join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
reply to Annmarie

Re: She's coming

I feel you... thankfully here in Northern Queens, whatever trees survived the Tornado we had 2 years ago, aren't going anywhere now I'm nervous about all the temporary scaffolding the brick masons use when refacing a building - like every other block around here has one, and they can easily blow loose and go right through a window. i'm less concerned with this storms intensity as i am of it's duration - we could see a long 36 hours of heavy rain and wind considering all the warm vs cold air energy and humidity factors the convergence of these 3 storms may bring with them as they collide.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to Annmarie

said by Annmarie:

I lived on the south shore of LI one home off the water during Hurricane Gloria and we lost all our trees.

THey were weeping willows which are known for shallow roots though.

9 days no electric and seaweed on the lawn.

The lawns all died from the saltwater but no one was hurt.

The National Guard came with bull horns and we had to evacuate which we had already planned to do.

Not a drop of water in the house.
That was the days of LILCo.
I remember crews came up from Georgia to help restore electric to some places.

I lived in Stamford when Gloria came through. About 1/2 mile in from the Sound but there was hill between me and there. Everyone kept calling me to get out because it was a low-lying area and they were evacuating that part of town. I stayed put because I doubted that a storm of Gloria's strength could force the Sound up and over a hill. 3 hours or so of strong wind and rain was pretty much all that happened south of the Merritt Parkway from the NY line to just west of Norwalk. Remarkably, the power which was notorious for going out on beautiful, sunny days, stayed on. My friends north of there, though, got clobbered with gazillions of trees and power lines down. A bunch of them emptied their refrigerators and came down to my place that afternoon and we had the mac daddy of all cookouts. Some of them didn't get their power back for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, it didn't thin the ranks of the trillion or so geese that owned Cummings Park.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY
reply to AVD

The MTA has announced they will be considering another full shut down of service starting 7PM Sunday. They will make a final decision tomorrow but it seems more than likely based on the track of the storm and the long duration nature of it.
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to AVD

I hate this. That is all.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to AVD

Prepared for the worst here in North Jersey
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
reply to AVD

Great. I need to drive down to downtown Brooklyn tonight then to move my job's backup hard drive array to a secure location before it hits tomorrow.

Storm day off! Woohooo!!!

squirrel83
cheers

join:2005-05-02
Honolulu, HI
reply to AVD

Just went to see how my local supermarkets were doing and found Key Foods in Astoria to be the lowest on water supplies but other than that Trade Fair and Rite Aid and most others were the norm.. . .

Current east river view

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
reply to AVD

am i the only one who thinks closing the subways is idiotic.

the worst of the storm is monday night into tuesday, and

this storm has not yet turned back inland. damn lawyers.

Annmarie
Lillian
join:2000-11-11
kudos:5

What I find odd is the Mayor is not calling for any evacuation but is shutting mass transit.

And on the other end - I hope Dune Road survives.
I love Dune Road.
And Robert Moses.

There was a time that I would have been stupid enough to head to the beach and watch the waves when I lived near the bridge.
Pretty cool actually. Or so it felt back when I was a teen.
--
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

Actually, there is a zone a mandatory evac in place at this point. Here's the map: »project.wnyc.org/news-maps/hurri···nes.html
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to Annmarie

said by Annmarie:

And on the other end - I hope Dune Road survives.
I love Dune Road.

I love Dune Road too.
And Plum Beach which still hasn't recovered from a hurricane several years ago. Hope they're still there when Sandy has passed.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to AVD

Our theme song:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqIQorTXIkk

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Packeteers

said by Packeteers:

I actually agree with him shutting it down today. It gave time for people to get home tonight and then it won't catch people AT work tomorrow.
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to AVD

Latest news in my neck of the woods...

Mandatory evacuation by midnight for #Hoboken ground floor apartments. Be a good neighbor & invite your downstairs neighbors over. #Sandy

1:47 PM - 28 Oct 12 · Embed this Tweet

1h Myles Helfand @myhelfy
@CityofHoboken did you mean to type BASEMENT apartments, or literally all apartments on the first floor of a building anywhere in town?

56m Kat Kollmer @Katkool12
@CityofHoboken any recommendations about cars in street level apartments

31m Nirav Patel @NirPatel
@CityofHoboken ground floor or basement apartments? Seeing both on the twitter stream. Keep the updates going! Nice work!

21m City of Hoboken @CityofHoboken
@nirpatel street level and below
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

3 edits
reply to PoloDude

polo, you forget about all the people with plans tonight - sunday night full of shows and dinners and Halloween parties etc - on a perfectly clear calm evening. if people are so stupid to leave work monday in a drizzle not to know they will come home that evening in a hurricane, then let them suffer for their stupidity - why should the rest of us have to. 8 to 12 hours later should have been the shutdown, not now... damn fools. besides these shutdowns should be to learn how to get the system down and back up as quickly as possible, not keep doing the same lame ass dance to the mayor's tune.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to AVD

If they made the curfew later, you'd have people ending up stranded or scrambling for ways to get home. If you postponed it until tomorrow, you'd have people who will be stuck because they can't get to work / call out / take care of kids / etc.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to Packeteers

said by Packeteers:

Yeah, they should close the subway Monday night to protect the rush hour.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York

You suspect it will take less than 24 hours to fully shut down the subway and bus systems I suppose? If the storm really does come inland tomorrow night, the MTA made the right choice.

I feel for those stranded though

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
reply to AVD

in case you can't get enough of Sandy;

»www.reddit.com/r/sandy

all the (dis)information you could want.

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island
reply to AVD

Click for full size
Taken today, I was lucky too, after i pumped my gas then went inside to find a busted ATM (wanted to cash up too) all the gas was gone and people were starting to freak out.

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6

Shouldn't that say "inconvenience"?

As I was filling my tank yesterday they were putting up similar signs.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
reply to AVD

Ugh, this is going to be horrible, even if it isn't as bad as they say. Gas stations will be out of gas, foods stores have no food. What a mess.

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to AVD

Sun'10pm analysis of the storm by an actual expert, not a TV ratings whore;

»www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMa···rc=sandy

Sandy's storm surge is expected to be at least a foot higher than Irene's. If the peak surge arrives near Monday evening's high tide at 9 pm EDT, a portion of New York City's subway system could flood, resulting in billions of dollars in damage. I give a 50% chance that Sandy's storm surge will end up flooding a portion of the New York City subway system.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
reply to AVD

The City of New York and Octobabble want you to be safe. »Re: [octobabble] Hooray!!!

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to AVD

From Hoboken:

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

And we haven't even started yet.

Annmarie
Lillian
join:2000-11-11
reply to AVD

For the LI'ers - here is an outage map from LIPA.

»www.lipower.org/stormcenter/outagemap.html

mckenna797
Premium
join:2004-08-25
Astoria, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Click for full size
Battery Park today and Sandy is not here yet

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ

The Holland and Brooklyn Battery tunnels shut down at 2PM.

E_V
Premium
join:2000-09-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to AVD

Thinking of my dslr friends out East, be safe everyone.