how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

trainerman

join:2005-06-30
Columbia, MO

Wndr3700v2 external antenna kit

Are those external antenna mod kits worth the trouble for increasing signal strength on 3700's v2?

Thanks!

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
You cannot and should not use external antennas with the WNDR3700 because the "N" technology it uses is highly specialized and TUNED to the antennas contained within the unit. "N" changes the way antennas are implemented --- so the OLD WORLD way of thinking about antennas [for indoor usage] has dramatically changed.

If your issue is performance and range you can improve both by how and where you locate the wireless router.

The rule for PLACEMENT is as follows:
1. as high as possible
2. within the DWELLING as central as possible

99.9 % of people disregard the rule for placement because they love to look at the LEDs flashing away and will not bother spending the time and money needed to place the wireless router in the most optimum location in relationship to all wireless clients.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

trainerman

Columbia, MO
But, what if I don't have any intentions of using n, just b ang g for the router's life most likely?

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
said by trainerman:

But, what if I don't have any intentions of using n, just b ang g for the router's life most likely?

The antenna housing is internal so you would need to make alterations to the case etc. IMO far to much work and additional cost to make things work the way you want them to work --- however if you are very handy with tools and understand what may need to be done you possible could do it on the cheap.

Since you are only interested in b,g it would be a lot cleaner to simple get someones discarded wireless router --- many [thousands] are being discarded to garbage dumps --- spend some time asking around --- you probably can buy on ebay for $10 - $20 or even less although shipping would cost more than the device I've discarded over 100 b,g units to the recycle joints myself.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

trainerman

Columbia, MO
Thanks, I appreciate the info. The kits they sell on eBay make it fairly easily to install. No soldering and just a couple of small holes to drill through the side of the housing. Having worked on electronics before, I feel comfortable doing it.

»www.ebay.com/itm/7dBi-Antenna-Mo···a27e4030

However, I just want to make sure it's worth my time. If it's only going to get me a small upgrade in signal strength I just rather get a repeater.

If I'm usually getting 15-17 down on WiFi, do you have any idea just how much of a speed loss I would get if I add a NetGear repeater? I believe I read there will be a loss with any repeater, but just how much?

Again, thanks for your help.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
With a repeater you will lose 50% of the bandwidth.

trainerman

Columbia, MO
Thank you for your help! Much appreciated.