Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus
reply to ke4pym

Re: Why don't people pick up dead leaves with lawn mowers?

said by ke4pym:

What I can't understand is why people are giving up the free fertilizer by bagging and then sending that stuff to a landfill where the bag may decompose in about 200 billion years.

Here, I get near 6" of leaves (100+ foot oak, hickory trees.) Will kill lawn if you don't remove at least half of the leaves. The fescue does not like the PH of the red oak leaves.

The county will not accept leaves in plastic bags. must be paper. Most other areas are that way.

I put mine in the back yard and compost them. Then, usually add a bit of lime and broadcast the compost over the lawn.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

said by alkizmo:

Why don't people pick up dead leaves with lawn mowers?

Pick up? I don't even rake them!

We have a blanketing layer of leaves on our lawn and as soon as we get a dry autumn day, we mow over the lawn and then mow over it again and there's just little bits of confetti leaves all over the lawn that will either blow away or shrivel up in a week or so. Every pass we make they get smaller and smaller until we wonder why people actually rake leaves.

We have a plush green lawn too, so our method works just fine.

Edit: Oh, good, someone else does what I do LOL:

said by DKS:

I run the mower over them and leave them. Makes great mulch.

Canadians are practical...
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to ke4pym

said by ke4pym:

What I can't understand is why people are giving up the free fertilizer by bagging and then sending that stuff to a landfill where the bag may decompose in about 200 billion years.

Agree - we try to compost as much as we can, both food and yard waste. Here in Southern NH about the only thing we grow is rocks. The last glacier pretty much stripped off all the top soil.

We have the advantage of living in the woods so we have plenty of space and there is no grass police in our town.

/Tom

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to shdesigns

said by shdesigns:

said by ke4pym:

Here, I get near 6" of leaves (100+ foot oak, hickory trees.) Will kill lawn if you don't remove at least half of the leaves. The fescue does not like the PH of the red oak leaves.

The county will not accept leaves in plastic bags. must be paper. Most other areas are that way.

I put mine in the back yard and compost them. Then, usually add a bit of lime and broadcast the compost over the lawn.

They put them in plastic bags here. And while you're removing the leaves from the yard, you're still keeping them and reusing them later. Which is great! Not the same as dumping them in the landfill.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to ke4pym

said by ke4pym:

My dogs get lost in the leaves they pile up so high, and if they don't get picked up they smother the grass and kill it. Mine get hauled to the city compost facility, where they turn it into beautiful compost that I can have for free whenever I need it. So it's not like they're being landfilled. I don't know of anywhere that allows lawn material into the landfill.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
reply to DKS

So do I... except that I make sure to lower the front wheels- you can barely even tell that there were leaves.. the mower I use has the mulching option on it.

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to alkizmo

The only time I use the leaf catcher on my mower is when I want to move some of the leaves from one part of the yard that has too many, to another part of the yard that has too few.

I mow in the leaves. Free compost and the earthworms aid in aeration. Lawn looks great in the spring.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to alkizmo

I clear the leaves with a blower when they're so thick that the contributions of my two poop-making machines (lab-mix rescues) can't be found. I really don't want to run over all their good work with the mower, and my feet, so blowing the leaves off allows me to find and properly dispose of them.

That, plus some times the leaves are more than a foot thick in some areas, so trying to mulch those would still leave a few inches of lawn smothering bits on top of the grass.

But those times I can feel confident I've found most of the poop and the leaves aren't too deep I'll run the mulching mower over them. It is nice to get the free lawn food into the yard.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to ke4pym

said by ke4pym:

Sounds like backward thinking on the part of the waste collection people. Around here, yard waste is taken to a composting site and composted with city sludge.

DilloDirt

Regarding using the mower, I find it too slow. I have a really good blower and just blow into big piles and bag them.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
reply to ke4pym

said by ke4pym:

Or it goes to a recycling center where it's composted, bagged and sold back to them by home depot.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to alkizmo

I mulch mine... I used to blow them up to a point but found over the years that the lawnmower can mulch them. So I just mulch them now.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to alkizmo

Really, I think the question is who doesn't?

