Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan

Re: [rant] You can forget about Blu Ray ever coming to the Mac n

said by skeechan:

Macs are losing their optical drives all together.

The superdrive that I replaced on my MacBook with an ssd is one of my favorite drives I've had (beyond the highly annoying LACK OF AN EJECT BUTTON).

Its my number one external drive currently. They should at least make an external bluray drive..

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

huh? Apple makes no hardware themselves, I hope you know that.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
You can buy external BRD drives, just not "by" Apple, just like you can buy printers, just not by Apple. I have LG BRDs on both my Mac Pro (internal) and mini (external) at my office. The problem is native OS support...that is missing just as BRD support was missing from Windows (at least on my Win 7 machines). I have no problem authoring discs using Toast. Playback of retail encrypted disc is the problem but not so much for me since I rip everything for my library anyway...DMCA be damned.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to Da Geek Kid

Premium Member

to Da Geek Kid
said by Da Geek Kid:

huh? Apple makes no hardware themselves, I hope you know that.

No crap. They are good at enforcing good standards, as the drive is faster then the other external dvd writers I've owned..

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

standards? how's that? Blueray standards is owned and operated by Sony. An OEM may make a faster drive and apple may select that, is all... That ain't no std I have heard of...

bob1
@comcast.net

bob1

Anon

said by Da Geek Kid:

Blueray standards is owned and operated by Sony.

no its not

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Correct, it's the Blu-Ray Disc Association and one of the board members is Apple. Dev and licensing is done by the BRDA.