Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Snowy

Re: DynDNS Hacked?

said by Snowy:

How unique is the local part of the email address?
It's not uncommon for spammers to reuse the local part of an email address list by replacing the domain part with a different name.
e.g.,
a@msn.com becomes a@dyndns.com, a@gmail.com etc...

Assumes that OP has an '@dyndns.com' email account; but I don't see any such service at their site. OTOH, I have long had a paid DNS service from them, and opted to receive regular notices from them to an old Pacbell account, using Yahoo! Mail Addressguard.
My address is in the form, 'base-uniqueuser@yahoo.com'. In my case, Yahoo! has had insecurities, such that, 'user@yahoo.com' for any given Yahoo! Mail (or partner ISP) account might have been leaked.

In the OP's case, I assume he is familiar with the security of his ESP's servers, so it would br reasonable to consider a problem with the DynDNS subscriber mailing list.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

KodloN

@per4mance.cz
I can confirm what rebus9 wrote. I'm also using unique email alias for every eshop or service provider registration.
Today early morning I have recieved spam to dyndns email alias.
Sender: "UPS Services"
Subject: "Delivery problem # Error ID3433"
Contains link: http___www_agstrong_hu_RXBOORXKQB_html
(I have intentionally invalidated the link here)
I don't know if there is a chance to defend. Of course, I will cancel the alias.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by KodloN :

I can confirm what rebus9 wrote. I'm also using unique email alias for every eshop or service provider registration.
Today early morning I have recieved spam to dyndns email alias.

I have been watching my 'base-ddns@yahoo.com' email alias (the actual account is, 'user@pacbell.net'). But, as with the very nasty Yahoo! leak, I seem to be unaffected. In the case with the Yahoo! leak, victims had to have used a particular, newly purchased (by Yahoo!) service; I had not signed up for it. In this case, I am wondering if spammers have figured out that the 'base-uid@yahoo.com' is akin to a spamtrap; to be avoided.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum