spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tito3052525

join:2012-10-26

[Modem] Not getting right speeds

when i go to speedtest.com i get 5mb to 6mb and when i play video games and and download i get like 786kb i think its the setting in my modem and not that good in networking soo can you explain step by step to help me

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by tito3052525:

when i go to speedtest.com i get 5mb to 6mb and when i play video games and and download i get like 786kb i think its the setting in my modem and not that good in networking soo can you explain step by step to help me

The Internet is not a monolith. Your apparent speed will vary depending on to where you are connected, and what you are doing. To find out what speed tier you are actually getting from AT&T, you can just go to the modem stats page and see what your sync rate is. I can't provide you with step by step instructions for that since you did not specify what modem you are using, but there is typically a rather straight forward menu system that you can navigate to find the status/stats page(s).

Most AT&T supplied modems can be accessed by going to »192.168.1.254 in your web browser, but there are exceptions. If that does work for you (and if you run Windows), open a command prompt and type the command ipconfig /all. One of the lines of information that is returned is your Gateway, and that will be the IP address of your router (and that is probably the modem/router used for your AT&T Internet connection).

FWIW, shown below is the status page from the Netopia 3347 modem/router that I use for my backup Internet access. It shows that the sync rate is 3548/379 kbps, but believe me, the real speed to every server on the Internet is not going to be 3548/379 kbps.

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

godsmacked92

join:2012-11-06
reply to tito3052525

You're getting just about the right download rate. Here's how you calculate it.

1. Multiply your speed in megabits by 1048576 (the size of one megabyte in bytes).

2. Divide the result by 8. The result will be in bytes.

3. Divide again by 1024. The result will be in kilobytes.

If, for example, you have a download speed of 6 megabits, you will end up with the result of 768 kilobytes.

1 byte = 8 bits
1 kilobyte (K / Kb) = 2^10 bytes = 1,024 bytes