Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

Personal Recommendation for "Secure WMA" Portable Player

I listen to a lot of audiobooks, downloaded from my local public library. Whenever possible, I get the mp3 version but some titles are only available via "secure WMA". So I'm looking for personal recommendations for a portable player.

Requirements:
* 2GB - 4GB storage (less is fine, won't be storing files after I've listened to them
* MUST be rechargeable
* MUST play protected/DRM'd WMA files
* MUST sync via USB on Windows 7/8
* MUST work with CAR audio (AUX) jack or USB connector
* MUST remember where I left off PER TITLE
* PREFER to be able to manually set a bookmark

Something like this looks to be about right but I don't know how it will meet the above requirements »www.amazon.com/SanDisk-S ··· 5FVNGRS/

Thoughts?
--
♬ Music is life ♬

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wooville
kudos:3

Re: Personal Recommendation for "Secure WMA" Portable

What have the people at the library suggested?
--
It's not really power unless you abuse it.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
I haven't asked them, I have asked folks here (more technically inclined) for personal recommendations.

Trust me, I work with librarians every day on a professional basis and most of them would not understand my list of requirements (or the more technically sophisticated among them don't personally use secure DRM files). And for what it's worth, the vendor that provides the download service has provided a list of "compatible" devices but a) I'm looking for something "more than compatible" and b) their list is full of discontinued products and I don't have the time to pick and choose through a list of 100+ items.

So, what device do you recommend?

If no one pipes up with a personal recommendation in a week or so, I'll take a chance on something that "looks good" on paper, so to speak.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious
)
I kind of miss my old Sansa Fuze - »www.amazon.com/SanDisk-S ··· 015L451I

The "Clip" is similar, but smaller version. I had an e200 series which was very nice too. Perfect little machines for Rhapsody at the time, and having expandable memory was very nice.

Only thing I don't know about is resume per title / manual bookmark.
I'm sure there are reviews that'd have such info.

Personally, I liked having it as a separate audio player, but my phone has become my primary player for my car/desk.

The only thing about them is that they're not the most sturdy device. As long as you get a case, and treat them gently, they are rather good.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Yeah, I did some reading up over the weekend. People really seem to hate the Fuze+ but love the Fuze. I'm not sure that I want to go down the road of buying a used device at this point...

I'm actually leaning towards the Zip Clip which seems like it will do what I want for a reasonable price. Since this will only be used for secure WMA audiobooks, I'm not overly worried about the UI, etc. And while I would prefer to use a USB connection over line out (AUX) in my care, for audiobooks it won't be that big of a deal.

I'd use my iPhone but it can't do secure WMA without converting via iTunes and it takes a horrendously long time for books that go 6-15 hours long.

So I might pick one up at Best Buy later this week and do a return if it doesn't work out...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

and..
I picked up a Clip Zip today and overall, like it really well.

I've only got one audiobook (secure WMA) title on it at the moment, so I'm not sure if it remembers where I left off per title as of yet but I have read that it should for both audiobooks and for podcasts. (Actually, it asks if you want to "resume" or "start over" -- kind of nice).

It won't work with my USB connection in my car but the AUX jack works fine.

I was very surprised with a) how small it is and b) the number of options/settings available. Both pluses as far as I'm concerned

The user controls are easy to use and intuitive; it makes a great walking or running device as it also include an FM tuner and a timer (with logs for longer term use/stats).

So there you have it
--
♬ Music is life ♬