uniqs

DS256
Premium Member
join:2003-10-25
Markham, ON

DS256

Premium Member

Rogers Rocket Hub Long PING Times to Router

I am connected wirelessly with excellent signal strength. When I ping the Hub router, the ping times are all over the map from 10 ms to timeouts on waits of 100000 msec. Needless to say, this is affecting my connectivity.

On the 3G side, the Medium strength light is on.

I recently relocated the Rocket Hub from my cottage back to the city. In the country, I had excellent performance. Now here in the city, performance is lacking.

However, the local PING times are what concerns me.

Any guidance appreciated.
DS256

DS256

Premium Member

I think I answered my own question.

My Rocket Hub is in a 2nd floor bedroom window. My laptop is in the basement. On the wall beside my laptop is another Wireless Router.

I ran the utility inSSIDer and noticed that the transmitted channels seem to overlap others. My Rocket Hub was on channel 1 and the other router channel 2. Given the proximity of the other router, I thought is transmissions were interfering with the Rocket Hub.

I strapped the Rocket Hub to channel 11 and the local Hub to channel 1 and I have better response times.
DS256

DS256

Premium Member

Final update.

Found that I got the best signal (medium) in the upstairs bedroom at the front of the house. Only low in the back bedrooms. Problem is that where I use my laptop is in the back of the basement. Signal shows 'good' but latency is still all over the place.

So, finally invested in a couple of Ethernet over Powerline Adapters to create a LAN from my Rocket Hub to my laptop.

Not what I was expecting after the great performance at the cottage. Seems the Rocket Hub WiFi has issues on a crowed spectrum.