uniqs
share rss forum feed
« My idea.
This is a sub-selection from Rental Delays Breed Pirating

join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA
reply to thegeek

Re: Rental Delays Breed Pirating

Yeah it sucks. Same thing in the movie theaters. Last time I went it was about 30 minutes of promotions and ads before the movie started. Usually when you pay for something, you don't don't have to put up with ads. C'ept for the movie industry, who milks your soul for every last dollar they can squeeze out of you.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
And don't forget the ads written into the movie's script

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
Those are OK as long as they aren't glaringly obvious. Every vehicle in the movie is a new Ford? OK, I can deal with it, it doesn't distract from the movie that much. The lead characters carrying on a dialog for 90 seconds about how good a fucking Pepsi tastes? Ruins the movie.

MM42

@allstream.net
What movie has a character going on about how good a Pepsi tastes?

NPGMBR

join:2001-03-28
Arlington, VA
reply to 8744675
Personally I don't mind promotions at the Movie theater because I get to see whats coming and I've clocked the promotions at 15 minutes at theaters.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
reply to MM42
It was a generalization used to make a point. I don't have a specific example handy but I wouldn't be surprised if more than one exists.

I do have an example of blatant placement advertising, but it was in a TV show though. This season on the Showtime series "Episodes" (my wife likes it and forces me to watch it with her) two of the lead characters received new cars as gifts. I think they were Mercedes, but not entirely sure. Anyway, they were prominently displayed in most of the episodes. And in the episode when they first appeared one of the lead characters went on and on about the features of the car.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Wilsdom
said by Wilsdom:

And don't forget the ads written into the movie's script

DVR fast forward ad skipping are forcing those buying ads to move to this method. Technology that allows not watching ads is forcing TV networks to use alternate methods to fund content.
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to thegeek
My wife loves Project Runway. That show has become a 1 hour commercial basically. There was the Infiniti challenge, they always show random makeup stuff and then the people talking how they love the company's product. It's even built into the scripts.

LucasLee

join:2010-11-26
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to 8744675
said by 8744675:

Usually when you pay for something, you don't don't have to put up with ads.

you mean like with:
cable television.
sporting events.
xbox live.
newspapers.
magazines.
etc.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

DVR fast forward ad skipping are forcing those buying ads to move to this method. Technology that allows not watching ads is forcing TV networks to use alternate methods to fund content.

How do they know when viewers are fast forwarding through the ads on the DVDs?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum