Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

[FireFox] National Weather Service bad display Fx, SM, IE, Opera

Click for full size
I used to always keep a tab open on Fx to the National Weather Service for my town but I haven't for the past 4-5 months. I opened it just now on Fx 10.0.9 to see how bad the vog is going to be for the next week. The layout has been changed since I last was there.

On Fx 10.0.9 ESR, Fx4.0.1, Sea Monkey 2.13.1, and IE 8, I see text on top of text in various locations on the page. I never had any problems with the old layout on any of these browsers.

On Opera 10.6 and 11.5, the display is perfect (except for the fact that even on Opera there is tons of wasted space on the site and the 7 day forecast is now displayed in an awful manner making it far more difficult to read in a glance, but Opera is the only browser I tried there that doesn't have text on top of text).

So, what is wrong with Fx and SM there? At least they are not squished small in the center of the screen like the site is now on IE. Used to this site displayed full screen and looked a million times nicer than it does now when apparently it now thinks all human beings use the site only on a cell phone and none have normal monitors and desktops, etc. The site appears now to be designed only for those who do not have nice monitors.

I use the same font and font size on all browsers so that should not causing the problem on Fx, SM and IE.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Re: [FireFox] National Weather Service bad display Fx, SM, IE, O

I get that on certain sites using NoScript. Allow that site, and it renders properly.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

There is NO NoScript for IE8! I also have not polluted Fx 10 ESR with that awful NoScript. I also do not have NoScript on SeaMonkey.

NoScript has NOTHING to do with the site rendering badly in EVERY BROWSER except Opera.

MarkRH
Premium Member
join:2005-02-08
Edmond, OK
ARRIS BGW210-700
ARRIS TM3402
Asus RT-AC68

MarkRH to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Seems fine to me in FF 16.0.2 and IE9. Also tried IE9 in IE8 browser mode and it still looked fine there. Might try clearing browser caches and cookies.

If it still looks messed up in multiple browsers.. I'd be looking at some OS setting.. like default font size/zooming or something like that. Course, one would expect a setting like that to mess around with all websites.

Oh, click View -> Zoom -> Reset just to make sure the browser itself isn't zoomed in or out.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

Same here. I use that site a couple times every day with FF and Chrome and never noticed any problems at all, both before and after the site upgrade.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I also discovered that Fx, SM and IE don't fetch the latest update as early as Opera does so they have stale information when Opera is showing the latest hourly updated forecast. Opera fetches it about 20 minutes before the actual update. The update is at x:53 hours and minutes every hour. Opera fetches that at x:30. The other browsers don't fetch it until x:01. This is odd. Before the new format for this weather service site, Fx and SM would update right on x.53 hours and minutes every hour. Now they won't. They wait about 8 minutes before updating. Yet, Opera updates 23 minutes early each hour!

I tried clearing IE cookies and temp files. That didn't help. Same with fx and SM. I made sure I wasn't zoomed in.

The problem on Fx and SM was that I needed to go down 1pt size for font size. Opera is fne there on 13pt but Fx and SM need 12pt there. I use Verdana exclusively on all browsers.

On IE, choosing view/text size/smaller with zoom at 100% still resulted in text on top of text. So, I zoomed at 90%, no difference. I then tried 75% which I could barely read and still there was text on top of text. I hope IE 9, on a new machine (Win 7Pro), that I am waiting on delivery for will work better at this site. On Fx and SM, 1 pt difference in font size, I can't tell any difference. So, I will keep them at 12 pt and Opera at 13 pt although 12 pt on Opera doesn't look different from 13 pt.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Using NoScript on ESR, looks OK here on XP laptop. Looks OK on the Nexus S using Boat browser except I have to scroll (I don't use mobile version). Also looks the same in Opera and Iron. Too lazy to check Ubuntu desktop.

porkpie
No Pork For 40 Days
join:2001-05-28
Cleveland, OH

3 edits

porkpie to Mele20

to Mele20
I get that on some pages too, I haven't figured it out yet.
In the browser try unchecking "let page render their own font size" and putting "minimal font size" to none and see what happens.
This is for Firefox

ps: I checked it on my local site of East Cleveland, OH I tried mininal font at "15" it was squished up , then I tried it at "none" and "let page render their own font size" unchecked and the page was the way it was supose to be.

If you need the Page Zoomed, I use this:
htt ps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zoom-page/

Hope that this helps

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

There is NO NoScript for IE8! I also have not polluted Fx 10 ESR with that awful NoScript. I also do not have NoScript on SeaMonkey.

NoScript has NOTHING to do with the site rendering badly in EVERY BROWSER except Opera.

You know, I said nothing of the sort. I merely stated my experience with NS on some sites.

But please, carry on with your rant...

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I still have FF v3.6 and it does the same thing on that web page:

The FF derivative, Pale Moon v15.2, has no problem with it:

(Damn, it's nighttime and 61 here, with Frankenstorm arriving tomorrow.)

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Click for full size
FF 3.6.28 here, and NS running, nothing allowed. Nothing wrong on the page at all.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

My FF is 3.6.26 with NS running, with forecast.weather.gov, gstatic.com, googleapis.com, and addthis.com allowed for that site.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

I had none of those allowed. Interesting.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Well, for me on all browsers it was just a one pixel smaller font size that it needed...(except on Opera) from 13pt to 12pt and then it was ok and I could not see any difference in the text size between 13pt and 12pt, but that fixed it.

I hadn't been to Nat Weather Service in months until yesterday. I think some sixth sense told me to open a tab to there yesterday so that I could access it fast this evening when the sirens went off. There was no local earthquake so I figured at least 5 hours, maybe 12 hours, before a tsunami would arrive so no rush to evacuate. I finished what I was doing online and then opened the Weather Service tab to be astonished that it said tsunami warning for the entire state expected to hit at 10:28PM and the sirens went off at 9:15PM...not earlier starting at around 5:30- 6PM as they should have. So, I had very little time to evacuate and I am glad that tab was already open...saved me time. I probably would not have turned on the TV right away because I was sure it was hours away...the sirens tested fine the first of this month so it didn't occur to me that when they went off that was actually the last warning before the police would start breaking down doors to forcibly evacuate folks.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
Nothing enabled at all in Noscript and still looks OK. FX ESR.