uniqs
Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

Spice300 to bobvick

Premium Member

to bobvick

Re: [Exede] Exede Install Scheduled..Some Questions

Is your existing pole a 2" schedule 40 steel pipe with 2" inner diameter and 2 3/8" outer diameter? Alternately it could be a 2" outer diameter with a thick wall. If it is some other size, then the installer probably will not have the appropriate adapter.
acillatem
join:2011-04-21
U.S.A.

acillatem

Yes......it might be a good idea to contact the installer before he comes out, tell him your situation with the pole, perhaps even confirm the exact outside diameter. If he needs to use an adapter, it has to a WildBlue approved adapter. If it's thick walled, 2" outside diameter, you should be good to go.
bobvick
Premium Member
join:2008-04-01
Brilliant, AL

bobvick

Premium Member

It is 2 3/8'' OD, it is about 4.5-5' off the ground. I buried it about 3' deep and it is filled with concrete.
To get to my office from where that pole is mounted, it will take about 80'-100' of cable.
Would it be better to mount it closer to the office?
Like I said earlier, alternatively, I can locate the modem in my den, and run a Cat5e cable about 65'-70' to go from the router to a switch where the computers etc.. are.
I guess I will just wait and see what the installer wants to do.
One good thing about the pole that I already have is, it is located only about 10'-15' from my homes central grounding location, so to ground it would be easy.
bobvick

bobvick

Premium Member

One other question that I forget to address, the installer that Exede sends out, is that a local installer? Or is it from a sub-contractor, kind of like DirecTV or Dish Network use now?

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to Spice300

to Spice300
said by Spice300:

Alternately it could be a 2" outer diameter with a thick wall.

FFR, that's a Sch80 pipe. The regular wall is a Sch40. Any lesser pipe will wave in the wind.

//greg//
grohgreg

grohgreg to bobvick

to bobvick
Hard tellin' where the installer will come from, it depends upon what kind of work they're registered for (with ViaSat/Exede). It's the luck of the draw as to what/who will show up.

As far as the location of the polemount, closer is better - to a point. Attached PDF says 150' is max, but it doesn't mention minimum. Field experience however, seems to have demonstrated that at least 25' of cable is typically required for acceptable service.

//greg//

Storm97
Premium Member
join:2003-04-14
Manteca, CA

Storm97

Premium Member

said by grohgreg:

Hard tellin' where the installer will come from, it depends upon what kind of work they're registered for (with ViaSat/Exede). It's the luck of the draw as to what/who will show up.

As far as the location of the polemount, closer is better - to a point. Attached PDF says 150' is max, but it doesn't mention minimum. Field experience however, seems to have demonstrated that at least 25' of cable is typically required for acceptable service.

//greg//

Concur... We were doing the WB / Exede installs up until last year when Dish Network started picking them up in our DMA. As for the distance, even though max is listed as 150'; in practice I have found connectivity issues in anything past 100' and less than 20'.
Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

Spice300 to bobvick

Premium Member

to bobvick
said by bobvick:

To get to my office from where that pole is mounted, it will take about 80'-100' of cable.
Would it be better to mount it closer to the office?

Because your cable length is within the specifications, it should be fine to run it to the office. Make sure the coaxial cable has a solid center conductor to minimize the cable resistance. It is best to have the modem near the computer which allows you to easily observe its status lights.