how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sparks

join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR

need help on replacing a kitchen light

In the kitchen is a Lithonia Lighting Curved Basket Wrap Fluorescent Surface Mount, Gloss White( cut and paste) lol
it an older one that uses 2 40 watt ballast and 4 f40 cool white lamps and is at least 20 years old.
It runs a min of 12 hours a day and I was noticing some smell from the unit. I pulled off the can and both or the ballast are leaking.
That I understand but when I went to get some new ballast ( the last time I purchased one like this they were about $12 )
well the 2 places I went said they don't sell those any more. They are magnetic and now they are electronic. I asked if I could just swap them out and they said I guess so.
One of them then said yea the electronic run a lot cooler and use less power and they require T8 lamps. I looked at a display of their unit like the one I have and it had a single ballast and the lamps were NOT bright at all.

Is this the only way to replace the ballast?
Are the electronic ones using less power also put out less light or is it the lamps or ?

I like the idea of a single ballast and I like the idea of a cooler running unit but I don't like the idea of about 50% less light.

ps the wires in the unit are 14 thhn wire and they are dis coloring because of all the heat in the can.

ALL ideas are welcome I want to either replace the ballast or the fixture but I want light

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
Swap out the ballasts for electronics ones and use T8 bulbs to replace the T12's.

When you say they are less bright could it be due to color temperature? Bulbs have different phosphor coatings to produce different color light. An electronic ballast and 34w T8 deliver more lumen's per watt then the old system.

/tom

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to sparks
You can get electronic ballasts for t12 lamps, but why? T12s are going away.
You get new ballasts and new lamps and the pleasure of rebuilding the fixture. It's probably better to just replace the fixture.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to sparks
Magnetic ballasts for F40T12 luminaires were banned under the same law banning incandescent light bulbs. You can still get F40T12 ballasts but they are only available in electronic flavor.

Maybe you could give the kitchen a new look and replace the fixture. Light fixtures are not that expensive at Lowe's Depot.

I installed some hardwired F40T12 fixtures in my basement back in 2010 (that contained electronic ballasts) and the light they produce is amazing compared to the screw base bulbs that were there before.

--
Romney-Ryan and Scott Brown are the Right Choice as they are Hope & Change you can count on.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus
reply to sparks
I replaced all of my 40W inductive ballasts with electronic ones. I still used the T12 bulbs. Main reason was the constant buzzing and flicker when cold.

If you go to a hardware store, a ballast will cost more than a new fixture will.

I picked up 5 ballasts cheap off ebay (new old stock.) Just be careful as many surplus ones are 277V.

The single ballast one you saw probably had the ES bulbs (34watt) vs the standard 40W bulbs you used.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

You can get electronic ballasts for t12 lamps, but why? T12s are going away.
You get new ballasts and new lamps and the pleasure of rebuilding the fixture. It's probably better to just replace the fixture.

Back in 2010, I installed new T12 fixtures in my basement and a T12 fixture in my Grandma's basement near the laundry area.

Is there any real advantage of T8 over T12. When I was shopping for fixtures at Lowe's the T8 fixtures were twice as expensive as the T12 fixtures.

Another question: If I replace the remaining screw base fixtures in Grandma's basement with F40T12 fixtures (currently one F40T12 and three screw base, would be upgraded to 4 f40t12 fixtures), would they overload the switch that they are on. There is currently one switch controlling the lights in grandma's basement. I want to upgrade the lighting down there because grandma has poor vision.

--
Romney-Ryan and Scott Brown are the Right Choice as they are Hope & Change you can count on.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
T12s are obsolete. They shouldn't even be put into consideration. T8 and T5 are more efficient and readily available. T12 magnetic ballasts have been phase out. Most standard T12 lamps were "banned" at the same time as the 100W bulb. They will be going away.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to sparks
Skip the T8s and upgrade to T5

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Magnetic ballasts for F40T12 luminaires were banned under the same law banning incandescent light bulbs.

Interesting, considering that incandescent bulbs have not been banned.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

T12s are obsolete. They shouldn't even be put into consideration. T8 and T5 are more efficient and readily available. T12 magnetic ballasts have been phase out. Most standard T12 lamps were "banned" at the same time as the 100W bulb. They will be going away.

I thought it was just the magnetic ballasts for F40T12 luminaires that were banned. If I would have known the lamps were being phased out as well, I would have shelled out the extra cash to get the T8 fixtures.

So I guest this means I'll be changing the ballasts when the time comes to relamp the fixtures as well as I'll be unable to get the lamps for them.

Maybe Lowe's knew of the impending ban and sold the fixtures cheap as they knew they would become unwanted inventory that would have to be written off when the ban took effect.
--

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Another thing I like about the T-5s (haven't looked at much at the T-8s) is that you have a lot more color temperature options. (They may have been there for T-12, but I never really saw anything more than warm, cool, and daylight (well, there was a better Alto line from Phillips)

With the t-5s, you have a lot more phosphor options. And, you can get some high CRI bulbs that are impressive (depending on application)

sparks

join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR
reply to sparks
Thanks for all the great info.
I have questions the older F40 cool whites were more of a bright natural light compared to something like warm whites that were a yellow color.
I am wrong on my assumptions after reading you post here about T lights I thought that T12>T8>T5 on output but you state that the T5 bulbs are the brightest or are they just the most efficient?
I keep thinking back to the shower heads and the goverment saving money by forcing low flow to save water...NO I stand in the shower 3 times as long so how did I save water?

OK if I keep this fixture and want the same light (brightness of my kitchen) as I had with 4 F40 bulbs is this possible?
What ballast and bulbs?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
said by sparks:

Thanks for all the great info.
I have questions the older F40 cool whites were more of a bright natural light compared to something like warm whites that were a yellow color.
I am wrong on my assumptions after reading you post here about T lights I thought that T12>T8>T5 on output but you state that the T5 bulbs are the brightest or are they just the most efficient?
I keep thinking back to the shower heads and the goverment saving money by forcing low flow to save water...NO I stand in the shower 3 times as long so how did I save water?

OK if I keep this fixture and want the same light (brightness of my kitchen) as I had with 4 F40 bulbs is this possible?
What ballast and bulbs?

With the high electric rates in my area, I took energy saving measures on my own without government intervention. I installed CFLs throughout my home and am transitioning to LED as finances permit. Installing LED bulbs that cost $25 a piece is not cheap but the alternative is $100 plus electric bills. The only exception is the full bath (which uses G25 bulbs) I use incandescent bulbs because the steam from the shower kills CFLs (to maximize energy savings I replaced the single switch with a single gang double switch to seperate the lights from the fan so I can run the fan with the light off). I also installed an occupancy sensor in the kitchen to turn the lights out when you leave the room.
--