spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Ken S
join:2012-01-26
Burlingame, CA

1 recommendation

Ken S

Venting...Upgraded to 105, Getting Screwed.

Click for full size
Click for full size
OKay, so I went through the upgrade process from 50 to Extreme 105. The process was interesting.

#1) Comcast Steve had an agent call to assist me.
#2) I asked to have it installed without a tech, therefore bypassing the $250 fee. The agent said he'd get it done
#3) The agent had to call me later - he did...to tell me he couldn't get it done without a tech, and it was mandatory
#4) We agreed on the $105/mo Extreme 105 promotion, 1 year contract, with mandatory tech visit for installation, verification of speeds, etc.
#5) Transferred me to another guy to schedule the tech, Tech scheduled for following day (impressive.)
#6) I'm golfing when tech arrives, Wife shows tech where to test, where modem is, etc.
#7) Tech states he's getting 70mbps, but up to 100mbps flat...and says that's "pretty good" and that's that - install completed
#8) I get home (5pm PDT), run some tests (speedtest.net, speedtest.comcast.net) - Works great, 105/20, consistent.
#9) Not for long. Packet Loss, 20M - 80M varying radically - all the time.
#10) Do some tests tonight (it's been about 2 weeks since install) due to some ridiculous lag, poor speeds, etc. - and it's horrible. Ran shaper probe to find that it's detecting shaping, and also horrible packet loss to the extent of test failure on a 2nd run.
#11) Went to check my bill on Comcast.com only to find that I have a bill for $497.66. I'm showing the installation fee under "Other Charges & Credits" as $249.00 - fine...I expected this, no problem. But..what the hell is this XFINITY Internet "206.95"...are you kidding me? This is $101.95 MORE than the plan I SIGNED UP FOR....and I'm getting horrible speeds, horrible latency...horrrible packet loss.

I gave in to the $249.00 installation fee, because I figured heck, I might as well let them do their job and make sure everything is setup, capacity is available, and I'm getting the advertised speeds. Long story short - the $249.00 that they so convincingly tell you is worth it - seems to have the same exact effect as if no one ever came...Oh...and I went out and bought a DOCSIS 3, 8 Channel DS modem to just see if we could get some better results...and I absolutely have seen no difference.

I'm feeling like this has been a waste of money, a waste of time - yet I'm still stuck with these people unless I want a horrible DSL connection...if you're gonna play monopoly, can you at least take care of the customers that you OWN?

Attached are some shots just for those of you who'd like proof of what's happening here. Oh...and Thanks for not making me feel valued...
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

What would you like us to do?
Ken S
Burlingame, CA

Ken S

Us? Who do you represent? The people? Or is "us" really just you?
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to Ken S

to Ken S
The people on this forum. Under what circumstance would "us" refer only to me? I'm not schizophrenic.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

Keep nagging on the phone, or comcast steve, it's your only hope.

Also what are your signals?

I am also on xtreme105, I didn't pay the 250$ and it works relatively well. So there is still hope.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine to Ken S

Premium Member

to Ken S
your $206.95 is the rest of the month prorated at the 105 tier and next months bill for it. Comcast bills ahead. When you are paying a bill, you are paying for next months service
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44 to Ken S

Premium Member

to Ken S
I dont see any issues with the billing part. looks correct to me. As far as the packet loss maybe some tracerts would be nice to make sure the packet loss is even on comcasts network. The billing is always a little confusing on the first one. It usually shakes out with the second bill.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to Ken S

to Ken S
Edit:

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2 to Moffetts

MVM

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

What would you like us to do?

Why not re-read the subject title? The OP said he was venting...don't believe he asked "us" to do anything!

I may or may not agree with his conclusions based on his situation, but I certainly do not disrespect him for posting his experience. Others considering this upgrade may want to consider this amongst the "good and bad" reasons to upgrade to this tier.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Indeed, and the OP could have even labelled it as a rant when they submitted.

IMHO, it's not an unreasonable rant and quite civilized compared to what one would usually think of as a rant.
Ken S
Burlingame, CA

1 recommendation

Ken S

I had a tech scheduled to come out yesterday, the window was 4PM - 6PM, I got the confirmation call around noon, pressed 1 to confirm.

Tech never showed, and I received no further contact.

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84

Premium Member

said by Ken S:

I had a tech scheduled to come out yesterday, the window was 4PM - 6PM, I got the confirmation call around noon, pressed 1 to confirm.

Tech never showed, and I received no further contact.

Can you open up a thread on the Comcast Direct forum and see if maybe Steve can help get this issue resolved? He's usually really good about getting situations like this resolved.
coold8
Premium Member
join:2005-05-15
Arlington, VA

coold8 to Ken S

Premium Member

to Ken S
Hi there,

Are you going through a router? I know on a WNDR3700 I used to use, I would never be able to achieve full 105mbps speeds until I set NAT filtering to open. The processing power was simply not there. Needless to say, I upgraded very quick. I would say check your router, and try plugging directly into the modem before pointing fingers at Comcast so quick. I was surprised too.

-Dave
Ken S
Burlingame, CA

Ken S

I have a router that's well capable . It's gigabit, and tested. Thanks for the input, though I can assure you my end is clean. This morning I'm getting mega packet loss, and 2Mbps to 35Mbps...with tests on speedtest.comcast.net - there's got to be some problem ... Hopefully it gets fixed.

TheDude54
@comcast.net

TheDude54

Anon

other than speedtest.net - What types of files do you do your download tests with? ie. ftp, http, nntp, bit-torrent, etc...
try downloading the 1GB file from this website and report your download speed back here. »www.thinkbroadband.com/d ··· oad.html