uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

[AZ] How long will the analog channels last?

I'm going to be dropping cable soon due to the CCI flag as my contract is going to expire in a few months. (And, I've found a great alternative to cable.)

I'm kind of thinking about keeping analog and getting an analog tuner for my HTPC just watch a few news shows. However, before I invest in that, I need to know, how much longer is cox going to keep the analog channels intact?

I don't want to invest in any hardware that will be useless in less than two years. If they get rid of it any sooner than that, I guess I'll just rely on other less convenient means of getting those shows.

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

Just go OTA and internet for your news.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

Well I want Stossel, O'Reilly, and a few others. You can get Stossel on Hulu, but Hulu is lame because you have to watch advertisements even when you watch the show a second time. Even paying for hulu still lands you adverts.

Might be easier just to pick up dishnet and use this to strip off HDCP:

»www.amazon.com/dp/B0033039BG/ref···M88WZPA&

Dishnet base package includes all I need and is cheaper than cox starter. Just need to figure out if there's any DVR software that would work with this somewhat complicated setup.

MatthewV

join:2004-07-18
reply to Rakeesh

»azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-an···f6.html/

Todd Smith, a spokesman at Cox headquarters in Atlanta, said basic cable subscribers have no immediate need to worry about having to get a box because the FCC order allowing encryption applies to companies that deliver only digital signals. Cox provides both digital and lower-quality analog signals, so it cannot legally scramble basic signals unless and until it drops its analog service.

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

said by MatthewV:

»azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-an···f6.html/

Todd Smith, a spokesman at Cox headquarters in Atlanta, said basic cable subscribers have no immediate need to worry about having to get a box because the FCC order allowing encryption applies to companies that deliver only digital signals. Cox provides both digital and lower-quality analog signals, so it cannot legally scramble basic signals unless and until it drops its analog service.

I don't believe it. They could flip the switch on the clear QAM tomorrow and simply say "What are you doing to do about it?"

Anonguy

@cox.net

Analog will be around for years more!

Way too big of a market to go all digital.

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5

said by Anonguy :

Based on the recent move by Comcast along with the presentations I saw at Cable Tech Expo in Orlando, I would have to disagree.

The MSOs need to loose analog to make room for more DOCSIS upstream bandwidth - this is the only way they are going to get to Gig speeds.

There were even discussions about what cable providers should do when a franchise authority doesn't allow them to remove analog -

"Yes Mr Mayor, we understand you are requiring us to keep analog but we that is going to prevent your voters from getting our new 1Gig offering and we are going to run ads letting them know this"

signcarver

join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits

Then I would respond that for every 100 voters there is probably less than 3 who would pay for that gig tier... think of the children not being able to watch tv in their rooms on their old sets and unable to afford box rental for all tvs

Though I think 2-3 years is about right, I don't think they could switch it over tomorrow without a few months notification.

Anonguy

@cox.net
reply to bbeesley

said by bbeesley:

said by Anonguy :

Based on the recent move by Comcast along with the presentations I saw at Cable Tech Expo in Orlando, I would have to disagree.

The MSOs need to loose analog to make room for more DOCSIS upstream bandwidth - this is the only way they are going to get to Gig speeds.

There were even discussions about what cable providers should do when a franchise authority doesn't allow them to remove analog -

"Yes Mr Mayor, we understand you are requiring us to keep analog but we that is going to prevent your voters from getting our new 1Gig offering and we are going to run ads letting them know this"

I agree, it will eventually go away. However Cox just went to Gig in AZ. They now have 12x Downstreams available as well. This should carry them over for HSI speeds for a while.

Arizona is Way too big to to move everyone to all digital. That would be one costly changeover!