how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

Why don't people pick up dead leaves with lawn mowers?

I'm not saying nobody uses their lawn mowers to pick up the dead leaves from their lawn, but it certainly isn't one of the typical methods I see being used.

People either rake the leaves
Blow the leaves with a leaf blower
Which all end up having to put them in bags by hand
Unless you use a leaf vacuum.
It's all extra equipment (except for the rake).

Today, I cleaned up my front lawn. I had 11 bags.
Then I went to my backyard, it's 3 times the size of the front yard and has about 5 times the number of trees.
So I looked around, no one to see me.
I took my lawn mower, set it at the maximum height and went on my way.

In half the time it took me to do the front lawn, I had cleared my backyard with only 4 bags (Shredded leaves compact better) and had a cleaner end result!

Why? Why do people use leaf blowers, pick things up by hand? I can understand for the flower gardens, or on the patio, and in corners, but for the flat lawn area, why complicate things?

Is it that people just don't think about it?
Or they all "secretly" do it like I did? (Though next time I won't be so secretive, because it works!)

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus
Raking leaves will kill my back. Had a guy do the leaves in my front lawn and it took 90 bags (less than 4000sf). He was fast but it took 3 hours.

I got a riding mower with a triple bagger. Do it myself and the front is about 7 bags and takes half an hour.

Now I don't even bag, mow front leaves, drive to back of lot and dump bins.

Neighbor uses pushmower to chop up then blow into piles and bag. I'll do her back yard with riding mower. A few passes and it will blow all the chopped leaves into the back woods. Nothing like a 15HP blower/shredder If her front was not so steep, I'd do her front too.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

5 recommendations

said by shdesigns:

I'll do her back

said by shdesigns:

I'd do her front too.

Yes indeed...?

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo
I have a mulch kit on my rider. I just wait until all the leaves are down and I mow over them. I don't bag or rake. Heck, wife and neighbors are lucky I do that much. I's a firm believer in letting things grow where they will as nature intended.

Meaning my lawn would be a brush farm by now.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by Snakeoil:

I have a mulch kit on my rider. I just wait until all the leaves are down and I mow over them. I don't bag or rake. Heck, wife and neighbors are lucky I do that much. I's a firm believer in letting things grow where they will as nature intended.

Your logic is that you should let a forest grow in your backyard
Then you won't have grass to mow! YAY!

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to alkizmo
The only time I put the bagger on my walk-behind is in the fall. I use it to bag leaves in the yard as you inquired here. I have a rake and a blower/vac, but the lawnmower does the job faster.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to alkizmo
Or course. But my wife is on my about the jungle that is growing around the house. Plus all the mice the cats have captured inside the house So I have to go and keep it neat.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:6
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by shdesigns:

I'll do her back

said by shdesigns:

I'd do her front too.

Yes indeed...?

need a pic on this one... :P

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo
I use a sweeper behind my tractor... Does a great job, takes maybe 45 mins to do front and back yards; drive them to the back of the lot, and drop in the wood lot...

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to alkizmo
I hop on my rider and use that. Raking is for chumps.
--
Professional student pilot!

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
reply to alkizmo

Just got it this past week.

--
October is National Popcorn Popping Month

jbgroup1
Non Conformist
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Dayton, MD
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

+1
--
...as an individual, I have a right to [do] what I think, what I feel, and I think we all have a right to our own destiny as individuals. And I think I have a right to choose mine and everybody else has a right to choose theirs.
»jonestown.sdsu.edu

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to alkizmo
No bagger on my riding mower but last year I got a blower and vacuum. Nor sure I will be able to use ti this year - keeps raining on Fridays.

I will probably pour the chopped up leaves on the flower beds I did not get a chance to mulch.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2
reply to alkizmo
We only get about 20-30 bags a year and mowing takes less than 30 minutes; so it is not worth our while to get a more expensive mower than can bag.

rjgogo

join:2003-10-22
I use my mower, although it is larger than most

»www.trac-vac.com/index_files/PtoVacs.htm

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to alkizmo
1) Run the mower over them, filling the bag
2) Dump bag in barrels (I have 5 Brute barrels)
3) When the barrels are full, shut the mower down and fill paper bags with them--I use those cardboard chutes, no bending/etc... I put the cardboard chute across a barrel and load a bag on that way..

Takes me a few hours to do the entire lawn, almost no bending except to take off the mower bag.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to alkizmo
We have about an acre of lawn in the middle of the woods. I have a push mower and set to much all year long. Mowing in the fall lifts the dead leaves up and chops them up. Some compost in the lawn and some get blown down the hill into the woods.

Matter of fact that mowing the lawn is on the to-do list for tomorrow.

Except for a couple of special places that tend to trap leaves I don't do any raking.

The leaves were here before we built the house and they will be here long after I'm gone.

/tom

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
+10

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to alkizmo
At prior places, I used to rake.

At this place (of 17 years), I used to mow (mulch)/bag. Well, actually, I through them in the woods behind my house

I gave up after two years because nobody else does anything with their leaves. So, now I just mulch without bagging. Quite honestly, it really doesn't look any different than places that bag.

I guess a lot of it depends on the leaf types.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
reply to alkizmo
I did that ONCE. 12 bags for the front alone.

Now I just feed it all back to the grass via mulching mower.

Woot!

D'ave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Coma
said by Coma:

Just got it this past week.

[att=1]

Saweet. Can't beat good ole made in PA!

Dave

Edit: spelling
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to alkizmo
I use the lawn tractor with the bagger on it. My biggest problem is that pin oak leaves don't seem to mulch well for some reason. The maple and ash leaves will get shredded, but the pin oak leaves pass right through whole and fill the bagger up fast.

sparks

join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR
reply to alkizmo
I wait till about Thanksgiving here in Ar and just mulch them up.
I guess it might be good for the lawn but they are gone and I don't have to rake them.
I can't tell there was ever a leaf in my yard after I run over them with the mower and I have 3 pecans and a maple in my back yard. YEA and one of these days I am going to get a pecan off one of them. DAMN SQUIRRELS LOL

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

I'm not saying nobody uses their lawn mowers to pick up the dead leaves from their lawn, but it certainly isn't one of the typical methods I see being used.

I run the mower over them and leave them. Makes great mulch.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to alkizmo
Ok next year I'll mulch, the bag did fill up fast.

But it seems to me that WE (DIY kinda guys) use the mower.
Yet in my neighborhood, I only see people raking, blowing, sucking.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to alkizmo
When I lived back east and had a yard and field to rake. I just used the riding mower and didn't have a bag attachment. I just let it discharge like I was cutting grass. Except I made two passes just to make sure it was chopped up fine. Never had any problems with grass growing next season.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to alkizmo
As several others have already pointed out, with a decent mulching blade you never have to bag anything, ever. The first mowing season after I moved into this house (25 years ago) I bagged everything (clippings, leaves), just like my neighbors did. But by season two I'd installed a mulching blade, and I haven't looked back since. I notice that almost no one else around here bags these days, either. And why should you, since you're just throwing away free fertilizer if you do?

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo
I haven't raked bagged or burned in years. I know when we lived in town at least one neighbour was amused at the sight of me mulching with my mower when "there are things to buy specialy for dealing with leaves."
This fall we'll mulch five or six times to keep up.
They way I look at it, leaves represent the nutrients and minerals that the trees pulled out of my yard. Mulching them puts it back.

ame101

join:2002-05-02
Southington, CT
reply to alkizmo
I use one of them and tow it behind mower.

Stumbles

join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL
reply to tp0d
I don't think dslreports allows "leafography" pictures especially of the full "front" variety.