how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BobWadd

join:2005-12-15
Ocala, FL

CCs losing authorization in TiVo S3

have a TiVo S3 with two cable cards installed. One to five or six times a month they loose authorization. This happened again last night. I check to make sure it would record a few shows tonight and everything was fine at 8:00p. I sat down to watch a show and no video. I checked and they went out at a little past 9:00p. Mind you, we have yet to go all digital in this area and I do not lose all of the digital stations. It's usually just one of the packages and not always the same one. So... I call the 800 number and have the system send a refresh signal. A little bit later everything is fine again. Wait a few weeks and it will happen again.

A tech came out and checked the signals a few weeks ago and found no issues. They never do. A new drop (RG11 this time) not to long ago.

I believe that the CCs are not receiving an EMM often enough. ECMs are being received as required and the EEMs do come through but the count eventually goes to zero before I lose authorization.

This has now been going on for over two years with no resolution in sight. I tried to contact the manger I have been dealing with one a local number to find out the it had been disconnected or changed. I am also dealing with Executive Care but that is getting me no where.

As I was going to post this yesterday but never got around to it, I have an update: Lost authorization again tonight. Once again called the 800 number and used the automated system to send a refresh signal and a short time later everything was fine once again.

I have already posted this in the "Direct support" forum and am awaiting a reply. I thought someone here might be able to point me in the right direction as what to do next.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

what version of firmware does your S3 have?

BobWadd

Ocala, FL

1 edit

I take it you mean the TiVo software version. It is:

11.0K-01-2-648

CableCards are Scientific Atlanta PowerKEY Model PKM600s. OS Build is:

2.3.149.3 Wed May 10 2006

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to BobWadd

I've seen that happen frequently if the firmware was out of date. Thats current, so there goes my easy fix.

BobWadd

Ocala, FL

Well the firmware I have is dated 2006. According to Comcast this is the latest for the 600 series cards. So they decided to change my cards out for 800 series with firmware dated 2010.

Easy enough you say. Well, you would think so. First appointment is set up. They ask if they can have some time to procure CCs. No problem, I'm going on vacation anyway. I return and get the automated confirmation call and confirm for the next day. About an hour into the appointment window the tech calls. Surprise, he has no CCs. He calls his supervisor, call me back and say the supervisor assured him CCs would be available in a few days. We setup another appointment and guess what. Same thing happens. So we try it again. An appointment is scheduled a week out to once again give the time to acquire CCs. This time a different tech calls and he does have CCs granted it's one 600 and one 800. The cards are inserted and recognized. It goes downhill from there. It turns out the cards are in their system as J-Status. This status identifies the cards as stolen. So the cards are pulled back out and the old ones reinserted. One of the cards will not pair properly. Why don't we try it one more time! So... once again I receive a call from a tech. No CCs again. Now I'm waiting for a call back to find out the status.

Please realize that this has now been going on for over a year with no resolution. The cards are losing authorization much more often that they used to. Also, Executive Customer Care is involved and has been less than useful. They are now giving me no more service credits as I have been told I reached the limit. I have no clue as what to do next. In the past I had filed a complaint with the FCC. Comcasts response was, "We're working on it" that was the end of that. I have also filed a complaint with my states franchise authority and am awaiting a reply.

Any suggestions as to my next step would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Bob

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
kudos:1
reply to BobWadd

my cc lose authorization exactly every 12 days , than mysteriously fix themselves about 4-6 hrs later. Its usually the lower channels that go missing. End cable ownership of cable boxes already!

BobWadd

Ocala, FL

Mine lose authorization anywhere between one and 14 days. The will not work again until a refresh signal is sent. Channels are always lost grouped in a package or multiple packages. Not always the same one though.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to BobWadd

tell them that you have hit the limit of dealing with them and thinking of switching to a differnt system.

BobWadd

Ocala, FL

I would gladly do that if there was another cable co in the area. My only other option would be satellite and that will not work with my TiVo.

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BobWadd

I had this exact same problem when I had two S-Cards in my Tivo Series3 THX edition (the one with the OLED display on the front) I'd reboot the system and it worked, after a few days to a couple weeks the cards wouldn't show encrypted channels restart, fixed again... well had comcast put M-Cards in to see if it was a card issue since S-Cards are old now... worked great... for 6 months then the same issue started again.... grr... I'm getting a new tivo here soon to replace the S3 and see if that fixes it... signals are perfect, it's either a tivo issue with the s3 or a comcast issue with pairing and keeping authorization

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to BobWadd

gotta love cable cards.....

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to BobWadd

to bad you can't get Bright House Networks.

Yes they do make you pay to rent the SDV tuner but there HD line up is way better then comcast.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
reply to gar187er

said by gar187er:

gotta love cable cards.....

...and Comcast's history of mismanagement of them.

Good thing the FCC adopted the new rules last year that greatly improved the provisioning. Doesn't keep Comcast from screwing up channel maps or authorization though, but that's more rare than it used to be.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

its not just comcast, its CCs in general. every MSO hates them. when i have to get a BOX of brand new virgin CCs just to get 1 or 2 that work, something is wrong.
--
I'm better than you!

GTFan

In most cases that something is called improper setup by your own company. Nothing new here.

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

every cablecard issue I've ever had has come down to someone somewhere at Comcast either didn't enter the card into the system right, someone at the NOC had no idea what a "data id" was on a SA system where we only have Device and Host ID's.. then entered the wrong number into the "data id" field on their end... or giving a card that is still paired to another piece of hardware because someone in the NOC end didn't remove the pairing when they pulled the card... at that point... 100% of the issues for me at least have been Comcast's fault... when they pull out a brand new card that has never been used and was just entered into the warehouse strangely it works every time so far...

GTFan

Or sometimes not - as multiple techs have posted, new cards often don't work. But again my bet is that most of them were provisioned wrong in Comcast's system, like setting them up for two-way devices (Comcast's stuff) when they need to be one-way (Tivo, PC tuners, etc.).

We're way past the time where 3rd party devices are the issue - modern Tivos and PC tuners handle cards just fine, so it's almost always the provider's fault now when it happens.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to BobWadd

I must have good luck with cable card. I probably got around 10 cable cards only one gave me trouble and had to exchange it.
--
Caddy