uniqs
share rss forum feed

LiVE4594
Something Like a Pimp
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Ironton, OH

[TWC] Modem Problem?

I have a docsis 3 modem from TWC on their wideband service.

It's a motorola sb6150 I believe with wifi built in but I turned it off.

The modem will lose connection at random times.

I called in and they said it was a power level problem, but couldn't be sure. A tech came out and said he didn't know what was wrong.

It'll work fine for a while, during which I get 20/5, then just randomly drop off.

How can I tell if it's the modem or the service?

I can fix it by rebooting the modem most of the time, even though I can ping the modem and see the login screen but I don't have the log in.

Thanks
--
AJH Studios, LLC.
www.ajhstudios.com

LiVE4594
Something Like a Pimp
Premium
Ironton, OH

I figured out the login to the modem.

Downstream
Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Correctables Uncorrectables
1 Locked QAM256 0 609000000 Hz 11.2 dBmV 38.1 dB 0 0

Upstream
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Locked TDMA and ATDMA 1 2560 Ksym/sec 32000000 Hz 39.2 dBmV
--
AJH Studios, LLC.
www.ajhstudios.com

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2

Your downstream should have 4 locked channels. Is it a 6580 (The only D3 Gateway from Moto TWC supplies ATM). You probably need a modem swap.

LiVE4594
Something Like a Pimp
Premium
Ironton, OH
reply to LiVE4594

I can't decide if I should buy or rent. I'm an it guy so, I will have this until docsis 4 or w/e is next.
--
AJH Studios, LLC.
www.ajhstudios.com

Fleeced

If you buy your own, get a 6141

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to LiVE4594

swap/buy your own modem.

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

2 edits
reply to LiVE4594

I doubt swapping the modem will fix no bonding, maybe they don't have docsis 3 yet or an amp isn't right or something. EDIT: Yeah you should have bonding! A modem swap with an SB6141 would be a good start! But I A have a feeling that its something else wrong.

mackey

join:2007-08-20
kudos:6
reply to LiVE4594

Yeah, that power level is way too hot. I was having the exact same problem (anywhere from once a day to once a week the modem would randomly drop offline until I rebooted it) and my power level was also in the +11-12 dBmV range. I bought a 12 dB attenuator from Amazon and it completely eliminated the lock-ups. A 12 dB might be a little too strong for your upstream, so I'd start with something in the 8-10 dB range (like this one).

A new modem will not fix this problem, but it could make it either better or worse depending on how sensitive the new one is to a too high power level.

/M

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06

Motorola calls for a downstream to be between -15 and +15.
With a 12db atten, you may have killed a separate issue affecting your service, not to +11db downstream level itself.

Fleeced

Yeah +11 is barely out of range. +15 well out of tolerable range and problematic. Your signals aren't great but they shouldn't be causing the issue.

gkloepfer
Premium
join:2012-07-21
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to LiVE4594

hobgoblin probably will chime-in pretty soon on this, but this doesn't look provisioned correctly. If you've purchased wideband service, and have a DOCSIS 3 modem, you should have multiple downstream channels. That's the first problem, and the tech from TW should have noticed that right away.

The second problem is what another poster said, and that 11.2 dBmV downstream is too hot. The TW techs that came out to my house put a splitter in line with my cable modem with terminators on the unused ports when my levels were up around 7 dBmV! A two-port splitter will drop your downstream signal by 3.5 dB, which would help here. Your SNR looks good, as well as your upstream level. If you go with a splitter, ask for one from TW (they usually give them out without charge) because the ones from TW are somewhat better quality than what you find at Home Depot, and are good to at least 1 GHz.

As for the connection dropping - you want to look at your modem's log. If you're seeing errors such as "no ranging response received" or anything having to do with ranging response errors, these are significant problems that only a level 3 tech from TW can really diagnose. There are a bunch of reasons why it can happen, and frankly I wish I understood it better because before I had a DOCSIS 3 modem, I would have periods where my service would drop out all the time and I'd see these errors. Nobody at TW was able to figure out the problem, though, and I'm hoping now with a good cable modem and multiple downstream channels that all goes away (so far, so good!).

You may want to post your issue to the Time Warner Cable direct support forum instead of here. I've never tried this, but it's supposed to get you in touch with a TW cable tech who can help. I would say given what you've said here that there are issues that a competent tech should be able to start addressing right away.

signmastr

join:2004-06-21
Fallbrook, CA

Good luck with the "Direct Forum". Seems no one is there to answer emails.

LiVE4594
Something Like a Pimp
Premium
Ironton, OH
reply to LiVE4594

Just a closing post. I had time warner replace the modem. In addition they did some line work at the pole. That combined fixed the issue for more than a month.

Just updating everyone. Thanks!
--
AJH Studios, LLC.
www.ajhstudios.com