share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

2 stroke help

My engine keeps cutting out after like 30 seconds or so, smoke is blueish more then I've seen, it runs if I press the throttle linkage but it won't run that long if not pressed

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
getting oil in the carb???

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
Aren't 2 strokes supposed to have fuel/oil mixture? So oil in the carb is normal.

I hate two strokes. Pain in the ass to start and you can't use the fuel you mixed for it on other engines.

Does it run longer on half choke? Does it die sooner if you don't press on he gas? Then the fuel is old and carb is gummed up.
I revived my weed trimmer two stroke by draining all the fuel out, soaking the carb with aerosol seafoam, forcing it to eat that seafoam, and starting from fresh fuel again.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
fresh gas just put in.. sometimes it will run for maybe 1-2 min and then dies as if the fuel flow is not constant.

Last time I ran it was in Aug but when the fuel was gone I made sure to use any remaining fuel left in the carb.

I opened the screw at the bottom of the carb and the gas kinda streams out but it's not a steady unbroken flow.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
Fresh gas won't ungum the carb. Old fuel will still bring problems even if it didn't sit in the carb.

Pour some seafoam in the tank (empty the tank first), then try to pump some of it through the fuel line and into the carb, pull the string a couple of times to really get that stuff everywhere. Let it sit for a while (An hour maybe?). After that drain it all out and put the gas/oil back in.

Your symptoms are identical to my weed trimmer when it was gummed up.

Tons of smoke
Dies after 10-30 seconds only if I hold down the gas lever on full.
Dies in 2-3 seconds if I don't hold down the gas lever (basically 2-3 seconds if idling).
Lasts a little bit longer if on half-choke (and then 50 times more smoke).

I admit though that I first tried running the weed trimmer with seafoam added to the fuel and ran it on half-choke for maybe 30 minutes (Basically a full session of weed trimming). It didn't help with the no-choke so that's when I started fresh with a dry carb + seafoam spray.

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada
reply to Subaru
maybe you mixed to much oil in it?

we have a trimmer and the last time i added some fuel mixed with oil the mix was to rich in oil and it keep stalling. I added a bit more of unmixed fuel and everything was ok after that

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by XoX:

maybe you mixed to much oil in it?

we have a trimmer and the last time i added some fuel mixed with oil the mix was to rich in oil and it keep stalling. I added a bit more of unmixed fuel and everything was ok after that

nope, I mixed the required 50:1 it called for.. in my case I had a pre mixed bottle I wanted to use.

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

My engine keeps cutting out after like 30 seconds

What model engine/equipment are you talking about? How old is it? Certainly sounds like a fuel flow problem...

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Subaru
My guess is it sat for a while and oil sepaeated from gas --or condensation.... Both bad.
Dump it, flush it, refill it, and try again...

Be happy if it isn't clogged.

Can you say Sta-Bil?
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by Jan Janowski:

Can you say Sta-Bil?

I dont even trust that stuff anymore, let alone trust that stuff in a fuel/oil mix, who knows how much the oil is diluted if you use that.

Subaru will need some carb cleaner, a strong shoulder (To pull that starter string very often) and patience.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
I never keep fuel in the tank, the longest time I did was 3 weeks over the early summer and never again, I assume it was smoky because it was sitting, as it was starting to heat up in it's 1-3 min when it was running cycles hardly any smoke was made.

I don't have carb cleaner but I do have seafoam and brake cleaner..

I was going to buy Sta-Bil but was unsure how it would react to a fuel mix like that.

The engine is a generator.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Subaru
I had same issues and all was resolved by using AMSOil 2stroke oil and the AMSOil Gasoline Stabilizer... Add the stabilizer first to the gas and mix than add the 2stroke oil.

I have never had smoke of any color (clear) or hard time starting it...

btw-- I DO NOT have any associations with AMSOil. They just make great products. Also, I would recommend servicing the engine every 2 or so yrs...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
The other oil I used to mix was the one sold at walmart Green earth

mine looks like this but it's a squeeze bottle, I had less smoke with that I just opted to use the other bottle.

»www.amazon.com/Green-Earth-Techn···&sr=1-25

Da Geek Kid

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Subaru
Don't use any snake oils... Waste of money.

Take the plug out and inspect it. If it's lightly darkened with carbon black, clean it with sandpaper. If it's worn, replace it with new.

Take the float bowl apart. Be careful you don't lose any parts. Take the float assembly off and you will see the needle valve. Remove it (again, don't lose anything). Spray the needle valve and all the float surfaces with carburetor cleaner. Remove all traces of varnish. Put the needle valve back in and the float. But the bowl back in place and tighten snugly, but not too tight.

