Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

1 edit

1 recommendation

Boxing is one of the sports I know best. It is certainly the sport that I have followed longest--60 years. It is a sport that I started watching as a young child. Every week for many years growing up I watched some of the best fighters in the world on TV. I went to the first PPV fights.

Steward certainly was one of the great trainers of all time. All ways a good trainer that made some mistake while younger he still greatly improved his skills with experience to be a truly great trainer.

IMO he also was without a doubt the best color commentator of all time. I suspect his lengthy and successful career as a trainer will push to the background his wonderful insights with articulate skills that he demonstrated as a commentator. His pre-fight predictions and why he was predicting the way he was picking. His accurate illuminating analysis in real-time of what was happening in a boxing match. His ability to see based upon not the obviously in the early rounds but small details that would later significantly change how the fight would evolve and in what direction. From that moment he was saying what was going to happen in a few rounds later--those changes often being significant reversal of fortune.

He also conducted himself a kind, gentleman, sportsman, and decent man that was totally genuine through and through. One has only to read the plethora of comments on his passing from a huge number of World and former World Champions he both trained, worked with and or worked against. They are unanimous in their praise and sincere in the depth of the sorrow at his death.