Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to thegeek

Re: Rental Delays Breed Pirating

ads are showing up on store bought DVDs too. Which is wrong. They sold that DVD at retail which means they made a profit and a hefty profit at that. Going to figure in their sheer volume, it likely costs a studio maybe two bucks to get a DVD or Blu-Ray from fab to Walmart. blank media is exceptionally cheap per unit at the millions of disks volume, And when you ship out that much stuff UPS also offers a huge discount

Thankfully it is not wrong yet to rip the movie file from the disk and keep it on a media server.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
said by Kearnstd:

Thankfully it is not wrong yet to rip the movie file from the disk and keep it on a media server.

Look at the news on the front page of the site.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1
reply to Kearnstd
Companies can push ads on their customers only to a point before consumers lash back. Can you imagine if we had advertisements included with our purchased music?

My Led Zeppelin IV album would start out with "That chicken's got a certain...Wessonality!"...."Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove!"

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

You might want to check that assumption! I am not going to tell you to stop, but I searched on, "ripping dvd fair use", and came up with some interesting links, dating to 2006, where MPAA/RIAA not only believe it is wrong (both for CDs, and for DVDs), but plan to push it into law.

Personally, I don't see why they are so anal, other than pure profiteering.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to jmn1207
Thanks! That song will be playing in my little pea-brain all day!
--
Zach