TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

Lifeline Internet Service

Looks like Charter will have to provide a plan less than 30mbps in the future as soon as this goes mainstream.

»www.webpronews.com/fcc-broadband···-2012-01

I can't find all the links I read right now but it looks like it will cost the end user $9.99/mo for a 1mbps connection.

I do remember seeing Charter, Comcast, and Suddenlink on the list as partners. CenturyLink already has their program up and running.

»www.centurylink.com/home/internetbasics/
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

Or

@charter.com
They already do participate in some areas with »www.connect2compete.org/

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
said by Or :

They already do participate in some areas with »www.connect2compete.org/

Connect2Compete is just for the irresponsible people that went and made kids without considering the ability to provide for them what they would need for school and life.

Lifeline Internet is just like Lifeline Landline Telephone except that it's internet.
--

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
Charter should be FORCED to have a lower plan and not just because of "the irresponsible people that went and made kids without considering the ability to provide for them what they would need for school and life." Probably should've mentioned the morons that think they have to have the top internet plan and don't consider the other expenses in life! Yes, I DO know some people who put internet over a lot of other things.

I have 1 kid who is grown up but I'm on disability with a fixed income. With the ridiculous way Charter raises rates and even more ridiculous internet plans they currently have, I hope they get MORE THAN forced to do so!

Charter is the only company I can think of that is actually ran by more pickles/idiots than my wife's company, and that is a very hard feat to accomplish!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Premium
join:2012-06-11
I agree, because broadband service is now considered a utility the companies should have to provide a modest product with a reasonable cost. There are plenty of people who are not welfare queens that have modest incomes and try to stay within their budget so they don't have to reply on the taxpayer to support their most basic needs. I would consider myself one of these people.

The unfortunate thing is that Charter HAD a nationwide plan that provided that solution for folks like us ..called "Internet Lite" with
3/1 service that was perfectly adequate for my needs and the price was reasonable too. The new CEO decided to get very GREEDY and did away with that plan. Now they will be forced to in REinvent it. LOL. How much you want to bet that Mr. Rutledge will take credit for this NEW low income plan.

King Boo

@charter.com

1 edit
reply to TheTechGuru
Actually there is no difference.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
said by King Boo :

Actually there is no difference.

Yes there is. Connect2Compete one must have kids in K-12 school.

Lifeline Internet you do not have to have kids, just low income below 125% of the federal poverty level.
--

King Boo

@charter.com
I was going for more of a moral aspect.

BF69 Fan

@charter.com
reply to TheTechGuru
actually the comparison is nill got any.in the end comparison is have kids? no? well you still get internet!

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
said by BF69 Fan :

actually the comparison is nill got any.in the end comparison is have kids? no? well you still get internet!

Have Kids = Get Internet Now With Connect2Compete

Don't Have Kids = Wait Around Until Lifeline Internet is available.
--

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
reply to 15444104
I disagree that Internet is a basic need. It's not like heat where you're going to freeze if you can't afford to pay, thus cold weather disconnect rules have been implemented.

RWill55904

join:2006-02-02
Rochester, MN
reply to TheTechGuru
Internet is NOT a utility... If it was, you wouldnt be on here complaining about what it cost.... No one really bugs out when they get a electric bill, you pay it and move on to the next... Your food isnt going to go bad, if your internet isnt working... Your pipes wont freeze if your internet isnt working... Really guys

Jobless

@spcsdns.net
reply to TheTechGuru
This day in age internet access is a necessity to compete in this world we live in. Have any of you recently walked into any business and asked for a job application? This day in age you will hear "you have to go online and apply through our web site".

Library's are not always a option as not everyone lives near one, some have odd hours, most of the time all computers are in use, and many implement so many restrictions that some job applications won't work on them due to disabled scripting, disabled java, disabled flash, etc.

anon

@ca.gov
reply to TheTechGuru
I think that they should offer internet at the lower speed for everybody. I by no means qualify for lifeline utilities but I don't need 30Mbps so I shouldn't be forced to pay for it. I'd happily get 10Mbps for $20/month if it were offered. It is a matter of priorities of my monthly outlay and not a need to have basic internet for cheap due to my income.

EHamilton1

@bahnhof.se
reply to TheTechGuru
I've already heard that many Christian social service agencies & veterans organizations met with the FCC to encourage the move to assist the truly needy with Internet access. As a representative for the U.S. Social Security Administration, I talk with many senior citizens & disabled Americans about how our current economic crisis can be eased in some way. Many have expressed frustration over missed opportunities because of the cost of Internet access. Several public & religious social service agencies are aware of the FCC's new LIFELINE INTERNET program and are awaiting further word on when it will be implemented so they can provide some assistance to the needy in their areas.

