share rss forum feed

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Coma

Re: Why don't people pick up dead leaves with lawn mowers?

said by Coma:

Just got it this past week.

[att=1]

Saweet. Can't beat good ole made in PA!

Dave

Edit: spelling
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to alkizmo

I use the lawn tractor with the bagger on it. My biggest problem is that pin oak leaves don't seem to mulch well for some reason. The maple and ash leaves will get shredded, but the pin oak leaves pass right through whole and fill the bagger up fast.

sparks

join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR
reply to alkizmo

I wait till about Thanksgiving here in Ar and just mulch them up.
I guess it might be good for the lawn but they are gone and I don't have to rake them.
I can't tell there was ever a leaf in my yard after I run over them with the mower and I have 3 pecans and a maple in my back yard. YEA and one of these days I am going to get a pecan off one of them. DAMN SQUIRRELS LOL

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

I'm not saying nobody uses their lawn mowers to pick up the dead leaves from their lawn, but it certainly isn't one of the typical methods I see being used.

I run the mower over them and leave them. Makes great mulch.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to alkizmo

Ok next year I'll mulch, the bag did fill up fast.

But it seems to me that WE (DIY kinda guys) use the mower.
Yet in my neighborhood, I only see people raking, blowing, sucking.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to alkizmo

When I lived back east and had a yard and field to rake. I just used the riding mower and didn't have a bag attachment. I just let it discharge like I was cutting grass. Except I made two passes just to make sure it was chopped up fine. Never had any problems with grass growing next season.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to alkizmo

As several others have already pointed out, with a decent mulching blade you never have to bag anything, ever. The first mowing season after I moved into this house (25 years ago) I bagged everything (clippings, leaves), just like my neighbors did. But by season two I'd installed a mulching blade, and I haven't looked back since. I notice that almost no one else around here bags these days, either. And why should you, since you're just throwing away free fertilizer if you do?

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo

I haven't raked bagged or burned in years. I know when we lived in town at least one neighbour was amused at the sight of me mulching with my mower when "there are things to buy specialy for dealing with leaves."
This fall we'll mulch five or six times to keep up.
They way I look at it, leaves represent the nutrients and minerals that the trees pulled out of my yard. Mulching them puts it back.

ame101

join:2002-05-02
Southington, CT
reply to alkizmo

I use one of them and tow it behind mower.

Stumbles

join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL
reply to tp0d

I don't think dslreports allows "leafography" pictures especially of the full "front" variety.

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Tig

Tig See Profile "there are things to buy specialy for dealing with leaves."

I know some people can justify equipment like that-and it makes sense it certain cases. But, to me, it isn't about cost. It is just one more machine to keep around and maintain-for something that only gets used a few times a year.

Mulching with mower works fine for me. OK, if they are really thick, run over with mulcher first and then pass a second time bagging.

Now, I have a massive willow oak in my yard-those leaves are terrible. You can't rake them (pass through rake) and can't mow/mulch (blows them around) And I am not buying a vacuum just for one tree.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to alkizmo

The simple answer may be that not all lawnmowers are mulching capable by design. Some are actually more work than it's worth. A small walk-behind with a bag on it often fills too quickly and is a pain in the a** to empty every hundred feet or so. If the mower doesn't mulch, bag emptying takes more time than raking or blowing and collecting/garbage bagging.

I know that my old Toro did a much better job of mulching than my newer LawnBoy does. I normally use my Cub Cadet to collect leaves in the fall, especially during heavy fall periods, where it appears to be "raining" leaves (like now). Even then, I usually just pick up the first load and just the let the whole system fill up and "clog" the discharge pipe. From that point on it mulches quite well. After I get the whole yard mulched, I take a couple of minutes to clean out the bags and chute, and proceed to vacuum the yard. Mulched leaves take up a lot less room than whole leaves do, consequently, fewer stops to empty the bags.

I have read that as long as leaf clutter is no larger than quarter-sized pieces and that at least 80% of the grass is visible, it's "safe" to just leave it lie. It doesn't look very well, though, so I usually pick up as much as I can. I have a neighbor who never picks up any leaves. He mulches and lets them lie, but in all honesty, his walk-behind mower does an excellent job of mulching. It's some off brand with high wheels in the back, but it does a nice job. The only concern I have for it is that he mows what I would consider excessively low all the time. To me, low is two and a half inches.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN

You can buy a good mulching blade to fit almost any mower (you can buy de-thatching blades, too; I actually have one of these but have never used it, because the mulching has worked so well), but a mower designed for mulching (where the designs of both the blade and the body come into play) will generally produce the fastest, cleanest results. For standard leaf fall I just mow over things as usual. For heavy leaf fall (where the leaves are very thick), sometimes I have to make two passes, maybe three where I've had to rake the leaves a bit first in order to spread them out, which is usually necessary when they are wet.

Funny, when I first started doing this my neighbors would often stop and ask me what was up (these were usually the types who would bag everything), so I would take a couple of minutes to explain it. Then they would stand and watch, thinking that this wasn't going to work (and again, it might not work completely on the first pass), but when in a couple of minutes the leaves had magically all but disappeared, they were converted. Now almost nobody on my block bags anything.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

Why don't people pick up dead leaves with lawn mowers?

Pick up? I don't even rake them!

We have a blanketing layer of leaves on our lawn and as soon as we get a dry autumn day, we mow over the lawn and then mow over it again and there's just little bits of confetti leaves all over the lawn that will either blow away or shrivel up in a week or so. Every pass we make they get smaller and smaller until we wonder why people actually rake leaves.

We have a plush green lawn too, so our method works just fine.

Edit: Oh, good, someone else does what I do LOL:

said by DKS:

I run the mower over them and leave them. Makes great mulch.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to jrs8084

said by jrs8084:

Tig See Profile "there are things to buy specialy for dealing with leaves."

I know some people can justify equipment like that-and it makes sense it certain cases. But, to me, it isn't about cost. It is just one more machine to keep around and maintain-for something that only gets used a few times a year.

I've not seen a machine that does a better job of shredding leaves than a riding mower. I'm glad because I don't want another machine either.
I have about 2/3 of an acre, willow, poplar, ash and some young maple. My situation is bit different than some here. I only have to look at the shredded leaves for a month or so, then they are covered by snow.
Come spring there's not much left to look at. A bit of tidying up in the hard to reach places and it's soon time to cut grass. In the past I've dug excess spring clean up leaves into the garden.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to alkizmo

Clever idea with the mowing and leaves!

I would never buy a house unless I could comfortably afford to have much of the housecleaning and yard work done by the hired help or a house without an attached large garage.

I've lived the past 13 years in paradise on 1/2 acre and all of the outside stuff is taken care of by others and it requires work daily! Inside my place I'm on my own and it shows.

However, I am very envious of homeowners with a nice place and wish all of them well with the absolute minimum of problems and work required to keep things nice.

Sometime when you have absolutely nothing better in life to do check the price of genuine luxury condos compared to high priced houses. You will be shocked at the prices for the condos. Their is a reason for their selling price and high demand!

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

Different strokes for different folks. I actually really enjoy getting out there and doing yard work. I would hate living in a place where I could not do this. I also like owning a place where, within reason, I can do whatever I want to my property.

Expand your moderator at work

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo

Re: Why don't people pick up dead leaves with lawn mowers?

What I can't understand is why people are giving up the free fertilizer by bagging and then sending that stuff to a landfill where the bag may decompose in about 200 billion years.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

2 recommendations

said by ke4pym:

I can't understand is why people are giving up the free fertilizer . . .

Because it's free and therefore not worth anything.

--
October is National Popcorn Popping Month

shdesigns