how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

xdxml12

join:2012-10-26

Speed between Switches & IDF MDF

Hello,

I had a question reguarding the types of speed and cable one should use when connecting switches in an IDF togeather, and then connecting those swtiches back to an MDF.

If I connect each switch in the idf togeather with gigabit ethernet, probably cat 6 cables, how do I know that these 1 gigabit inter-connections will support all the traffic between the switches without issues? What if the right speed that I should have used was 10 gigabit? How often is 10gigabit used to interconnect switches in the idf?

And this is the same issue im trying to figure out with connecting the IDF back to the MDF. Would 1 cat6 via gigabit ethernet speed be enough for all that traffic goign back to the MDF? Is there a general rule or something to follow so that I know what speeds to use when?

Also, why use fiber 1gb vs 1gb over cat6 if distance between mdf and idf is less than 100m.

Thank you for your time

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
Deciding between 1 and 10 Gbps depends on the application requirements. The kind of applications riding the the wire are usually SQL, databases, web, mail, or some type of data replication. Talking to the application vendors regarding the bandwidth and wire performance requirement is essential.

Once you have all of these requirements, you set up network requirements such as type of bandwidth, cable, speed, network gears, and network design. In some places, running 1 Gbps as LAN interconnectivity may be sufficient while other places requires 10 Gbps.

Switches are usually used for IDF, MDF, and LAN environment in general. Getting the right kind of switches are essential since different switch vendor offer different performances, features, and price ranges. Some places may feel sufficient by simply having Linksys switches while other places requires the real business-grade switches such as Cisco, Juniper, and Arista.

Deciding cable types to use also essential. Even though the physical distance between IDF and MDF is less than 100 m, the actual cable route between the two may be longer than 100 m hence require Cat 6 or even fiber.

In addition, you need to consider network growth to lay out IDF-MDF cross connect when larger bandwidth is required in the future which Cat 6 or fiber may be necessary then. Basically you don't want to rerun cable for these future need, especially when the need is just months or years away.

Some places prefer to use multimode fiber for all 1 Gbps IDF-MDF LAN environment cross connect while prefer to use singlemode fiber for all 10 Gbps as standard and future need anticipation. From the cable run cost perspective, it basically costs the same thing between laying copper or fiber since the difference are only the cable material and in some cases, the network equipment needed to support. Custom cable run for specific need that only some area run copper and other run fiber is simply not cost effective since the physical cable run is then more expensive.

xdxml12

Thank you for making this easy to understand. This is what I was looking for. Appreciate your help

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to xdxml12
said by xdxml12:

how do I know that these 1 gigabit inter-connections will support all the traffic between the switches without issues? What if the right speed that I should have used was 10 gigabit? How often is 10gigabit used to interconnect switches in the idf?

As aryoba noted, the only way you're going to know what speed you're going to need is to set up some sort
of detailed traffic / volume load analysis of what is needed now, and what may be needed in the future.
Understanding what the business requirements are from a latency, volume, reliability, etc view, and a toolset
like Netflow, Opnet, etc is needed.

As the old saying goes, "You can't manage what you can't measure."

Regards

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
Also, a trunk (etherchannel) will not increase the node-to-node throughput between switches. The src/dst (mac) are hashed to determine which link to use. Packets are not fragmented or interleaved -- there's no per-packet load balancing within a trunk.

xdxml12

reply to HELLFIRE
Got it. Will have to take a look at some of these tools. Ty very much

xdxml12

reply to cramer
Interesting. Ty