uniqs
share rss forum feed

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to Icarus

Re: Northeaster's, guess who's coming to dinner?

I had a long phone call and now Shep has made this a far more dangerous storm, or combination of a number of terrible storms.

Evacuating lower Manhattan? Really? We know people there. I suspect most people know people there.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to Icarus

Atlantic City boardwalk has gone to sea. Everyone there either "hunkered down" or evacuated.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to sortofageek

They're also liable to shut off electric there, as a preempt in case of flooding causing yet more damage.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

I had to run to the store and do my emergency hurricane shopping. I had forgotten and had NO food.

I just heard something about shutting the power off. This is dreadful.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

I'm hoping the Long Beach homeowners are insured for flooding.

Icarus
Department Of Redundancy Department
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to PeteC2

Power is still out and cable also. Tethered the phone so I have me some interwebz. Big tree across the road which is apparently the culprit. Overall we made out fine and much better than some of those down at the shore where apparently its a real mess. Keep those folks in your thoughts today as they begin to pick up the pieces.
--
Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
Team Helix- Folding@Home and Rosetta@Home

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

Thanks for being clever, so we can hear from you. The news reports have been frightening to say the least.

This storm will definitely be a huge exclamation point in U.S. weather history.

Hope all the others are ok, too. I really feel for those without power and no backup. It is miserable being cold and in the dark.
--

Icarus
Premium,Mod
Off Center

Fortunately its fairly warm here still. Mid 50's this morning and 60's later. Its Canadian Summer!

antbhill2
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-28
Northern VA

3 recommendations

Re: Post-Sandy checkin

SCKL and I are OK in northern Virginia area. Still have power, which is surprising given the fierce winds we had overnight.

Icarus
Premium,Mod
Off Center

1 recommendation

reply to PeteC2

More on the sinking of the HMS Bounty...

Coast Guard Hopeful About Finding Ship's Captain
--
Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to PeteC2

Click for full size
OMG!!! Effects of Storm Sandy, this is Hoboken NJ.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to antbhill2

Re: Post-Sandy checkin

said by antbhill2:

SCKL and I are OK in northern Virginia area. Still have power, which is surprising given the fierce winds we had overnight.

Thank you! I had heard before the storm northern Virginia, in that state, would likely be slammed hardest. So glad to know you are faring well.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to jaynick

I sort of panicked when I heard about the flooding, downed wires (nobody had a way of checking to see if any were still live) and the manhole covers washed away last night soon after the Chaotic Cat misappeared.

I do now know he is ok, but probably without power, like so many. Sure hope he has lots of blankets.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to PeteC2

GarGles is ok. ---> »[FP] Sandy fall out

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to PeteC2

Click for full size
Click for full size
CMP (Centrale Maine Power) was on my driveway cutting branches and repairing broken wires.
I have power again!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to PeteC2

Mark here, checking in! Lost power and cable/internet and phone yesterday not long after disconnecting the stuff.

Folks, I have to say, the wind was so hard up here on this hill that it sounded like a freight train (for real, just like the sound when a freight train accelerates from slow) was coming through the wall. Water was seeping THROUGH the wall from outside, some of my drywall was wet.

I went through Alicia in TX, and in some ways, it was worse but in a way, this was worse, the building I'm in just isn't too sturdy.

Alain's aunt lives in NJ near Wayne, we are worried because we can't reach her. Alain was pretty concerned about us here because it was on the news there in Cebu.

Bad storm. I hope they're wrong and this isn't how it will be from now on...
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing
Reviews:
·Shaw

Great to hear from people as they 'resurface' from the storm. Hoping that others are faring okay, too.

Also nice to hear that you're back in contact with Alain in Cebu, Mark, after having trouble getting in touch with her a few days back!
--
Jamais le mal n’aura le dernier mot. La foi et l’amour déplacent les montagnes de la haine.
- Marguerite (Maggy) Barankitse

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to PeteC2

Good to hear from some folks out there in Sandyville checking in. Hope more do so.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to squirt

Thanks Squirt. My ISP, a cableco, is also my telco, and calling with that line to her doesn't work very well, whereas a VOIP service does. I also have a monthly service, and she hasn't gotten the Sim for it yet. She's ok, but no longer working as a caretaker, it turns out her and her son were going through some unpleasant stuff and we had to get her out of there.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat

Welcome back!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

Bad storm. I hope they're wrong and this isn't how it will be from now on...

Glad you made it through. I'm believing those who aren't predicting doom and gloom, in many ways right now. Chin up. You did it. Glad you're ok.
--

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
reply to PeteC2

Anyone hear from mouser?
She took a big hit from the last storm out East. Prolly did again from this monster.
--
Come fold for a cure with us @ Team Helix.

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

Alain's aunt lives in NJ near Wayne, we are worried because we can't reach her. Alain was pretty concerned about us here because it was on the news there in Cebu.

News is saying cell phone, land line, interwebs and pretty much all communications are "spotty" at best right now. Might take a few days to get it all workin' again. They are working @ a fever pitch to get it all up again.

I know it's hard to to be patient, but try to be calm, and hope for the best.
--
Come fold for a cure with us @ Team Helix.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Indeed, don't panic. I don't think flooding occurred 15 miles inland in NJ, or did it? Probably she's lost all connectivity.

What is sad is so many of the structures that were damaged were just rebuilt after the storm last year, ain't that a kick in the head?

One of my sisters has a tiny cottage down at the beach, I haven't yet heard from her on how it fared. I'm gonna check in with her now.
--

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to PeteC2

I have a couple friends in NYC that can't believe how bad the storm was down there. He wasn't effects by any flooding. But it was close, by only two blocks! He still has no power as of this morning.
At least he and his family are safe.
Maine had a glancing blow, and it was still pretty bad. I can't imaging how bad it must have been and continues to be in the areas hit head on. My prayers go out to the folks hit by this MONSTER storm.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to rusdi

I haven't heard from her directly. However, indirectly, I know she reported she was glad to see Zelda back in Battery Park after the storm.

This is Zelda ---> »gothamist.com/attachments/arts_j···kAM.jpeg

I guess Zelda has lived there for about a decade. There is more to the story of Zelda. I'll see if I can find it.

Anyway, I think Mouser is fine.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

OK, here we go ---> »gothamist.com/2012/10/30/zelda_t···y_pa.php

Mouser tends to have ... ummmm ... unique? friends sometimes.

Icarus
Premium,Mod
Off Center

2 recommendations

Most of the NYC weekenders and commuters locally are still here in Connecticut. As well as folks from down the shoreline.No flooding inland just wind damage and power outages. Not a hotel room to be found and lots of extra cars in driveways. My friend Rich has several evacuees/co workers staying with him since Sunday. If you step outdoors anywhere all you hear is the sound of generators. Its a mess but could have been far worse on us. Im still without power and cable but hopefully that wont be for much longer. Im thinking tomorrow or Friday.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Cory you're not alone, K is still without power, the transformer is still sitting on the side of the road with the wires. The cables coming into my building also have a large tree limb tangled and bending the wires. Man!

Icarus
Premium,Mod
Off Center

1 recommendation

Powers back! Big thanks to the boys from Boston who came down and helped us out!