to a fixed bandwidth for the two multiplexed signals. I talked to their Chief Engineer about it a few weeks ago. It prevents worse and even more catastrophic problems with the variable bandwidth multiplexing gizmo.

He hates what it does to the football as well. Hopefully they will have the monstrosity fixed soon.

Tim [KA0OUV]

KA0OUV
Premium
Jefferson City, MO
reply to Spurge

Spurge,

Will the Channel map simplify when all this is done? Will the duplicates in the map be reconciled?

Tim [KA0OUV]

trainerman

Columbia, MO

Ah, that's explains it. It's painful to watch as an HD snob. Let's hope it gets fixed soon.

I came from Directv and miss a simplified guide showing only HD versions of channels and sensible channel mapping. It seems Mediacom just tosses channels wherever they feel like it.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2
reply to KA0OUV

What I'd like to know is if/when we'll get channel names on clearQAM... It annoys the hell out of me that Centurylink has their clearQAM channels named, but Mediacom doesn't......
--
"When the hammer drops, the bullshit stops"

trainerman

Columbia, MO
reply to trainerman

I can remember KOMU pixelating way back in July, come to think of it. I hope they do have intensions of fixing it sometime.

KA0OUV
Premium
Jefferson City, MO

1 recommendation

reply to alphapointe

Hopefully we can be nice to Spurge and arrange regular delivery of cookies, and then he can set it up.

trainerman

Columbia, MO

I emailed KOMU about it a few days ago and they basically played dumb. They didn't really see any pixelization, but claimed football is really hard to broadcast without pixelization...I'm sure it is when you are trying to split limited bandwith between two HD signals. Bottom line is that it's a horrible picture. I told them that they should take a look at the HD picture for the NBC affiliate I had with Directv in KC if they wanted to see what it is supposed to look like. KSHB was perfect and beautiful no matter the movement.

I basically got the run around. I can't believe they can stand to put out a product that bad. I got the feeling they aren't going to do anything about it anytime soon because they feel there is no problem.