Premium
join:2000-05-04
Dayton, MD
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to joepwpb

Re: [Info] Microsoft Store Online: Windows 8

said by joepwpb:

I discovered conflicting statements regarding Upgrading. The first page »www.microsoftstore.com/store/mss···Pro#tab3

States:

Upgrading to Windows 8
If your PC is running Windows 7 Home Basic or Home Premium, your files, programs and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8. If your PC is running Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your programs. Some features such as touch may require a new PC.

The second page »windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···PP_Light

States:

UPGRADING IS EASY
If your PC is running Windows 7, your files, apps, and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8 Pro. If your PC is running Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your apps. Some features such as touch may require a new PC. Check out our great lineup of new PCs, many of them are touch.

Transferring settings, apps, and files

»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···ection_4

So, does anyone know for sure which is accurate?

Joe P

Just to reiterate there two versions Win 8 and Win 8 Pro. The first section is for those who upgrade to Win 8 (the home version). The second section is for those who upgrade to Win 8 Pro.
--
...as an individual, I have a right to [do] what I think, what I feel, and I think we all have a right to our own destiny as individuals. And I think I have a right to choose mine and everybody else has a right to choose theirs.
»jonestown.sdsu.edu

joepwpb
Premium
join:2000-12-15
West Palm Beach, FL
Thanks jbgroup1...

Now lets try to figure out this one:

Important
If you choose to start your PC from removable media that you created when you downloaded windows 8 upgrade files, you won't be able to keep your apps, windows settings or personal files when you upgrade.

Joe P

jbgroup1
Non Conformist
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Dayton, MD
Unfortunately, I don't know what to make of that statement.

joepwpb
Premium
join:2000-12-15
West Palm Beach, FL
said by jbgroup1:

Unfortunately, I don't know what to make of that statement.

Thanks...I'll continue to search for an answer which I believe will benefit all of us here.

Joe P

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to joepwpb
I've just finished installing Win8 Pro after creating removable media (USB) from the $39.99 download link. After you click Setup on the USB stick, you have a choice a few screens later between an upgrade or clean install. The former, which I chose, lets you keep all your settings if you are upgrading from Win7 Home Premium.

Win8 is running well.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC
reply to joepwpb
said by joepwpb:

Thanks jbgroup1...

Now lets try to figure out this one:

Important
If you choose to start your PC from removable media that you created when you downloaded windows 8 upgrade files, you won't be able to keep your apps, windows settings or personal files when you upgrade.

OK, I downloaded Win8 Pro via our MAPS subscription. The download was an ISO DVD image, which I burned onto a DVD. I then ran the DVD Setup.exe from the Vista Pro desktop ( I did not boot from the Win8 DVD ). I was surprised that the install started immediately and did not require a reboot. Files were copied to the HD while Vista was still running.

I was not presented with any screen offering options of clean install vs. moving settings (that I recall) but I did not get a clean install. I got all of my personal files and settings moved over, along with non-functional program files in the Program Files folder that had no corresponding registry entries.