I use my pushmower. It works really well, like a vacuum, sucking up & chopping up the leaves.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to alkizmo

I collect all my leaves (even the ones I have mulched) and have an area of about 10x40', where I can never get grass to grow, (between two fences) where I pile them and let them compost. I use my roto-tiller a couple of times a year to turn the pile and sometimes add a little quick-lime to hasten the composting, and counteract the acidic pin oak leaves which make up about 80% of the leaves around here.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to alkizmo

Me and mom do the leaves in teamwork. I use a backpack blower to pile the leaves and she vacuums them up with an electric blower with a vacuum attachment. The reason mom does the dirty part is I have horrible allergies year round that show their true colors in the spring and fall and sometimes Allegra is not enough (which I have been taking every day since 2006.
--
Romney-Ryan and Scott Brown are the Right Choice as they are Hope & Change you can count on.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA
reply to alkizmo

I just mow my grass, the leaves mulch, leaves the goodness in the ground. If you keep picking them up, the nutrients will be removed from that area.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
reply to alkizmo

Click for full size
I use the walk behind and the bag to get my leaves up. There would be far to many to just leave there and the oak leaves are too acidic from what I hear to mulch and leave on the ground.

Raked my front yard which should be the last time this year, and the back yard, 2.5 truck loads of my full size truck of mulched leaves to the leaf dept. The city doesn't pick up the leaves

I want to get a sucker like Coma See Profile for next year. I don't know if it will be more efficient however. Coma how did it work for you? Maybe ill try and pick one up for cheap after the first snow fall >:(
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by hitachi369:

I want to get a sucker like Coma See Profile for next year. I don't know if it will be more efficient however. Coma how did it work for you? Maybe ill try and pick one up for cheap after the first snow fall >:(

My partner picked up a used one for $350 last week and we have not put through it's paces yet, but the preliminary thought is that the leaves need to be blown into a pile then vaccum mulched. The external hose is a bonus for around plants and shrubbery.

Next week when this east coast storm passes, we'll give it a good test run.

--
October is National Popcorn Popping Month

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to hitachi369

I like the truck full of leaves. Reminds me of when I used to haul leaves away for my dad. I used to park my open trailer and he would fill it. Then I'd drive down the country roads from his place, leaving a trail to my compost pile.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
reply to alkizmo

They do it the hard way because commercials for products told them to.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to alkizmo

For those of you complaining about soil pH and acidity and such, lawn lime is cheap enough and goes a long way towards correcting this problem. Lime and gypsum (for clay soils) also make good soil conditioners.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

Canadians are practical...

Or lazy...

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

said by ropeguru:

Or lazy...

I'm sorry, but the word you are looking for is "polite".
I apologize if I offended you.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

Not sure what you are pointing out. I was joking with DKS in his response about Canadians being practical by not doing anything with their leaves.

Expand your moderator at work

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

Re: Why don't people pick up dead leaves with lawn mowers?

That's what I used to do up north. I blew all the leaves into a big pile and just chewed it up with the 50" 3-blade mower deck on the garden tractor I had.

I have a Toro Super Recycler and I just bag them up down here in Florida.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Anon

said by therock0503:

By far, the most efficient way to get leaves up I have ever seen was to blow all the leaves into a pile, and then mulch them up with a mower (so that they turned into really small pieces), and then put all the mulched up pieces into bags. Keep in mind that you are not necessarily bagging them with the mower, just mulching them. You can fit 10x as many leaves mulched up in bags than without doing mulching them.

Define efficient please. I've done my modest size lot both with mulching+bagging, mowing, and just blowing. Blowing was by far the fastest and produced the best overall results.

Mulching and bagging requires you to do as much work as just blowing them to the curb...and THEN you get to suck them all up and bag them after they've been mulched. If you suck up too many, or get a decent sized stick involved, then you have to stop, unclog the chute, then start back up. I have several hickory trees and the nuts and shells are hard on the impeller.

Mowing alone can work if you do it frequently and multiple times. I choose to not mow my lawn daily, and even after a few days at peek leaf-falling season there are too many leaves to properly mulch by mowing. Dogs end up bringing in half the particalized leaves stuck to their fur coats.

Any more I just rake/blow them to the curb the weekend before the city comes around and picks them up. One side of the drive for the front yard where the kids can play in. The other side for the back yard leaves where the kids don't want to play in since the dogs already have...

Also, if it's more efficient to mulch them, then why doesn't the city mulch them as they pick them up? It would save them 10x the trips with your indicated savings. Instead they just load them up into dump trucks and haul them off to a composting site.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

said by cdru:

Any more I just rake/blow them to the curb

That would be illegal here

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Where I am, the city has a program to pick them up in bulk from the curb.
Their goal is to divert the material from the landfill.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by Cho Baka:

Where I am, the city has a program to pick them up in bulk from the curb.
Their goal is to divert the material from the landfill.

That's the way it is here. State law prohibits leaves in the garbage headed to the landfill (at least in significant quantities).

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to alkizmo

Our city prohibits yard waste from going with the trash, and instead requires that it all be stuffed into those big paper sacks. Lucky for me I have an area at the back of my lot where I can just blow the leaves and let 'em lie there over the winter.