Premium Member
join:2000-12-15
West Palm Beach, FL

joepwpb to sekim

Premium Member

to sekim

Re: [Info] Microsoft Store Online: Windows 8

said by sekim:

Vista upgrade won't transfer the programs.. not functional working programs anyhow. Win7 pro upgrade is what I'm curious.

Guess its not a big deal, I wanted to try to retain the programs with the upgrade and have the pro iso too. I assume the iso will be online to grab all over the net soon.

From what MS posted, upgrading from Win 7 Pro will not retain the Programs only from Home Basic or Home Premium. Hopefully we'll get that clarified soon.

Joe P
chandom
join:2001-05-23
Tallahassee, FL

chandom

Per Microsoft Technet: »technet.microsoft.com/en ··· 353.aspx
quote:
Edition Upgrades

This section describes the operating system editions from which you can upgrade to editions of Windows 8.
Upgrade to Windows 8

You can upgrade to Windows 8 and keep Windows settings, personal files, and applications from the following Windows operating system editions:

Windows 7 Starter
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium

Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro

You can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro and keep Windows settings, personal files, and applications from the following Windows operating system editions:

Windows 7 Starter
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Ultimate

Upgrade to Windows Enterprise (Volume License)

You can upgrade to Windows 8 Enterprise (Volume License) from the following operating system editions:

Windows 7 Professional (Volume License)
Windows 7 Enterprise (Volume License)
Windows 8 (Volume License)

Wikipedia also has a nice chart showing Windows 7 to 8 in place upgrade paths.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi ··· tibility

joepwpb
Premium Member
West Palm Beach, FL

joepwpb

Premium Member

Great find chandom !!

That info conflicts with what is posted at the Microsoft Store.

I think we are getting closer to the real story which most likely will be verified with the posting of actual experiences.

Joe P
chandom
join:2001-05-23
Tallahassee, FL

chandom to joepwpb

to joepwpb
Also, it looks like the product page has changed since the first post.

»www.microsoftstore.com/s ··· Pro#tab2
Now states:
quote:
Upgrading to Windows 8
If your PC is running Windows 7, your files, programs and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8 Pro. If your PC is running Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your apps. Some features such as touch may require a new PC. To check compatibility, visit your PC manufacturer’s website and check out www.windows.com/upgrade to run the Upgrade Assistant to check for compatibility and get more details on system requirements.

joepwpb
Premium Member
West Palm Beach, FL

joepwpb

Premium Member

You're correct, they did change the product page dramatically. The second post in this thread shows the original wording (it is the section shaded in Red) which states that only 7 Basic and Premium retain the programs.

Joe P
Glen T
join:2003-11-03
BC

Glen T

The upgrade 'with applications' rules appear to be a bit arbitrary. Dare I say, punitive?