mike34
Premium
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA

1 edit
reply to NetFixer

Re: 6 modems listed, how do I fix this?

said by NetFixer:

Well, at least Comcast is now allowing customers to see what equipment Comcast's inventory system thinks you are using.

It seems fairly obvious that Comcast is using more than one set of books to inventory customer equipment. When you call them with either a modem or TV problem they can specify your device and perform remote activities on it quickly and accurately.

On the few occasions that I have needed help there was never any question about the ID of whatever I was calling about.

My guess is this whole thing is a work in progress and that someday they'll get it all straightened out.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
reply to plencnerb
I had 14 modems listed on my account. I posted a message in Comcast Direct, and comcast_steve fixed it within 48 hours. It is now showing 100% correct information.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
said by owlyn:

I had 14 modems listed on my account. I posted a message in Comcast Direct, and comcast_steve fixed it within 48 hours. It is now showing 100% correct information.

Well, I posted mine back on Oct 30th. It has now been 15 days, and nothing has changed. All of the information that I pointed out to be incorrect is still incorrect.

Again, I know there is a small number of people who fix / respond to things in that forum, but to go 15 days and not one reply cannot be normal, can it?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by plencnerb:

said by owlyn:

Well, I posted mine back on Oct 30th. It has now been 15 days, and nothing has changed. All of the information that I pointed out to be incorrect is still incorrect.

Again, I know there is a small number of people who fix / respond to things in that forum, but to go 15 days and not one reply cannot be normal, can it?

--Brian

It may have been missed. Try a fresh posting (not reposting to your old one)

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to plencnerb
The local office did a much better job at getting this corrected for me than calling in or relying on this site.

EDIT: This also Comcast we are talking about so your milage will certainly vary on this.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
I agree with the last two people who posted to this thread. We are talking about Comcast here, and as we all know....how things work in one Comcast area are not always how they work in another!

As far as making a new post in the direct forum, I may just do that. I know if I go there, my post appears at the bottom of page #2, so it may have been missed.

However, I hate to start a new post when one already exists, but at the same time, I know its against the rules there to update your own thread. Just trying to figure out the best way to approach the problem and not upset people in that forum when doing it.

I guess I could try the local office route. The local office is about a mile or so from my house. I could print out what I have (screen shots from the web page, and the info that I actually have) and go down there and see what they can do to get it resolved.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb
I was getting ready to make a new post over at the Comcast direct forum. However, before I did, I did a check to see if anything at all had changed as far as what Comcast is showing.

I do have good news to report. The "Cable Modem" Section (Picture #2 in my OP) and the "Voice Modem" Section (Picture #3 in my OP) are now gone, and I'm left with "Voice and Data Modem" (Picture #1 in my OP).

I am still seeing both modems listed in that section, and for some reason, the order has switched. When I started this thread, my current modem (the Arris) was on top, and my previous modem (the Thompson) was on the bottom in that section. Now, the order has been reversed.

I'm not to worried about the order, just thought I would point it out.

As I said, I'm still seeing both modems, and the Serial # on my current modem is still being displayed as the MAC address, and not the actual serial number.

No changes have been made in regards to my Set Top Box questions.

Progress is being made, even if it is slow in coming.

Finally, no updates to my request in the Comcast Direct Forum. If someone over there did read it, and is working on a fix, I would have thought they would update the thread. So, I'm going to hold off on starting a new thread in the Comcast Direct Forum, in the hopes that either someone does reply over there, or the rest of my issues get resolved.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb
I'm going to do a reply to this thread, instead of starting a new one, as things have changed for the better!

Short version is that today, I swapped out all three Set Top Boxes, and my Cable Modem.

That whole process went off without a hitch. Everything is up and running as it should be, not to mention caller ID is now working on every TV in the house!

But, there are still 2 (maybe 3) issues with what is being reported online for Comcast. Below is a summary of the issues.

Issue #1
Very Old Modem still showing up (Thomson Model # dhg536). I returned this modem back on 06/18/2012.

Issue #2
Serial Number of the cable modem does not match what is being displayed on the web site. The number that comes up is actually the CMAC (or Cable MAC). The MAC number that is listed matches with the MTA MAC of my device.

Issue #3
I don't know if this is really an issue, or just the way things are being reported.
For each STB, it lists the Serial Number, and a "MAC Address". For all three STB's, the serial numbers are correct.
However, for the "MAC Address", one of them comes back as the "DOCSIS MAC" and the other two are the "EST MAC". The numbers match what I have. Its just interesting that all three are not the same type of MAC Address. Meaning, should all three be the "DOCSIS" MAC, or should all three be the "EST" MAC? It may not even matter, as the MAC listed for all three is a "MAC" of the device, its just not the same "MAC".

I'm going to let things sit for a few days, just to see if things get fixed on their own. If not, I'll start a new thread in the Comcast Direct Forum and see if I can get things resolved.

If anyone has any comments about my three issues, let me know.

Thanks,

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb
I went ahead and created 2 new posts in the Comcast Direct Forum. I figured it would be better to break the issues up, instead of having everything in one post.

The first post deals with my old modem still showing up, as well as the wrong information being displayed on my current modem. For my new modem, the MAC address is correct, however, the Serial Number is not the actual serial number. What is being displayed is the cable MAC Address. So, if you look at my equipment, I see two MAC addresses, instead of a MAC Address and a serial number.

The 2nd post has to do with the Set Top Boxes. This is more of a question, as the information is all correct. I'm really wondering why for one of the boxes, the MAC address that is showing up is the "DOCSIS" MAC (per the sticker on the bottom). However, for the other two cable boxes, the MAC that shows up is the "EST" MAC. Really just wondering why there is a difference, as I would think all three would show either the DOCSIS MAC, or the EST MAC. I don't care either way, and like I said, the information is correct. Just wondering why.

Hopefully, things get fixed, and I get some answers on the whole difference in the STB's showing different MAC addresses.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
I have a final update to this thread, per a discussion with ComcastSteve in the direct forum.

First, he was able to remove the old modem from showing up.

The next thing has to do with the serial # that is shown on the web page. It is normal for it to not be the actual serial number of your device. Typically, Comcast will use the MAC Address as the serial number of the modem.

As a note about the MAC Address being used as the Serial #, has that been a common thing for a quite some time? I ask as it would have been nice to have known that, as I would not have kept bringing it up as something that needs to be "Fixed". I wonder if this something that should go in a FAQ or something somewhere to alert others about it.

Anyway, just wanted to share that all is well now with the equipment being displayed for me. I also want to report that the usage meter is back as well. I have not verified if the amount Comcast shows matches what I have used. If there are differences when I do check, that discussion will be for a new thread.

Thanks to everyone for their input, and of course a big thank you to ComcastSteve for taking care of everything.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner