Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to DKS

Re: Why don't people pick up dead leaves with lawn mowers?

said by DKS:

Canadians are practical...

Or lazy...

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
said by ropeguru:

Or lazy...

I'm sorry, but the word you are looking for is "polite".
I apologize if I offended you.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
Not sure what you are pointing out. I was joking with DKS in his response about Canadians being practical by not doing anything with their leaves.
Expand your moderator at work

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

Re: Why don't people pick up dead leaves with lawn mowers?

That's what I used to do up north. I blew all the leaves into a big pile and just chewed it up with the 50" 3-blade mower deck on the garden tractor I had.

I have a Toro Super Recycler and I just bag them up down here in Florida.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Anon
said by therock0503:

By far, the most efficient way to get leaves up I have ever seen was to blow all the leaves into a pile, and then mulch them up with a mower (so that they turned into really small pieces), and then put all the mulched up pieces into bags. Keep in mind that you are not necessarily bagging them with the mower, just mulching them. You can fit 10x as many leaves mulched up in bags than without doing mulching them.

Define efficient please. I've done my modest size lot both with mulching+bagging, mowing, and just blowing. Blowing was by far the fastest and produced the best overall results.

Mulching and bagging requires you to do as much work as just blowing them to the curb...and THEN you get to suck them all up and bag them after they've been mulched. If you suck up too many, or get a decent sized stick involved, then you have to stop, unclog the chute, then start back up. I have several hickory trees and the nuts and shells are hard on the impeller.

Mowing alone can work if you do it frequently and multiple times. I choose to not mow my lawn daily, and even after a few days at peek leaf-falling season there are too many leaves to properly mulch by mowing. Dogs end up bringing in half the particalized leaves stuck to their fur coats.

Any more I just rake/blow them to the curb the weekend before the city comes around and picks them up. One side of the drive for the front yard where the kids can play in. The other side for the back yard leaves where the kids don't want to play in since the dogs already have...

Also, if it's more efficient to mulch them, then why doesn't the city mulch them as they pick them up? It would save them 10x the trips with your indicated savings. Instead they just load them up into dump trucks and haul them off to a composting site.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
said by cdru:

Any more I just rake/blow them to the curb

That would be illegal here

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Where I am, the city has a program to pick them up in bulk from the curb.
Their goal is to divert the material from the landfill.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by Cho Baka:

Where I am, the city has a program to pick them up in bulk from the curb.
Their goal is to divert the material from the landfill.

That's the way it is here. State law prohibits leaves in the garbage headed to the landfill (at least in significant quantities).

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to alkizmo
Our city prohibits yard waste from going with the trash, and instead requires that it all be stuffed into those big paper sacks. Lucky for me I have an area at the back of my lot where I can just blow the leaves and let 'em lie there over the winter.

therock0503

join:2013-01-04
Raleigh, NC
reply to cdru
well yeah, if you have the option to put it on the curb, then that is by far the best option. I was just saying, if they dont come pick it up where you are, and you are gonna haul it off (like I saw in the white truck), then you are best off doing what I recommended mulching and then putting in bags.

Curb is the way to go, if in the city limits and they do it where you're at.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to alkizmo
Mowing leaves works very poorly with a reel mower.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to alkizmo
You missed something important:

If lot is flat... Starting in September, start mowing grass shorter...
When leaves fall, they will blow on neighbors lot!

If you are on a hill... Wind will blow then downhill...

If you are downhill..... You don't need to read the above !
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle