Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to mazhurg

Re: The end of ####?

They'll move from #### to a lot, a little, high, low, very high, very little?

"Transit costs are very high, profit is very low. Shareholder payout is almost nothing. Upkeep expenses are even higher than very high.
Markup can be low, but our costs are very high, so final tariffs should be even higher than very high.
In summary, we need a lot more. "

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
LOL.. you know. that's probably exactly what will happen!

that would make for a great headline in the news though! The high is very high and the low hits us hard and we dont like it lots and so it's a very high bad. big boom, bada boom! bada big boom!
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Yeah, but even if they cook the numbers there are enough people out there who would be able to put two and two together and see through the bullshit. That, and cooking the numbers too badly could have a negative impact on share or put them into a bad competitive situation with other incumbents.

Considering that we now seem to be in an era where the CRTC has no issue laying an incumbent over their knee and providing them with a hard spanking, it's likely that if the numbers are cooked and don't pass the sniff test, the CRTC would be quick to call them on it, too.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
said by Gone:

Yeah, but even if they cook the numbers there are enough people out there who would be able to put two and two together and see through the bullshit. That, and cooking the numbers too badly could have a negative impact on share or put them into a bad competitive situation with other incumbents.

Considering that we now seem to be in an era where the CRTC has no issue laying an incumbent over their knee and providing them with a hard spanking, it's likely that if the numbers are cooked and don't pass the sniff test, the CRTC would be quick to call them on it, too.

Any company issuing securities in the US has to comply with Sarbanes-Oxley. They HAVE to disclose lots of stuff truthfully & accurately, else their Dear Leader will have to watch out that he doesn't drop a bar of soap in the prison shower. I wonder how he'd Cope.

The information they have to file in the US in a prospectus or annual filings won't be Level II costing but there's a lot of stuff which can be used to figure things out. Ditto for analyst conference calls (also required to be truthful and reasonably accurate).

Atticka

join:2001-11-26
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Marc
Milla Jovovich fan?

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

....They HAVE to disclose lots of stuff truthfully & accurately, else their Dear Leader will have to watch out that he doesn't drop a bar of soap in the prison shower.

I wonder how he'd COPE....

....with the SOAP ?!

He'd prob'ly say something like "@#$%& !"

Which is quite different from "#####".

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Atticka
said by Atticka:

Milla Jovovich fan?

LOL yeah, I was surprised nobody noticed sooner! Fifth element more than her but ya. Great movie.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

daeron

join:2012-05-11
Ottawa
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by TSI Marc:

said by Atticka:

Milla Jovovich fan?

LOL yeah, I was surprised nobody noticed sooner! Fifth element more than her but ya. Great movie.

Another fifth element fan! huzzah we do exist! I love that movie

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
said by daeron:

Another fifth element fan! huzzah we do exist! I love that movie

Soooo many good lines in that movie, my favourite is "Negative, I am a meat popsicle" (which I manage to fit into every day conversation perhaps a little too frequently)

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
LOL that is a great line. I was watching it the other day.. it's on Netflix now.

Another movie with tons of a great lines is Fight club. some that can't really be repeated here hehe.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

daeron

join:2012-05-11
Ottawa
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by TSI Marc:

LOL that is a great line. I was watching it the other day.. it's on Netflix now.

Another movie with tons of a great lines is Fight club. some that can't really be repeated here hehe.

Another goodie. Demolition man!
"You can take this job and you can shovel it!"

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

I also re-watched it recently, it's a favourite. Well, I've liked most of the Luc Besson movies that I've seen, for that matter.

Randomly changing the subject, whatever happened to netflix caching? They don't peer at TorIX, so you can't get in on that, but are you big enough to justify getting one of their hardware appliances?
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
Yeah Besson has good movies. I was watching Arthur series not long ago. Pretty good, was surprised they didn't do better.

Netflix caching.. Yeah for sure. I'll get details of where that's at.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Randomly changing the subject, whatever happened to netflix caching? They don't peer at TorIX, so you can't get in on that, but are you big enough to justify getting one of their hardware appliances?

Just double checked... We've had it installed for over a month now. Seems to work well.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

An ISP the size of TSI would have no problem meeting the requirements stated by Netflix but that still doesn't guarantee they'll receive the appliance just as meeting peering requirements doesn't guarantee a network will peer with you. I have a hard time believing TSI isn't receiving in excess of 10Gb of traffic from Netflix's CDN partners at the moment.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
We've had it installed for a number of weeks now...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Etobicoke, ON
How many servers are part of the cluster TSI received?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
I'm pretty sure its the same as has been described around the web...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Etobicoke, ON
The setup is N+1 so it depends on how big the ISP is.. I'll assume 2 since that's the smallest installation.