All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
turk621
join:2012-10-28

turk621 to PCInTech

to PCInTech

Re: roadrunner turbo with sb5101 ?

I also have RR Turbo in CNY, using an SB5101. My download speeds fluctuate wildly. It may be 30 mbps, an hour later it's 9. I took my 5101 to a local TW office to upgrade modems(TW doesn't carry the SB6141, although they recommend it if you want to purchase your own). They told me I couldn't upgrade to the 3.0 modem unless I upgraded to RR Extreme. I've done lots of research, and I found many people having the same issue with download speed with the 5101. I also have a Cisco Linksys E1200 router, so it's not my router causing the fluctuating speed. The TW rep became annoyed when I complained about the fluctuating speed and the need to upgrade to a 3.0 modem for Turbo. She finally walked away from me, saying "I'm not going to stand here and argue with you". Needless to say, I still have a 5101, the 6141 cost is prohibitive(I found the same as another poster...the 6141 went from $99 at Amazon to $130 in 3 days). If TW was really concerned about their customers, they would have given me the 3.0 modem and be done with it, and I would have walked away happy. So now I'm going to pay $4 a month for what, IMO, is an under-performing modem.
wilmoo13
join:2012-11-17

wilmoo13

Do your research carefully. I had a TW RCA DOCSIS 2.0 modem and went to service center to get a 3.0, they just laughed. So, I bought the SB6141. It is a great modem BUT TW provisions it in a way that they block you being able to configure any options. They tell me that this is not a problem, it is a feature... They are protecting me from myself in making changes that might not work. It is up and running but much slower than the old DOCSIS 2.0. These are the same folks that told me sometime back that the reason my service was down was probably because I had installed my ethernet cable wrong, to remove it and switch ends between the router and the NIC.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey

Premium Member

said by wilmoo13:

So, I bought the SB6141. It is a great modem BUT TW provisions it in a way that they block you being able to configure any options. ... They are protecting me from myself in making changes that might not work.

??? The SB6141 is a dumb modem (only) and has no settings to change...

/M