Spray out the carburetor and work the throttle plate to get any gunk out.

Start the engine. It may be flooded from carb cleaner. Hold open the throttle until it starts. There should be a float level adjustment screw on the bowl. Turn it clockwise until the engine starts to stall (or stalls). This is where it is starving for gas. Then turn it back out 1 turn.

Now do a lean drop on the carburetor. Start the engine and turn the idle mixture screw counterclockwise until it starts to stall. Now turn it back clockwise until the idle just smooths out.

After doing all of this, you may have to adjust the idle speed. There should be a stop screw on the throttle linkage. This sets your minimum idle speed. Turn it clockwise to increase the speed and counterclockwise to lower it.

Da Geek Kid

I whole heartily agree with sly... Who'd need snake oil when you are up in your arms in carb and throttle plate and Cleaners...

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:6
Sea foam dood.. make a mix of 50/50 gas/oil mix and sea foam, then run it as much as you can. This will clean out the carb and get ya back to normal.. Changing the plug isnt a bad idea either tho

good luck

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

1 edit
reply to Subaru
Who is using snake oil? The only thing I had to buy was a new fuel hose because when I took the clamps off the line cracked $1.50

and the generator runs fine now, I soaked the whole carb in seafoam minus the fuel float and the needle for maybe 10 min and blew out all parts including the jets with the air compressor.. after getting the hose and putting it back together it runs like a champ, only thing is I forgot to use 89 octane and I used 87 but it seems to be fine.

pictures since I know you love them.. hard to say what caused it..

bowl was pretty clean from the start

--

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
That looks effin' clean now...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by Zorack:

That looks effin' clean now...

It really was never dirty inside the outside had specs of dirt on it and all but a cleaning can't hurt Plus it was my first time cleaning a carb really simple..

makes me want to get this 2 stoke weed eater motor running now that I took totally apart to clean it but the parts need replacing like the primer and fuel lines.

Here is the video

Started on the first pull which is not bad at all given normally it takes 2-3 pulls on a cold motor.

I pored some 2 stroke oil down in the cylinder without the sparkplug to lube the walls, plug was normal

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOm-E8xNbHo

--

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to Subaru
I have used SeaFoam to get a motor running that sat for 15 years. It worked! To me it's miracle stuff.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
It works well ran my generator for 8 hours straight with no issue I should go drain the Carb now

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
reply to Subaru
Good onya for the DIY carb clean. I like your style. Beats paying someone $100 to do the same.

As you may well know, those brass screws with the little bitty holes in them are jets. They are what regulate the amount of fuel that later up the pathway mixes with the intake air to allow correct combustion. It doesn't take much kack to block a jet. The hole size is (generally speaking) an ultra precise opening designed to allow just the correct amount of fuel to pass. It appears you may have one for idle, and another for operating RPMs. Not sure.

From the yawn department - when tuning a carburetor equipped motorcycle, if we increase air to the motor via a low restriction air filter and / or drilling the air box, and adding less restrictive exhaust piping, we usually introduce larger than factory fuel jets to compliment the increased air flow. Increased horsepower is often the result when stringent very lean for world emissions specs are the factory standard. A dyno run is good to prevent over fueling, although some seem to enjoy that over fueling condition and the increased horsepower it can offer. I got lucky with my bike and ended up with a perfectly flat torque curve along the full RPM range, and perfect fuel to air. Not bragging, for I used a calc app a buddy wrote. Kudos go to him.

On portable two strokes used in multiple operating positions, I often find the fuel line kinked and offering a no / low fuel condition. An example is a plastic fuel tank on a Stihl leaf blower with the fuel filter attached to a length of fuel line inside the fuel tank. I frequently need to turn the blower upside down when blowing out rain gutters with a long outlet pipe. Every now & then the fuel line will get a kink in it while doing this. A quick shake in the fuel line down hill position usually cures the problem.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
most say you can clean the jet with a wire but you have to watch to make sure you don't change the size.. Having said that I don't know what wire size would fit in the jet.

Grumpy
Premium
NW CT
Wood toothpick maybe? Never tried it.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
The toothpick I have are too fat lol

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Nylon bristle off a tooth brush.

Grumpy
Premium
NW CT
reply to Subaru
Porcupine quill

Just be careful during the procurement phase.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
haha got it

demir
Premium
join:2010-07-15
usa
reply to Subaru
Seafoam is great stuff --- I use that or Sta-bil.

Any fuel I put in my equipment I always add a stabilizer --- and ensure I run them out of gas if they'll be stored for more than a few weeks. This will prevent the 'gum' from ever building up in the first place.