All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Annmarie

join:2000-11-11

Annmarie to AVD

to AVD

Re: She's coming

We still have the old fashioned mechanical booths here !
LOL!

I worry about the trees.
Huge oak trees all around my home.

I was told by the man who trims the dead wood for me that they will be here long after we are gone but I am still concerned not so much for flooding.

We are very high up on a hill in the almost dead center of the Island.

Large branches falling on the wires - that will be an issue.
And stupid neighbors who do not secure things on their property.

How hard is it to bring in a patio chair so it does not smash a window?

I lived on the south shore of LI one home off the water during Hurricane Gloria and we lost all our trees.

THey were weeping willows which are known for shallow roots though.

9 days no electric and seaweed on the lawn.

The lawns all died from the saltwater but no one was hurt.

The National Guard came with bull horns and we had to evacuate which we had already planned to do.

Not a drop of water in the house.
That was the days of LILCo.
I remember crews came up from Georgia to help restore electric to some places.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

4 edits

Packeteers

Premium Member

I feel you... thankfully here in Northern Queens, whatever trees survived the Tornado we had 2 years ago, aren't going anywhere now I'm nervous about all the temporary scaffolding the brick masons use when refacing a building - like every other block around here has one, and they can easily blow loose and go right through a window. i'm less concerned with this storms intensity as i am of it's duration - we could see a long 36 hours of heavy rain and wind considering all the warm vs cold air energy and humidity factors the convergence of these 3 storms may bring with them as they collide.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to Annmarie

Premium Member

to Annmarie
said by Annmarie:

I lived on the south shore of LI one home off the water during Hurricane Gloria and we lost all our trees.

THey were weeping willows which are known for shallow roots though.

9 days no electric and seaweed on the lawn.

The lawns all died from the saltwater but no one was hurt.

The National Guard came with bull horns and we had to evacuate which we had already planned to do.

Not a drop of water in the house.
That was the days of LILCo.
I remember crews came up from Georgia to help restore electric to some places.

I lived in Stamford when Gloria came through. About 1/2 mile in from the Sound but there was hill between me and there. Everyone kept calling me to get out because it was a low-lying area and they were evacuating that part of town. I stayed put because I doubted that a storm of Gloria's strength could force the Sound up and over a hill. 3 hours or so of strong wind and rain was pretty much all that happened south of the Merritt Parkway from the NY line to just west of Norwalk. Remarkably, the power which was notorious for going out on beautiful, sunny days, stayed on. My friends north of there, though, got clobbered with gazillions of trees and power lines down. A bunch of them emptied their refrigerators and came down to my place that afternoon and we had the mac daddy of all cookouts. Some of them didn't get their power back for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, it didn't thin the ranks of the trillion or so geese that owned Cummings Park.