Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1

[rant] You can forget about Blu Ray ever coming to the Mac now..

»www.macrumors.com/2012/10/26/phi···anymore/

not that it was ever going to happen anyways....

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Re: [rant] You can forget about Blu Ray ever coming to the Mac n

does iTunes offer full 1080p HD that can be played back on a PS3?

He seems to forget that ISPs are pushing into the age of Caps and Overages. physical media for HD formats and beyond will be the only route unless our connectivity changes back to the more unlimited angle.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

1 recommendation

Pretty sure that any video from iTunes can only be played back on Apple approved devices/software due to DRM. So, no-go on the PS3...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

or any other device or software. Where as I can rip a Blu-Ray and play it back on anything with enough storage space or bandwidth to the in house media server.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Kearnstd

There are plenty of standalone Blu-ray players and external drives available. If someone needs one, they can buy one.

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to mromero

as rjackal said, buy a BR drive from OWC and get »www.macblurayplayer.com/

now what's the big fuss??? You want a OWC drive to have a Mac logo on it? put that sticker that comes with the new one on it...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to mromero

Macs are losing their optical drives all together.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

1 recommendation

said by skeechan:

Can't make a super thin iOSX computer with a optical drive. Though you'd think to satisfy the masses, they'd at least make an external BRDVD drive.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

said by J E F F:

said by skeechan:

Can't make a super thin iOSX computer with a optical drive. Though you'd think to satisfy the masses, they'd at least make an external BRDVD drive.

According to a news article I read online today people aren't asking Apple for BluRay anymore - and honestly not putting BluRay on the Mac was a deliberate decision to push people forwards - away from using optical media for software distribution and towards using iTunes and other online sources for media streaming - it also freed up internal space to allow for smaller overall machines and saves Apple a few dollars per machine on hardware (and hardware repairs).

Honestly I have used my Mac Pro's superdrive so rarely that I have had to clean the dust out of it to get discs to read correctly. That being said I'll probably buy some form of USB external drive just in case I ever need to use some legacy software that is only on optical media when I do get my next computer.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to J E F F

Don't need to...3rd party is there, just like Apple doesn't make printers any more. Software support...like BRD burning would be nice, but I use Toast anyway. The problem is decryption. Even if the video cards included in Apple devices support it, it isn't supported in software. But players are so cheap these days I don't think there is a demand for BRD support in the Macs themselves. For playing movies you are better off just renting from iTunes or ripping BRD to MP4 video (which is what I do). Ripped video is then supported on all Macs and iOS devices.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

said by skeechan:

Don't need to...3rd party is there.

I was just going to ask that.
quote:
For playing movies you are better off just renting from iTunes or ripping BRD to MP4 video (which is what I do). Ripped video is then supported on all Macs and iOS devices.

I want to think that blu-ray is just too slow for anything computer. In a way it's a niche device only suitable for watching movies. I wonder if there are licensing issues for the blu-ray standard.

EDIT: Oh! Apparently someone thinks alike. From the article:
quote:
...given the overwhelming trend towards downloaded media, these are certainly niche products.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

The superdrive that I replaced on my MacBook with an ssd is one of my favorite drives I've had (beyond the highly annoying LACK OF AN EJECT BUTTON).

Its my number one external drive currently. They should at least make an external bluray drive..

Da Geek Kid

huh? Apple makes no hardware themselves, I hope you know that.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Metatron2008

You can buy external BRD drives, just not "by" Apple, just like you can buy printers, just not by Apple. I have LG BRDs on both my Mac Pro (internal) and mini (external) at my office. The problem is native OS support...that is missing just as BRD support was missing from Windows (at least on my Win 7 machines). I have no problem authoring discs using Toast. Playback of retail encrypted disc is the problem but not so much for me since I rip everything for my library anyway...DMCA be damned.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to Da Geek Kid

said by Da Geek Kid:

huh? Apple makes no hardware themselves, I hope you know that.

No crap. They are good at enforcing good standards, as the drive is faster then the other external dvd writers I've owned..