Unfortunately, I have read some public comments on the Internet from the "more fortunate" who do not want the FCC's Lifeline Internet to help low-income Americans with this program. It's a sad commentary on how the present well-to-do (or the ignorant)in our society have sunk into moral decay. Moral values of past generations have little interest to these immorals. Their comments show no real knowledge or understanding of the social problems of our needy fellow Americans! I believe that the FCC's Lifeline INTERNET program will be a worthwhile venture for truly qualified low-income Americans.

whoaru99

reply to anon
I presume most here interested in lower Internet costs have chosen cell phone over land line? I'm always getting offers from my telco for $19.99/mo for five years if I add a DSL plan to my landline account. Max speed here for that price is 10Mbps down.

Premium
Lucky you. LOL

whoaru99

3 edits
Lucky? I dunno...if you look at cost per Mbps it's actually more than Charter. Guess that's the way most things work though...ketchup costs more per ounce in a small bottle too.

Do you have an landline and have you checked what's available to you that way?

As harsh as it sounds, Charter probably isn't going to offer a slower, cheaper package until they feel enough pain from customers leaving (as opposed to whinging) for slower, cheaper plans.

Premium

1 edit
said by whoaru99:

Lucky? I dunno...if you look at cost per Mbps it's actually more than Charter. Guess that's the way most things work though...ketchup costs more per ounce in a small bottle too.

Do you have an landline and have you checked what's available to you that way?

As harsh as it sounds, Charter probably isn't going to offer a slower, cheaper package until they feel enough pain from customers leaving (as opposed to whinging) for slower, cheaper plans.

I don't care if the price is a bit more per mb as long as it is significantly cheaper than the high prices for 30 mb service.

I have ATT in my area (no other options) and there is NO such plan available in my area There are promo packages for 3mb and 6mb but they only last for one year and then the price climbs as high as Charter for less mb. Not to mention that ATT has even more atrocious customer service than Charter.

So when a customer desires a cheaper offering they are
"whining" ? Nonsense.

Glad the gov't is involved in this because the greed factor cannot be tamed by prudence of the management and executives anymore, it needs the hand of regulation to force it.

whoaru99

Interesting, albeit not totally unexpected and completely false, attempt to demonize me as part of the industry because I don't agree with your sense of entitlement.

Premium
said by whoaru99:

Interesting, albeit not totally unexpected and completely false, attempt to demonize me as part of the industry because I don't agree with your sense of entitlement.

So did I have a sense of entitlement when I had the Charter Internet Lite service (3/1) at $19.99/mo that was offered without gov't regulation for years?

I wasn't getting "something for nothing" ,the company would not have offered that tier unless they were making a profit on it. The speeds were very modest and so was the price, a nice fit for those that do not want or need fancy, expensive service.

Keep angling that PR. Maybe a few will swallow it.

whoaru99

I remember when gas was under $1 a gallon and old timers tell me you used to be able to buy a glass of beer for a nickel...

Premium
I had that service for the past couple of years. Very recent. The rate of inflation for internet service is probably less than most other services and goods.

Not to mention that a smart company would rather retain a long term reliable (pay bills on time all the time) customer than lose them completely even if the profit is small. Some extra profit is better than no profit at all.

whoaru99

reply to EHamilton1
said by EHamilton1 :

I've already heard that many Christian social service agencies & veterans organizations met with the FCC to encourage the move to assist the truly needy with Internet access. As a representative for the U.S. Social Security Administration, I talk with many senior citizens & disabled Americans about how our current economic crisis can be eased in some way. Many have expressed frustration over missed opportunities because of the cost of Internet access. Several public & religious social service agencies are aware of the FCC's new LIFELINE INTERNET program and are awaiting further word on when it will be implemented so they can provide some assistance to the needy in their areas.

Unfortunately, I have read some public comments on the Internet from the "more fortunate" who do not want the FCC's Lifeline Internet to help low-income Americans with this program. It's a sad commentary on how the present well-to-do (or the ignorant)in our society have sunk into moral decay. Moral values of past generations have little interest to these immorals. Their comments show no real knowledge or understanding of the social problems of our needy fellow Americans! I believe that the FCC's Lifeline INTERNET program will be a worthwhile venture for truly qualified low-income Americans.

The more times I read this the further off base I think it is in regard to morals. The older generations I know seemed to believe, in simplest terms, that if you couldn't afford something you just did without it until you could. They didn't expect a government bailout, so to speak.

Meathax
Looking for better Pings

join:2010-10-24
Cherry Valley, MA
reply to TheTechGuru
If you were truly so needy how could you even afford a computer to make use of the internet??

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
said by Meathax:

If you were truly so needy how could you even afford a computer to make use of the internet??

Ok, lets have a math lesson.

It's a lot easier to afford a on time payment of $150 -$250 for 2+ years of computer use. Usually by use of income tax return earned income credit refund.

