share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to MarkAW

Re: Some Guy Bought the Data of 1.1 Million Facebook Users

Why post a generic photo that has nothing to do with INDIVIDUAL Subways? Subway is franchised so it totally depends on the franchisee what is served and what the price is going to be. Plus, Hawaii and Alaska are excluded from Mainland prices...assuming the franchisee wishes it that way.

Same with Starbucks. We are still International Starbucks not USA and International prices and menus apply.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

3 recommendations

I nominate the "subway price discussion" for one of the more bizarre off-topic digressions of the year.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3

1 recommendation

When I was a kid the saying was "What's that got to do with the price of eggs in China?". It now appears to be "What's that got to do with the price of Subway in Hawaii?" But then I haven't been to Subway in about 2 years.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to Mele20
Try this instead.
»nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/10···erience/
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
That gives me a blank page also.

I went to sophos.com and got redirected to their English site. I could see that fine. Then I clicked on NakedSecurity icon on the sophos main page and got a blank page. Maybe that blog requires cookies? But I wasn't asked to accept any cookies and I don't have a block on cookies for either site.

I tried other browsers and none can get to that page on NakedSecurity. None can get to NakedSecurity even. Opera says the page cannot be found.

I think this is the problem and I don't appreciate Sophos trying this tracking:

»www.mydigitallife.info/remove-an···ner-url/

I get those tags in the url just like the above article mentions. Of course, I have Google analytics and all tracking blocked by Ghostery and my Hosts file.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to goalieskates
You could try a URL proxie site based in AU but i think it's more likely that your configurations are to blame.

TRY »www.zendproxy.in/ or »www.tigerproxy.in/
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

jcliff

join:2012-10-09
reply to goalieskates
$5 is cheap but the information isn't that sensitive.

Criminals/hackers are selling private information of others through sniffing sessions pretty cheap. This includes email/twitter/facebook logins, bank account logins, chat logs, all for about $0.01 to $0.10 per unique user. Pretty insane in regards to quantities you can get, there are terabytes of data available.

In regards to applications and websites tracking us, it's a growing problem really. I have analytics on my TinyMem site but so do a lot of websites, and you can at least avoid it if you want. Applications are a bigger concern with the way they can track a variety of information and have access to larger amounts of personal data.

Us technical users here may not care so much about it as we have firewalls and such which alert us to "callbacks" but there is no real regulation of what is sent from the apps we use and many products are going down the "online only" path and passing it off like it's a great cloud feature. Soon storing your private documents on the Facebook or Microsoft or Google cloud will be considered normal! If you don't let the google spider crawl over your "special documents" so they can sell you the right kind of beer maybe you have something to hide!
--
Vendor: TinyMem - No bloat, energy efficient security and system software

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
said by jcliff:

Soon storing your private documents on the Facebook or Microsoft or Google cloud will be considered normal!

I thought it was already. Just call me Abby-normal
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Where does that writer live? You can't buy even a SIX INCH Subway for $5 much less a foot long one!

Ahhh. One of the benefits of living in the Islands? I just got back from the Subway around the corner from my apartment. Six inch sandwich for $4.50. Even with California's outrageous sales tax, and the Santa Clara County surtax, I dropped less than $5 on the sandwich.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum