All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

AnonTechEDM
@telus.net

AnonTechEDM to rustydusty

Anon

to rustydusty

Re: Looks like Telus is Jacking their prices again for TV/Phone.

said by rustydusty:

TV and Phone, Shaw and Telus are usually in similar ball parks if you want to compare. Different bundles, plans, promotions, etc. The quality is fairly close, although I think my Optik HD looked a little better than my Shaw HD, IMO. You want to compare hardware or internet, though, Shaw is far superior as of now. Don't bother trying to argue congestion or "sharing" with your neighbours. The line issues that can happen with Telus are just as bad as possible congestion with any cable provider. In 9 years, I had a 6 month spell of congestion where my speeds were half where they should be. Regardless of that, I run biz at home, and Telus couldn't come close to anything I currently have with Shaw. They can't even provide me an upload more than 1Mb with Static IP's. The price of fiber/T1's are absolutely mind blowing, on any provider. The fact they can charge $300/month for a single T1 is mind blowing. Sure it's a consistent 1.4Mb/s speed, however the technology is so old it's from the 50's! How they can get away with charge prices for such an old and terrible service is beyond me.

Because t1's are a specialty service, it is not designed for average consumer usage. and please don't mix up congestion with line conditions because shaw can suffer line conditions as well. I have yet to run into a trouble where a Telus customer is suffering from congestion issues because telus knows how to build a network to support the speeds they advertise.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

You bet, you get the whopping 25x2, until you start up a HD stream. I found that extremely disappointing. They need to offer some hardware for the advanced user to seperate the net from tv service. The Actiontec is just painful and extremely limited. The ALU is damn near impossible to retrieve unless you are one of few biz's in a VDSL upgraded area.

Please explain to me the higher costs for a T1 over a standard unmanaged DSL? The line is not monitored for packet loss, sync loss or any other issues. The speeds are terrible, even if you get the full 1.4 at all times. Bond a few together like I had to do at our shop and you can get your 10Mb, but with a hefty cost. Downloading a driver can saturate the pathetic 10Mb down.

AnonTechEDM
@telus.com

AnonTechEDM

Anon

said by rustydusty:

You bet, you get the whopping 25x2, until you start up a HD stream. I found that extremely disappointing. They need to offer some hardware for the advanced user to seperate the net from tv service. The Actiontec is just painful and extremely limited. The ALU is damn near impossible to retrieve unless you are one of few biz's in a VDSL upgraded area.

Please explain to me the higher costs for a T1 over a standard unmanaged DSL? The line is not monitored for packet loss, sync loss or any other issues. The speeds are terrible, even if you get the full 1.4 at all times. Bond a few together like I had to do at our shop and you can get your 10Mb, but with a hefty cost. Downloading a driver can saturate the pathetic 10Mb down.

What you are talking about is more localized congestion ( and most TTV customers on a vdsl2 circuit won't have this problem) where shaw suffers heavily on node congestion.
As far as t1 vs DSL
»lmgtfy.com/?q=t1+vs+dsl