$198 laptop: »www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-Refurbis···21189172

$228 laptop: »www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Espresso···19714372

or one could even buy this desktop for $98 then go to a pawn shop and pick of a small 4:3 LCD for $20-$25 : »www.walmart.com/ip/HP-DC7100-Des···19394721

Compare that to Charter internet at $49/mo x 12 months = $588 a year x 2 years (typical lifetime of the $150-$250 computer) = $1,176

In reality the service is much more expensive than the equipment to access it is.

With $9.99/mo 1mbps Lifeline internet one would be looking at $119.88 a year. At that price one might just pre pay the year with their tax return after buying the cheap computer. Most low income americans with kids get $2000 or more in EIC refunds.

P.S. Connect 2 Compete has a program to get a computer for $150

--

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to whoaru99
The older generations also took family responsibilities much differently. To that end, they also defined families much differently. A wife could be a foundation within a home while one income could support the house, transportation, food & clothing and healthcare...plus the occasional entertainment evening.

Nowadays, that single income (all too often) accompanies a single parent. That single parent may or may not be able to provide the foundations needed to raise a child to be independent (of support from others), but there are programs available help give that child a chance...even if the single parent doesn't set a positive example.

I wholeheartedly agree that personal responsibility towards means/ends is sorely lacking these days...especially in the US, but "lines" have been drawn across many aspects of life that greatly differ these days from those of yesterday's generation. An eye on the realities of today will see that "government assistance" can't always be lumped into "bailouts" (so to speak). Sometime, they really could be an opportunity.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to whoaru99
said by whoaru99:

The more times I read this the further off base I think it is in regard to morals. The older generations I know seemed to believe, in simplest terms, that if you couldn't afford something you just did without it until you could. They didn't expect a government bailout, so to speak.

But in this day in age you never will be able to afford it without it.

Examples,

Need a job to get internet but need internet to apply for jobs in 2012+.

Need a job to get a car but need a car to get to a job if you don't live in a big city with mass transit.

Family member nice enough to hand you a car to get a job? Well it still takes gas to get to work until your first paycheck in three weeks.

It all boils down to IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY and since so many irresponsible people keep reproducing at a astounding rate without being able to properly support their offspring and get them started post highschool/college the government is having to step in to help them get started.

I know two 22 yr olds. Both have two happily married parents.

Person A's parents are both uneducated living on social security after wearing their body's out doing min wage labor work all their lives.

Person B's parents own their own successful business.

Person A is still living at home unable to get a job in the small town they live in thus also unable to get a car to drive to a bigger town to find work.

Person B is currently making $3,600 a month after his parents bought him a car in cash as a HS graduation present, paid for one semester of technical college post high school, then co-signed a apartment in a big city and paid for 6 months of rent and living expenses so he could work the good job he found after his semester of technical college.

My point is, if one can not afford to be like person B's parents, they should not be reproducing. This is what is wrong with the world!
--

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

1 recommendation

reply to DaSneaky1D
said by DaSneaky1D:

The older generations also took family responsibilities much differently. To that end, they also defined families much differently. A wife could be a foundation within a home while one income could support the house, transportation, food & clothing and healthcare...plus the occasional entertainment evening.

Nowadays, that single income (all too often) accompanies a single parent. That single parent may or may not be able to provide the foundations needed to raise a child to be independent (of support from others), but there are programs available help give that child a chance...even if the single parent doesn't set a positive example.

I wholeheartedly agree that personal responsibility towards means/ends is sorely lacking these days...especially in the US, but "lines" have been drawn across many aspects of life that greatly differ these days from those of yesterday's generation. An eye on the realities of today will see that "government assistance" can't always be lumped into "bailouts" (so to speak). Sometime, they really could be an opportunity.

Heh, you're kind of saying what I'm saying a little but in a more polite manor.

There are a few "ethically good" poor that "do everything their supposed to do" but can't get anywhere or get anything because they have no foundation to start from which should have been the parents responsibility. They eventually get bored in the rut and reproduce starting the cycle all over again.

I would like to see a govt program that catches these few before that happens, offering huge incentive grants to get started for those from poor families that have been responsible by not reproducing and stop creating programs like Welfare that reward people for being irresponsible.

Currently there are no programs that I am aware of to help someone from a poor family right out of high school to get started with their own home and own vehicle. Oh, but if they go reproduce right out of high school they can get Welfare!!! THIS NEEDS TO BE CHANGED!

--

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to whoaru99
said by whoaru99:

I remember when gas was under $1 a gallon and old timers tell me you used to be able to buy a glass of beer for a nickel...

You must be a real youngster, if that's the cheapest you remember gas?

When I got my very first car, at age 16, gas was 32 cents a gallon!

Some how I think this topic is getting way off track?!

As far as todays generation vs. my generation, the kids are so used to handouts, they don't have a clue what to do after school, which is half the reason the we are so messed up in this country.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/