All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

PeterP
@optonline.net

PeterP

Anon

2 Modems running Boost Plus or One modem running Ultra???

Greetings,

Currently have optimum boost plus modem but need more speed/bandwith... I am hesitant in Ultra upgrade due to many users reporting below par speeds and issues...

Now here is what I need to know will Ultra provide a bigger BW pipe and speed or would the 2 modem boost plus setup?

If you need further info on setup lmk

and thanks

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I think they just use one modem and keep the same line, but I might be wrong

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon to PeterP

to PeterP
What exactly do you need more speed for?
What is your use case?

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to PeterP

Premium Member

to PeterP
I think it would be about the same, but with 2 boost plus you would have to manage your usage across two connections.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to PeterP

to PeterP
Good luck trying to get 2 modems. We had 2 go through 3 days of arguing with power to learn to get another modem. They stated its now against rules for one address to have more then one cablemodem.

Eventually they gave in. Keep in mind usually both modems are effected by problems in your area. Atleast once every two months both modems go out at the same time.

We. Use one for the public network and one for the wireless network.

PeterP
@optonline.net

PeterP

Anon

said by majortom1029:

Good luck trying to get 2 modems. We had 2 go through 3 days of arguing with power to learn to get another modem. They stated its now against rules for one address to have more then one cablemodem.

Eventually they gave in. Keep in mind usually both modems are effected by problems in your area. Atleast once every two months both modems go out at the same time.

We. Use one for the public network and one for the wireless network.

That is strange..... This is for a commercial warehouse btw so maybe optimum business division might be different?
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to PeterP

to PeterP
said by PeterP :

Greetings,

Currently have optimum boost plus modem but need more speed/bandwith... I am hesitant in Ultra upgrade due to many users reporting below par speeds and issues...

Now here is what I need to know will Ultra provide a bigger BW pipe and speed or would the 2 modem boost plus setup?

and thanks

If you get below-par speeds with Boost Plus, you will probably get below-par speeds with ultra. If you get near-perfect speeds on Boost Plus consistently (people report as high as 60 with their speed tests here), then that is as good of a chance of you getting good speeds with Ultra as you can have prior to upgrading. However, there's not a lot of those threads anymore. A year ago or more was a different story.

You will end up with a negligible difference in provisioned & advertised broadband on 2 Boost Plus modems vs 1 Ultra modem. An additional Boost Plus modem will cost $60/month more ($44.95 + $14.95) than your current bill, where upgrade from Boost Plus to Ultra will be $35/month more ($15 charge replaced with $50 charge) with the one-time $300 activation charge.

PeterP
@optonline.net

PeterP

Anon

said by frdrizzt:

said by PeterP :

Greetings,

and thanks

If you get below-par speeds with Boost Plus, you will probably get below-par speeds with ultra. If you get near-perfect speeds on Boost Plus consistently (people report as high as 60 with their speed tests here), then that is as good of a chance of you getting good speeds with Ultra as you can have prior to upgrading. However, there's not a lot of those threads anymore. A year ago or more was a different story.

You will end up with a negligible difference in provisioned & advertised broadband on 2 Boost Plus modems vs 1 Ultra modem. An additional Boost Plus modem will cost $60/month more ($44.95 + $14.95) than your current bill, where upgrade from Boost Plus to Ultra will be $35/month more ($15 charge replaced with $50 charge) with the one-time $300 activation charge.

That is a good point thx
majortom1029
Medford, NY

majortom1029

Power to learn is the school and and library division. we get better support then business. we had to have our account rep at power to learn go up the food chain to get it approved.

We were told its a cablevision wife policy not just a power to learn policy.
cabletecht
join:2012-06-08

cabletecht

said by majortom1029:

Power to learn is the school and and library division. we get better support then business. we had to have our account rep at power to learn go up the food chain to get it approved.

modem limit might be power to learn only. Business and even residential accounts can have as many modems as they please, only difference is they actually pay for them.
majortom1029
Medford, NY

majortom1029

said by cabletecht:

said by majortom1029:

modem limit might be power to learn only. Business and even residential accounts can have as many modems as they please, only difference is they actually pay for them.

we pay for all our modems we have an ultra modem and a boost plus modem.
cabletecht
join:2012-06-08

cabletecht

said by majortom1029:

said by cabletecht:

said by majortom1029:

we pay for all our modems we have an ultra modem and a boost plus modem.

cool...but again. residential and business accounts can have as many modems as they want w/o climbing ladders.