All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kylez
join:2009-03-26

kylez

[DSL] [BC] ADSL or still PPPoE?

I don't believe it specifies which type of service TekSavvy is offering in BC for DSL. Is it still PPPoE? or is it now ADSL?

Thanks, and sorry for my neglect if it does state it somewhere on the new site

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

1 edit

squircle

ADSL and PPPoE are different things, and certainly aren't mutually exclusive.

Edit: listen to Gabe.

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

Actually ADSL uses ATM to encapsulate Ethernet to Encapsulate PPP.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to kylez

MVM

to kylez
And it's the ATM that produces the enormous overhead, not PPPoE.

PPPoE has relatively little overhead, something like 36 bytes for a frame, and the frames are large. ATM, on the other hand, 5 bytes of header on 53 byte packet, but they're fixed size packets.

The best case overhead for ATM is a 48 byte payload, so 53/48 = ~10% overhead right there. The rest of the typical 15% ADSL overhead is largely TCP and IP and the other layers.

The worst case overhead for ATM (other than very small payloads) is a 49 byte payload, because it takes two ATM cells, which means 49 bytes of payload and 116% overhead...

ATM originally served a purpose. By dividing data into tiny cells of 48 bytes, very effective QOS could be performed. It took a small amount of time to send an individual cell, so the time before the system could reprioritize something was very low. This was relevant when ATM was invented, because 1.544 megabit T1 lines were common, and sending a 1500 byte ethernet packet would take almost 8 milliseconds.

Today, however, a 10GigE line can send a full-sized 1500 byte ethernet frame in far less time than a T1 can send an ATM cell, rendering ATM completely useless. We're simply left with the horrible overhead it induces.

ATM itself has a rather amusing history. When defining the standard, the US wanted a 64-byte payload to balance between overhead and transmission time. Europe wanted a 32-byte payload because it would make echo cancellation unecessary on long links (from one end of France to the other, for example). In the end, the standards body picked 48-bytes as a compromise and nobody was happy.
kovy7

kovy7 to kylez

to kylez
It's like nobody answered the OP...

I think he is asking, is it PPPOE or DHCP...
kylez

kylez to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
said by TSI Gabe:

Actually ADSL uses ATM to encapsulate Ethernet to Encapsulate PPP.

So, what's offered under the residential plan?
mactalla
join:2008-02-19

mactalla to kylez

to kylez
@OP:
ADSL in BC uses PPPoE for authentication, not MAC addresses or circuits. Speaking for the residential setup. I don't know if business is the same or different.