share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

R4 for DS Lite?

Which R4 card kit is the best for a DS Lite? Can anyone PM me a site to get one? What parts do I need to make it work? What size and class SD card should I get, and how much will fit on it?

I am paying layaway on a DS Lite for my teenager overseas. It will be a combined Christmas (late) and birthday (early) gift.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

DS lite should work with just about anyone at this point, if I'm reading you correctly.

Even if you get a 3DS later, it'd be worth hanging on to the DS lite then in order to update your flashcard(s) accordingly. But if you were talking about the 3DS, best thing I could suggest is the Supercard DStwo. Really good homebrew, and with its extra hardware, it actually can emulate for the GBA and SNES a bit better too, as well as the homebrew made for using its extra horsepower.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

I am doing layaway of the DS Lite, the 100 dollar model. I will ship the device and some ROMs overseas to my boy. I was planning on keeping the R4 here so I could keep making ROMs for him, is that the way to do it? He doesn't have internet access.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

any of the DS flashcards you buy would have a slot for a microSD(HC) to insert; you would store the loader and whatever content you want it to have on the microSD. A few models also had their own internal storage, but you won't really see that anymore, since first it was expensive as heck by comparison, and secondly because many of those had since been blocked in firmware updates for any of the more recent DS models (namely, DSi and 3DS).
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

I am doing layaway of the DS Lite, the 100 dollar model. I will ship the device and some ROMs overseas to my boy. I was planning on keeping the R4 here so I could keep making ROMs for him, is that the way to do it? He doesn't have internet access.

You will need another DS Lite and R4 if you want to make your own dumps. The R4 is used to start a homebrew app that allows you to dump a retail game. Then you save it to your computer and mail it to him on an SD card or CD (and he'll put it on the SD card).

He'll also need another R4 to play the ROMs, obviously.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Dejavu
Game Misconduct
Premium,Mod
join:2002-09-11
Ishpeming, MI
kudos:3
reply to signmeuptoo

Ive tried a few and my favorite so far is the Acekard.

a 1 GB micro sd or bigger I'd recommend.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo

Thanks guys. I am looking at the SUPERCARD DS TWO thanks to a recommendation by somebody here. So I will eventually need to buy two of them, and respective microSD cards then, in order to send stuff to him?

Ok, can someone PM me about how the homebrew software works and where to get it?

I downloaded a DS on PC emulator so I can check out games on my PC for now. Pretty darned cool! I hope to learn how to write code like this at some point...
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

You'd only really need two such cards if you were looking for a way to dump your own games into ROM form, and/or for some wacky reason can't find it available through other means. There was a homebrew way of being able to dump games and save data over wifi to a PC and back, but that I haven't used it for a long time, so I don't know if it's been updated or abandoned since.

As for the DStwo, [url=http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/]their site at least has the latest firmware, EOS (basically the loader/OS environment), and some of their own homebrew for the card, so you can get an idea of what it's capable of. From there, it's almost literally just a matter of putting the contents where you want/need them to go on the microSD(HC) that you use.

To date, I don't know of any DS flashcard that is compatible with SDXC... maybe if someone manages to make a working 3DS flashcard that would be possible. Even so... Good luck all the same, and enjoy.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

fnord76
Elder God
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL
kudos:2
reply to Dejavu

I have an Acecard. 1 GB of storage generally will get you plenty of room for stuff but the more you put on the SD card, the longer it takes to load and the more power it consumes. Not sure if it is that way for the other cards.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY
reply to signmeuptoo

Bad.

Mastr Blastr
Born 2 Rock
Premium
join:2003-10-20
Hartford, KY
reply to signmeuptoo

The biggest Micro SD Card that my R4DS will support is 2GB. I bought a 4GB and it would not work.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

said by Mastr Blastr:

The biggest Micro SD Card that my R4DS will support is 2GB. I bought a 4GB and it would not work.

Most likely a restriction on SDHC cards then. 4GB non-HC cards exist, but they are kind of rare. If you managed to find one, it would probably work in the R4.

Edit: Here's an example (note: I'm not endorsing this product - it looks kind of sketchy to me):
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···K0EZ8257
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
reply to Mastr Blastr

That's because the R4 (and its over 9000 clones) have been mostly 'disposable' upgrade solutions. They'll work when you get 'em, but if there ends up being a significant change to add functionality, or retain compatibility in the face of system updates for the DSi and 3DS, then the team(s) that make them will obviously end up releasing yet another clone card instead of providing an update to fix/resolve things for yours.

I would also mention the CycloDS iEvolution, as it's the only card on the market that was able to boot natively into DSi mode; however, there are multiple caveats... not least of which that the team that made the card dropped support for it; its insanely high price compared to alternatives (particularly the DStwo); finally, the buggy sploit that was used to enable DSi mode also restricted your ability to use WiFi connection with it for the few games and apps that employ DSi mode. So, unless you specifically know of some games or apps that you want/have to have running in DSi mode with this cart, there's no reason to get it over something else.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

C0de, question: Since I am buying a NEW, from KMart, DS Lite, will there be a problem getting the firmware/software working with the DStwo, because of revision changes or something? Also, I can instruct him to NOT update it if that is advised, I can explain to him why, he is very bright so...
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

It shouldn't be a problem on the DS Lite. And the firmware updates with the DStwo are very simple. Drop the update file onto the root of the SD card in question, then pop in and it'll find the firmware, install, and reboot.

There shouldn't be any problem getting it to work on a DS lite; much of the updates have been to address some of the flash card blocking measures that Nintendo implemented on the DSi and 3DS systems. Since there is no such thing as a firmware update for the DS lite, there isn't anything to worry about there.

Software updates for the DStwo's OS would be primarily to address game compatibility issues that infrequently occur. Either way, the team stays on top of things pretty well.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Cool!

Did some more reading on it today. The DStwo sounds like the most feature rich, but costs more (but only a little more for more features).

Another question: The EOS, I take it if I make more cards for him, I will need the same OS version? Does the OS load anything ON the DS Lite?
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

The EOS for the DStwo is basically like akAIO for the Acekard series, or essentially... Windows. It's the OS that then starts up and will load the ROMs or homebrew apps on the card.

No, it does not need the same EOS across different SD cards; but I have personally not had any reason to run anything but the latest EOS when I set up mine, simply because it has been so trouble-free, and most of the changes are particularly for addressing any compatibility issues, or in some rare cases, to work around blocking measures done by Nintendo for instance.

The DS by its nature pretty much just has the operating RAM and loads stuff from the ROM on the retail and flash cards to run software, or run games. So it's not like having it in the system installs some program on the DS system itself; it 'goes away' when you take the card out, just like a retail game card. In that event, any changes to data would happen on the microSD in the flashcard, rather than on the DS itself.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Ah, so different from rockbox for Cowon (and other) media players. So the firmware, THAT does change, right? But no need for it on a DS Lite, right?

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

Not necessary, but doesn't damage anything. And if he ever by chance encounters and can play on a DSi or 3DS, all the better to get it updated anyway. There's almost no reason not to keep the card up to date in that regard, since it's basically just ensuring it can be played on any given DS system it could ever be in.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Ah hah! So the firmware is what loads on the DStwo, rather than the DS Lite. Ah, I see now! I suddenly comprehend the obvious (ok, I'm old, tired, and a dipstick, my mom called me her absent minded professor when I was a kid).

Expand your moderator at work

join:2013-01-04
reply to signmeuptoo

Re: R4 for DS Lite?

Thanks guys. I am looking at the SUPERCARD DS TWO thanks to a recommendation by somebody here.