Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos to McBrain

Premium Member

to McBrain

Re: Weird video issue

When you updated your video card drivers did you do a clean install or just install over the top of the old ones?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Over top of old ones.

I played for about 4 hours earlier with no issues. I'll have to see if disabling the ULPS was the solution or not.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to McBrain

Premium Member

to McBrain
said by McBrain:

Yeah, dx11 is enabled.

I just read on Tomshardware that there are some issues with the 7xxx series and ULPS.

I was directed to dl an ATI program that would disable ULPS automatically (ULPS has something to do with GPU power, etc.). I'm going to give that a shot as I just downloaded and ran it...so currently I'm running with ULPS disabled. I guess I'll see what happens in game.

If that doesn't fix it, I will try upping my GPU voltage.

What's the link to the ULPS issue? I've had weird DisplayDriver crashes since switching to AMD and assume it's a driver issue, and I'm interested in this fix.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Here's the thread on Tom's:

»www.tomshardware.com/for ··· -another

Here's the thread I found on overclock.net:

»www.overclock.net/t/1088 ··· -disable

Seems to have fixed my issue for now, hope it helps you

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

It's intermittent for me. It got really bad in WoW, crashing me several times at exactly the same place in Halls of Lightning and the panda four winds zone.

I tore apart my computer nearly completely (did everything but take the mobo out of the case) and rewired everything, then it wouldn't boot and I thought something crucial got fried, but started up after I swapped PSU cables to the GPU. Then it started crashing again, so I took off my external/USB GPU driving my second monitor.

I haven't had a crash in a week, but I'll be prepared to revisit the ULPS issue should I get another freeze. I am no stranger to GPU instability and have had my share of unstable Nvidia releases, so I'm not surprised when something graphics-related goes wrong in a gaming rig.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos

Premium Member

Everytime I have driver issues I do a clean wipe and install of all AMD stuff and it seems to fix it. i'm sure your already aware to do that though.

Just an FYI i'm currently running catalyst 12.11 beta drivers and they seem really stable. Definately helped out frame rates in BF3 and MOH.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I'm back to having hard lock-ups in WoW, mostly in Valley of the Four Winds, although I was also able to repeat it in HoL when leveling in the 70s.

Running crash dumps and verifier now and getting 0xC9 and 0x220 stop codes.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos

Premium Member

What brand of card did you end up getting? 7970 right?
Moos

Moos

Premium Member

I'd try a memtest just to single out memory one night when u go to bed. If that checks out then do a complete clean and re-install of your vid card drivers.
Maybe also check if there is a firmware update for you card? Sounds like the drivers did not install right to me. If that dont work RMA that shit. I have had zero problems since I got the 7950 and I abuse the hell out of this thing. Lol.

Another option is maybe it's not getting enough voltage under load. You could try something like MSI afterburner and throw a little more voltage at it and see if that fixes it. It should work stock though (I'm assuming your not overclocked), but I have heard of some instances where this was the case.

What's your procedure for cleaning out the AMD drivers? I have compiled a good amount of info over the past few years on what I deem the best way to do it if your interested.