pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

No WiFi!

So the trusty Linksys WRT54G I've had for years has died. It is amazing how useless things like tablets and iPod Touches are without Internet.

So I'll be getting an 802.11n AP at some point.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

Linksys E3000

I replaced my WRT54GL with a E3000. Striped the OEM software and am running Tomato.... It is flawless!

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

Re: No WiFi!

Apple Airport, the best router I've ever owned.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
yep, my neighbors v8 is the same way.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to Dominokat

to Dominokat

Re: Linksys E3000

The E3000 is a solid performer. A client friend has a few and they rock.

Wait till I tell him I can turn them into a 600 dollas router with DDWRT.

Dave
morph69
join:2001-09-03
Penetanguishene, ON

morph69 to pnh102

to pnh102

Re: No WiFi!

have 5 of them set up lol.... one just as a central hub... no wireless enabled just as dhch server and master, that serves to 3 on outside corners of house set up as relays to main unit all clients hardwired and broadcasting to (2500 sqaure foot 120 years old with 18 inch thick walls lol)... and have set up up two into bridge mode serving neighbours all the media & my internet connection... about 400 feet away too... have transmit & receive antennae turned up to 80 percent. Have master set to rest every day automatically... i dont think i have even opened up a config page in over a year on the units (i did replace one that died about a year ago)

Pick them up in garage sales and thrift stores... and some right out of garbage...\

I have set up a few office too... I tell them that i am selling 8 year old routers that work the best.... NEVER get calls, things always work, unit never die, they are THE BEST
morph69

morph69

And as a note its a network thats see A LOT OF TRAFFIC... have a computer in my office that serves out a array of about 10 terabytes of media... at any given time there is a windows MCE running in the living room, two wiis, one PS3, 4 android phones, two 360's set up as media center extenders, three laptops, another two desktops from neighbours house, and i keep an open wifi hotspots for the local teenagers too in the front of the house on a different subnet with no restrictions, it sees at least 20 clients a day since i live near the downtown of a small town... these routers see traffic and never screw up ever... it is of course the DD-WRT firmware (i forgot to mention that part)...

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven to pnh102

to pnh102
It died or the power supply died?

Usually it's the wall wart that dies first. Easy to replace.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by SimbaSeven:

It died or the power supply died?

Usually it's the wall wart that dies first. Easy to replace.

No, the unit is dead. I was hoping that only the power brick had died but sadly a multimeter confirmed that it was working.