spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jonnysco

@rr.com

[Tampa] Considering EnGenius wifi extender

I have Bright House wireless with Ubee router in St. Petersburg, FL. Signal occasionally is too week and my Sony bluray won't connect to internet for Netflix, etc. Is the EnGenius ERB9250 extender compatible with Bright House and Ubee?
The ERB9250 is listed as HDMI, easy setup, and the price is right.

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
Try a powerline adapter kit first

»www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-PLA401v3-Ho ··· +netgear

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
I too would try the powerline deal first. Even with an extender you still lose throughput and will likely get buffering and stuff during streaming.

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
reply to Guide_Tim
to answer your question though, yes that extender wll work

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:161
reply to jonnysco
This would be a better choice...

»www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-PLA4205kit- ··· homeplug

And then connect an Access Point at the other end....
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

jonnysco

@rr.com
I like the looks of the ZyXEL product, but wonder if once you've tapped into the ethernet port on the modem, does the modem stop outputting the airborne wifi signal? We do have other wifi products in the house and don't want to turn them into ethernet devices. I have seen it noted that I also need to make sure that the modem and access points are on the same side of my home's circuit box.

Thanks

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
kudos:1
reply to jonnysco
I've been using the G version of the link below for about a year. Most of my systems are hardwired, but I have a couple items that need to connect wirelessly. It has been very stable, and I have no complaints at all.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 33168059

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to jonnysco
said by jonnysco :

I like the looks of the ZyXEL product, but wonder if once you've tapped into the ethernet port on the modem, does the modem stop outputting the airborne wifi signal? We do have other wifi products in the house and don't want to turn them into ethernet devices. I have seen it noted that I also need to make sure that the modem and access points are on the same side of my home's circuit box.

Thanks

No...and no it isn't always required to be on the same leg. House wiring is one of those things you will just have to try and if it works great...otherwise return to Amazon (that's why I recommend Amazon...no hassles).
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

jonnysco

@rr.com
Thanks all. I'm sold on trying ZyXel homeplug to take care of movie streaming. If we encounter any lag in our notepad or Kindle, then an extender is cheap enough to add on.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to jonnysco
Remember...to add the wireless at the other end you still need some type of access point....so what are you considering for that? You can even use an old wireless router with DHCP turned off and leave everything else on if you want.

jonnysco

@rr.com
The ZyXel 4205 kit is the one I like. One unit in the computer room wired to the BHN Ubee modem and wall plugged, and one unit in the bedroom wall plugged and wired to the Sony blu ray wifi player. I'm not really planning on messing with the lesser wifi devices in the house that are working fine.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to jonnysco
Okay so in your case you will connect the two homeplugs and then on the extended end plug in a simple switch that will give you connectivity to all the other devices...problem solved