spc
uniqs
OldAuditor
join:2007-03-24
Oklahoma City, OK

OldAuditor to motisaz

to motisaz

Re: [IE] Registry Key

I have done all the steps recommended in he security forum and followed their instructions. Appears I do not have a virus or malware.

I would like the instructions on how to completely (as far as possible) to remove and reinstall IE 9.

Old
motisaz
join:2001-11-15
Cottonwood, CA

motisaz

A little investigation can help with the problem.

There are tons of Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware programs out there that attempt to lock your browser, home page, and address translation websites. It would be good to open each/any of these programs and see if there is a setting for this option.

In addition, there is Malware, including the Google and Firefox Redirector versions, that can cause similar problems. If your searches are directing you to unwanted or odd sites, you probably installed one of these Trojans, and will need to stop this process and follow up with that issue. Since these malware products normally accompany an authorized download presenting as a browser add-on, it can fool many protection programs.

Did your protection software detect any Trojan or Virus activity prior to the problem? It is possible the protection was incomplete and left a corrupted file or two.

Do you know the approximate date when the problem started? You can look at the files you created on that date, and use that information for a procedure that follows.

Do you have your Browsing favorites and cookies saved? You may wish to create a backup (click FILE, IMPORT AND EXPORT, then follow the instructions).

I will assume you are running Windows 7 since you have IE9, but other versions are similar:

First go to START, then CONTROL PANEL
Change Settings (top right) to LARGE ICONS (to match instructions)

Select PROGRAMS AND FEATURES and a list of installed programs appears.

Now here you have a few options:

First click the heading INSTALLED ON heading, and see if an odd application appears around the date your problems started. Be very suspect of any browser add-ons or search related software. If you find anything questionable, you can do a net search or make a note and uninstall it . . . you should be able to find it on the net later if it needs to be re-installed.

If the problem is gone after the re-boot, you have a fix, if not, continue.

If your computer shipped with IE8, you should have a record of the install of IE9 on the above page. Follow the above instructions and return to the PROGRAMS AND FEATURES selection.

Click on the NAME heading to place installs in alphabetical order, and look for the install of IE9. At that point you can select to uninstall the program.

If your computer shipped with IE9: from the PROGRAMS AND FEATURES page, and in the top left of the page, select TURN WINDOWS FEATURES ON OR OFF, then UNCHECK IE9

After either selection, you will need to reboot your computer.
Now use your Firefox and download a clean copy of IE9:

»www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· id=13950

If the install program requests a “repair” or “complete install”, I would suggest “complete”, but you could spend the time to try a “repair”.

Once installed, your system will require a re-boot. When opened, IE9 should request authorization as primary browser. Hopefully, if you don’t have the Google or Firefox Trojan, and you don’t have protection software that locks-in another setting, your system will now accept your browser selection.

Remember, you may need to run Windows Update a few times to bring your new install up to date. In addition, you can import your old IE9 settings from your back-up if they were lost.

Once again, I hope this helps!
OldAuditor
Oklahoma City, OK

OldAuditor

Thanks for the info. After all you wrote, I hate to say I've already been all the way down that road, but I have. Also been through the security cleanup forum here.

My machine shipped with IE7 and Vista. Have been through the upgrade to win7 32 Ultimate, IE 8, and IE 9. No problems until about 10-13-12. Very sudden, no installs that I know of. Primary problem is that trying to follow a hyperlink gives me a blank page with nothing in the tab. Example is that I go to answers.microsoft.com and click "sign in." Gives me a new blank page.

I know something is hosed but I have come to the end of what I know to do.

Old
motisaz
Cottonwood, CA

motisaz

Are you saying you already re-loaded IE9? I thought you were looking for a way to do that.

If you fell game to a re-director Trojan, here is some info for you:

»www.symantec.com/connect ··· web-page

Again, sorry to be re-inventing the wheel for you.
OldAuditor
Oklahoma City, OK

OldAuditor

I was looking to uninstall IE as far as possible. I cannot get past IE 8. There is some configuration file or registry key corrupted or set improperly. I am looking for those.

Thanks.

Old
motisaz
Cottonwood, CA

motisaz

Did you try the un-install sequence, and re-install sequence I suggested? It worked for me in the past.
OldAuditor
Oklahoma City, OK

OldAuditor

Yes. A couple of times. No change in behavior

Old
motisaz
Cottonwood, CA

motisaz

I hate to ever say I am stumped, but I am afraid there is more I don't know about what you have done or checked.

Here are a few links that could be of interest:

»[RESOLVED][Trojan] Internet browser redirected

»community.norton.com/t5/ ··· 8/page/2

The next thing that worked for me, do a date scan for all files that changed around the date your problem began, then look up each of the file names on the net. It is time consuming, but it does work to let you know what you are dealing with.

Good luck . . . sorry I couldn't help!