Da Geek Kid

standards? how's that? Blueray standards is owned and operated by Sony. An OEM may make a faster drive and apple may select that, is all... That ain't no std I have heard of...

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to howardfine

Problem with streaming is it eats bandwidth. There are a few companies [mostly game ones], that are already complaining about the impact of caps and overage fees have on their business.
Apple and PC makers should take that into consideration, and either join the fight against caps/overages, or still make a way for people to watch/play media in the traditional manner.

Also, after reading about how amazon wiped a customers kindle device [showing that we really don't own electronic media that we buy], I'd be kind of cautious about buying any electronic media.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

said by Snakeoil:

Apple and PC makers should take that into consideration, and either join the fight against caps/overages, or still make a way for people to watch/play media in the traditional manner.

Help us, Google. You're our only hope!

bob1

@comcast.net
reply to Da Geek Kid

said by Da Geek Kid:

Blueray standards is owned and operated by Sony.

no its not

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Correct, it's the Blu-Ray Disc Association and one of the board members is Apple. Dev and licensing is done by the BRDA.

Da Geek Kid

Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to mromero

yeah, OK. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Founders

I do not see Apple's name in the Founders which means apple had no part in designing, or creating the "standard." Their name is in BRDA so that they could get great pricing and selling it any which way they can within the standards.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

BRD has evolved since its founding. We have no idea who has contributed what to the platform since its inception. But no matter, even if Apple had nothing to do with anything, they could license it if there was actual demand for it (just as they started supporting USB 3)

DarkSithPro

join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to mromero

I bet Apple could tell everyone tomorrow they're dropping USB support and everyone in the Apple forums would be like "No big deal, I hardly use USB", "I only use thunderbolt, Mac users don't use USB anyways".

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by DarkSithPro:

I bet Apple could tell everyone tomorrow they're dropping USB support and everyone in the Apple forums would be like "No big deal, I don't use USB hardly", "I only use thunderbolt, Mac users don't use USB anyways".

It's funny you should say that, because I've noticed that I've been using USB less and less all the time, I have a Thunderbolt monitor, I have been considering a thunderbolt external drive to replace my USB external for storage, and I've been wondering if other Mac users even use USB anymore ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

3 edits

I use USB all the time; wacom tablet, syncing iPods and Android, SD adapters, receiver for my solar KB, MIDI box...

Portable drives are FW and printers are wireless or on a print server but I still use USB all the time.

But optical drives aren't comparable to "USB", more akin to floppies. Floppies fell out of favor but you can run an external if you really need it. Optical drives are the same way. I only use mine to rip CD, DVD or BRD. I can't remember the last time I actually used them for Mac/PC software, maybe the rip of my Office 2011 disc. All of my software are downloads, like Windows 8 yesterday, Steam, or Quickbooks & Office 2010 from Amazon. I not missing an optical in my MBA, never use the one in my MBP. Thinkpad uses that bad for a 2nd battery or 2nd HDD. In my old iMac I never used the onboard drive, always my LG. So I wouldn't miss having one in a new iMac.

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

I took out my supper drive out of my MBP almost two years ago. I took out my wife's earlier this year. She never used hers. I hardly used mine and it was only to rip a few movies. All software is downloaded now. I download most (if not all) media now.
I don't even have a dvd player hooked up to my tv.
My kids (years 8, 4 and 4) don't even know what a dvd is, lol.
--
Money can't buy you happiness ... But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by vukodlak75:

My kids (years 8, 4 and 4) don't even know what a dvd is, lol.

Funny you say that...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd3zF1CCLmI

neuronbob
THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS. NONE.

join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH
reply to mromero

I couldn't care less about the lack of Blu-Ray on Mac products. I have a dedicated setup in my living room for hi-def movies. Everything else I can stream. Besides, most first-run Blu-ray releases have an included digital product or SD-DVD included.

I've already lived my life around this and will continue to. This only affects you if you want a Mac-based HTPC or if you want to take advantage of Blu-ray's massive storage allowance, in which case you can use an external drive. There's also the option of ripping your Blu-ray movie and playing it from your Mac or Mac-based HTPC. It's a non-issue at this point.
--
neuronbob.com