spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

steveinabby

@telus.net

[BC] No VPN on Telus!

Not sure what is going on here. I need to connect to my work VPN through the Telus Aciontec router. I can connect to a USA VPS just fine and then while running the USA VPN, I can connect to my work VPN in Vancouver. Here is the kicker... I close the USA VPN and the work VPN, try to just reconnect the work VPN and whammo, the connection times out and I get the error 619 message. Any ideas on how to get the work VPN to pass through and work on the telus network without having to load a USA VPN first? (I am located in the lower mainland)

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

TELUS doesn't block VPN usage. I would suggest you contact your works IT department and get them to resolve the issue you are encountering.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

steveinabby

@telus.net

I am sorry, but I was on the phone for 3 hours with them yesterday and they mentioned something about purchasing a large block of IP's from South Africa. The problem with that is that many companies block IP's from outside N America. They suggested turning the router off to try to get a new IP. (did that, did not work) That being said, they decided to purchase cheaper IP's from outside N America and now they are saying that companies must unblock countries from outside N America. Not their problem. This is unacceptable. It looks like I need to subscribe to a USA VPN, connect to that, then connect to my work VPN here in Canada just to get access. Thank you Telus.

WackyGaru

join:2009-02-10
Grande Prairie, AB

I think your work IT department just doesn't want to troubleshoot their own problems by the sounds of it...

steveinabby

@telus.net

As mentioned, I was on the phone with Telus for over 3 hours. They said their IP's were now coming from S Africa. That being said, my company, located in Canada, blocks IP's from countries outside N America. I had a telus tech here this morning who replaced the router. It still did not work. I showed him that I could connect to the VPN through tethering on my cell phone. I also showed him that I could connect to the USA VPN through telus then connect to the work VPN through the USA VPN. He was here for an hour and left baffled as well. It is not an issue on my work end, it is an issue on Telus's end.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to steveinabby

said by steveinabby :

That being said, my company, located in Canada, blocks IP's from countries outside N America.

This seems to be the problem. Telus has no obligation to provide your home with an IP address that will fit with whatever your work considers to be a North America IP.

You need your employer to whitelist the new Telus IP address blocks.

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
reply to steveinabby

Not sure if this is why Speedtest.net seems to think the new 108.180 blocks are located in Northern Manitoba and always chooses Winnipeg or Edmonton to test from. (I'm from Vancouver)

Just noticed this started happening in the last month or so.

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB

said by WhosTheBosch:

Not sure if this is why Speedtest.net seems to think the new 108.180 blocks are located in Northern Manitoba and always chooses Winnipeg or Edmonton to test from. (I'm from Vancouver)

Geolocation issues have been discussed here before. If you are doing a geolocation lookup on an IP and you get the middle of nowhere in northern Manitoba is means there is no location assigned to the IP besides "Canada". This is nothing new.

Geolocation databases are updated on a 30 day cycle for most of the internet. Companies that pay for the updates get them much faster but few do.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to steveinabby

said by steveinabby :

As mentioned, I was on the phone with Telus for over 3 hours. They said their IP's were now coming from S Africa. That being said, my company, located in Canada, blocks IP's from countries outside N America.

It doesn't matter where the IP addresses come from, maybe you shouldn't use GeoIP blocking (and your business shouldn't either) -- its ineffective.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

couttsj

join:2010-07-29
Vernon, BC
reply to steveinabby

To understand your problem, you need to understand how VPN works. As the name suggests, Virtual Private Network creates a Virtual network that is an extension of your personal network. The network thinks that the external connection is part of it's own network. This is accomplished by encoding the virtual packets inside regular IP packets, sending them to the destination, and translating them at the other end. In other words, it would be virtually impossible for Telus to block them, because they don't know how the packets are constructed or the ports being used.

Having said that, the router on your end at the very least, must support VPN pass through. That is not as big a deal as it might sound, if you are making the initial connection to the outside network. Once the connection is established, it just has to be kept alive. The only VPN networks that I have personally worked on, were accomplished right in the router itself. In other words the router itself did the encoding and decoding, and it worked well.

A quick check to see if you have access, is to portscan the base network with the port number that is being used for the VPN.