Glen T
join:2003-11-03
BC

2 edits

Glen T to izy

to izy

Re: [WIN8] Who is buying Windows 8?

said by izy:

I Not trying to get anal here but have you tried 8.

Yup. I have installed it as an upgrade on separate machine that I'm using for installer testing.

My point here is that I have 43 folders of shortcuts for installed software and misc. MS stuff in my Start menu under All Programs. Each folder contains a minimum of 2-3 shortcuts. Some (like MS Office Enterprise) have more than 10 shortcuts.

When I install Windows software on Win8 Pro, it automatically puts all of the installed program's shortcuts at the top level in the Metro Start page. Since you can't create folders on the Metro Start page, you can't organize the shortcuts easily. That would be about 200 shortcuts compared to your 50 or so.

Of those, I would want an average of two shortcuts per program and so I would have to delete the rest. So I still have to go to the apps page to get at the utility or uxiliary programs, which will have about 300 icons on it, also with no folders to organize it. But that still leaves about double the number of tiles that you have on your Metro Start page. And that's not including any RT apps.

Since I can't make the tiles smaller, there is no efficient way of organizing this. So, I have to scroll back and forth, without the benefit of a touch screen.

After about 20 hours of actual work-related usage, I find the Metro Start screen horribly inefficient for desktop work use.

Edit: BTW, Metro Start screen is a scroll mouse to corner plus one click away from the desktop, so launching another program for me is scroll mouse to corner + click + scroll Start screen to show tile + click (or right-click Start screen, click App charm, scroll to find shortcut + click). It is not one click.

izy
MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop
ProCurve (HP) V1810-24g
SonicWALL TZ215
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

1 recommendation

izy

MVM

Click for full size
said by Glen T:

When I install Windows software on Win8 Pro, it automatically puts all of the installed program's shortcuts at the top level in the Metro Start page. Since you can't create folders on the Metro Start page, you can't organize the shortcuts easily. That would be about 200 shortcuts compared to your 50 or so.

And you can easily "unpin" those programs from the top-level metro interface.

Attached "All Programs" screenie under metro which is just one third of all installed programs on one screen. Again, have you actually used Win8 yet?
izy

izy to Glen T

MVM

to Glen T
said by Glen T:

Edit: BTW, Metro Start screen is a scroll mouse to corner plus one click away from the desktop, so launching another program for me is scroll mouse to corner + click + scroll Start screen to show tile + click (or right-click Start screen, click App charm, scroll to find shortcut + click). It is not one click.

Sorry, after re-reading missed this but man are you making it tough on yourself....even with windows 7 using the start menu or metro to locate an app!

Win7:
Win key - Type name of app in the search box to return results

Win8:
Win key - Start typing name of app.

Win7/Win8 if it is installed search will find it!

jbgroup1
Non Conformist
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
Dayton, MD

1 recommendation

jbgroup1 to Glen T

Premium Member

to Glen T
said by Glen T:

said by izy:

I Not trying to get anal here but have you tried 8.

Yup. I have installed it as an upgrade on separate machine that I'm using for installer testing...

...When I install Windows software on Win8 Pro, it automatically puts all of the installed program's shortcuts at the top level in the Metro Start page. Since you can't create folders on the Metro Start page, you can't organize the shortcuts easily. That would be about 200 shortcuts compared to your 50 or so....

You actually can create "folders" in the Modern start menu. Move the icons you want to group to a column. Click the '-' (minus) sign in the lower right corner. Right click on the column. Click name your column and name your column. And you have "folders" just like one may have had them in the old start menu.

Edited--correction

izy
MVM
endless loop

izy

MVM

Excellent! Did not know that. More I use Win8 the more I'm diggin it.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

I wouldn't want my Microsoft Live user to be my login for Windows. I have a very very strong password for my Live account that I keep in my password management program and I use a simpler password for Windows log on. All Internet facing logins get very strong, random passwords.

izy
MVM
endless loop

izy

MVM

You don't have to use Live for you windows logon account. Local accounts still exist and you can "link" to Live if you wish.
Glen T
BC

1 edit

Glen T to izy

to izy
said by izy:

Sorry, after re-reading missed this but man are you making it tough on yourself....even with windows 7 using the start menu or metro to locate an app!

Win7:
Win key - Type name of app in the search box to return results

Win8:
Win key - Start typing name of app.

Win7/Win8 if it is installed search will find it!

If I wanted to type commands to search, I'd switch back to DOS. Same with accelerator keys. I like clicking on icons and I like the Start menu. The way that I have it set up, it is efficient for me and I will stick with what works, until something better comes along. And for me, Win8 is not something better.

With enough money, time and effort you could change a Volkswagon into a Ferrari. But why bother when you already own a Ferrari?

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to trparky

Anon

to trparky
Completely understandable. There is always Local account you can use. Live ID is not required to use Windows 8. I do NOT save any important sites like email password. Only sites like forums, Facebook, Twitter, whatever it's not important. I do not use the same passwords that my important sites on those sites.
RazzyW8

RazzyW8 to Glen T

Anon

to Glen T
Clicking on "All Programs" (or wait for hover time) is not efficient for me.
Glen T
BC

Glen T

said by RazzyW8 :

Clicking on "All Programs" (or wait for hover time) is not efficient for me.

A lot of foks keep saying how it is easier to click/tap on the Metro Start screen, but they keep leaving out the steps required to get from the desktop to Start screen. Click for click (plus swipe/scroll, tap/click and type characters/search) I can still get to my applications in the Win7 Start menu with fewer operations than I can with Win8 Metro Start screen.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8

Anon

Um

I just move mouse to lower left corner and click, then Start Screen shows up. That's ONE click.

OR you could just hit WIN key.