dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

osxtasy
join:2008-07-03

osxtasy

[WIN8] How will Win8pro upgrade affect my Win7 Fam Pack??

Hey All,

I currently have the Windows 7 family pack(3pack) installed on 2 of my pc's. I am interested in purchasing the Win8Pro upgrade for $39.00 and holding onto it (burning from iso) to install later.

My question is, if I buy this (from running the upgrade advisor from 1 of the 2 machines currently running a copy for the Win7 family pack), and download the iso file and install, will it invalidate the other 2 licenses from the family pack if I only install it on one of the 3 licenses, since they all use the same install key?

In addition, will I get a installation serial/code that will work from the one purchase license of Win8 pro for 39.00, and will it work/replace the installation key(all 3 Win7 Family pack licenses use the same key)?

quaker
Premium Member
join:2001-12-27
Rocky River, OH

quaker

Premium Member

To answer one of the questions you will have to buy 3 win8 licenses if you choose to upgrade 3 PC's. Win8 just needs to detect a qualifying license.

I'm not sure my self but technically the win7 key is void once the win8 upgrade licenses is bought. But since the only way to install the win8 upgrade licenses is have win7 or some other version on windows on the PC i'm sure the win7 license will still work whether or not it will activate i'm not sure.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to osxtasy

Premium Member

to osxtasy
said by microsoft1:

The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way.

Seems pretty cut & dry.

Can be referenced all over.

osxtasy
join:2008-07-03

1 edit

osxtasy

But there is ONLY 1 KEY for all three of those Win7 licenses. Do you see my concern? Lets say I "just" upgrade 1 machine, and when I do, this new Win8pro key/serial/license INVALIDATES that old Win7 KEY completely.... Then I'd have 2 licenses (only one installed) that become INVALIDATED.

With that said, then it appears I HAVE to buy 3 copies ALL AT ONCE is what I'm seeing, NO? Why cant they just make a Win8Pro family pack for $120.00 and be done with it?

Microsoft REALLY needs to clarify this.

Apple is WAAY more lenient in this type of scenario, and I have enough macs to know this for a fact. I don't love everything Apple
does, but they DO get this part right.

Unfortunately I'm the type(career field wise) that HAS to use the "best tool for the job"(including linux), and prefer to have all versions of O/S's if possible...

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to osxtasy

MVM

to osxtasy
Take a look at this:

»Re: Clean install with Windows 8 Upgrade?

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to osxtasy

Premium Member

to osxtasy
I would think that if Microsoft has the ability to activate and uniquely identify three unique systems with the same product key that they'd have a system in place to identify when one & only one of those were activated.

I don't foresee you logging onto one of the remaining systems one day and seeing the "Not activated" screen. If, for some reason, that did happen I would think a call to Microsoft would get things straightened out. It seems silly that they'd invalidate all legit product activations for this scenario.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

So was the OP able to install Windows 8 OK? How did it effect his 3 user license for Win 7?
Dexius4
join:2004-12-04
Columbus, GA

Dexius4 to osxtasy

to osxtasy
I upgraded all of my computers that had a Windows 7 family pack key just fine. All of them are activated.