PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch

Re: [Help] Serpentine problems/questions

Alignment of all the pulleys has to be in the same plane, just one of them slightly out of line can destroy belts.
Tensioners and idler pulleys have to be in good condition.
I use OEM belts, I had some issues with third party belts.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

said by PrntRhd:

I had some issues with third party belts.

I lost a belt in Williston Fla. Put in a cheap replacement, A year later driving through same town, the belt went again. Got a name-brand belt and it seems better but power-steering slips when cold.

The cheaper ones from auto parts stores are crap.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to PrntRhd

to PrntRhd
said by PrntRhd:

Alignment of all the pulleys has to be in the same plane, just one of them slightly out of line can destroy belts.

This^^^^

I bet one pulley is slightly misaligned and that puts extra pressure on one side of the belt.

You may be able to diagnose which one by looking at all pulleys one by one while the engine is running.

If it's not getting worse quickly and the belt replacement is not too difficult (meaning you can do it on the side of the road ) you can just carry an extra belt all the time and the tools needed to replace it. (On my car I can do it in ~5 minutes and I only need a 15 mm wrench and and a belt)

shdesigns