share rss forum feed

Ukiah Jim

join:2011-04-21
Ukiah, CA

2 edits
reply to JSheridan

Re: [WildBlue] WildBlue installers..question about required spar

said by JSheridan See Profile
Yes, you can use the spares on your last job. The only problem is you won't have a spare on your last job.
[/BQUOTE

Haha.....that would be my luck!

The not so funny part is.....I just did my third install yesterday, 60 miles from home, no spare. Modem was DOA. Needless to say...it sucked driving there and back to finish the install. The only reason I don't yet carry a spare is, the guy I'm working for said, "do a few jobs, and don't worry about spending the money on that right away.....equipment rarely fails". It's not his fault, but talk about Murphy's law.

When I called partner support, they basically said the same thing......you can use the equipment on a job, and it will show that it's not a ship/lease(or something like that), and they will pay for the system,. but he thought it meant an entire system, dish included, not just modem and tria, so now I'm wondering if I can order an entire system from DSI for not much more, throw the dish in the corner, carry the modem and tria, and install the entire system if I get out of the business.

JSheridan

join:2006-07-03
USA

said by Ukiah Jim:

said by JSheridan See Profile
Yes, you can use the spares on your last job. The only problem is you won't have a spare on your last job.
[/BQUOTE :

Haha.....that would be my luck!

The not so funny part is.....I just did my third install yesterday, 60 miles from home, no spare. Modem was DOA. Needless to say...it sucked driving there and back to finish the install. The only reason I don't yet carry a spare is, the guy I'm working for said, "do a few jobas, and don't worry about spending the money on that right away.....equipment rarely fails". It's not his fault, but talk about Murphy's law.

When I called partner support, they basically said the same thing......you can use the equipment on a job, and it will show that it's not a ship/lease(or something like that), and they will pay for the system,. but he thought it meant an entire system, dish included, not just modem and tria, so now I'm wondering if I can order an entire system from DSI for not much more, throw the dish in the corner, carry the modem and tria, and install the entire system if I get out of the business.

I don't think I would ever do an install without a spare unless it was about a mile away.

We bought an extra system, dish included, for the spare parts. I think it's less expensive if you buy just the TRIA and modem than a whole system but I'd rather have the system so I can sell it at the end, not only if you get out of the business but also when the next generation equipment comes along.

Ukiah Jim

Ukiah, CA

Trust me........lesson learned, haha.

That's a pretty good idea on buying a complete system.

I have to see what an entire system would cost. The Surfbeam 2 modem and tria are just under $300 shipped, so if it wasn't much more for the entire system, it would be smarter, I'd think.

JSheridan

USA

It shouldn't be much more than that. The shipping is what hurts the most. They pay the shipping on the lease/ship but you and I pay it on the spare parts and systems we buy on spec.

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by JSheridan:

It shouldn't be much more than that. The shipping is what hurts the most. They pay the shipping on the lease/ship but you and I pay it on the spare parts and systems we buy on spec.

WB does pay $20 towards the shipping when you buy vs lease ship
In my case shipping is a little more than 20 but it helps

JSheridan

USA

said by Liberty:

said by JSheridan:

WB does pay $20 towards the shipping when you buy vs lease ship
In my case shipping is a little more than 20 but it helps

I forgot about that because it still costs us $30 on top of the $20 they pay.

Ukiah Jim

Ukiah, CA

You guys that have actually been paid by WildBlue for equipment that wasn't lease/ship.....who actually paid you?
Reason I ask is, I called DSI, who is the distributor for the retailer I work for, and they also pay him his commissions and whatnot, and the guy I talked to said, they can't pay for a system that I provided, because they can't get that money from WildBlue......something like that. I'm not getting a straight answer from anyone, so figured I'd ask you guys that experienced this firsthand, how it pretty much works. Thanks!

JSheridan

USA

said by Ukiah Jim:

You guys that have actually been paid by WildBlue for equipment that wasn't lease/ship.....who actually paid you?
Reason I ask is, I called DSI, who is the distributor for the retailer I work for, and they also pay him his commissions and whatnot, and the guy I talked to said, they can't pay for a system that I provided, because they can't get that money from WildBlue......something like that. I'm not getting a straight answer from anyone, so figured I'd ask you guys that experienced this firsthand, how it pretty much works. Thanks!

We get paid for the system + $20 freight from DSI after it's activated.

Ukiah Jim

Ukiah, CA

Yes, but is that from a system that you originally bought from your distributor?

The reason I ask is, I called DSI again today, who is the distributor for the guy I work for, and they said if I was to use a system that I got myself, regardless of who I got from, if it didn't go through their sales channel, I wouldn't get paid for it.

I originally set out to get a spare modem and tria from the WildBlue shop, and then thought maybe I'll check Ebay, see if I can find someone that is getting out of the business, or whatever, and selling their spare. Money is tight, so figured it's worth a try.

I ran across this
»cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi···:US:1123

and was told about getting paid for systems you install, and this looked like a chance to make some extra money on the systems.

I'm still in contact with these people, but it doesn't sound like you can simply get $360 for installing a system from just wherever.

Anyway, I might buy one of these, and with shipping, it would cost me about $170, and I'd have an entire system, which includes my required spare modem and tria....for over $100 less than the modem and tria would cost from the WildBlue shop.

JSheridan

USA

I wouldn't buy from anybody but DSI or WildBlue if I expect to get paid for the equipment when using it as either a primary or a spare. If you need the spare and use it then you better get paid for it and you probably won't if it's not from an approved sales channel.