Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

MTA Shutdown

The Governor has announced that as of 7PM tonight the MTA will shut down. That is all subways and commuter trains. Buses will run until 9PM.
According to the MTA chairman it will most likely continue until Tuesday.

»alert.mta.info/

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY
kudos:2

It'll probably be a slow restoration to normal on Wednesday, depending on how much damage they take from the storm.
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

1 recommendation

The Ferry is supposed to run as long as possible...
but it leaves from an Evacuation Zone and drops commuters off in another Evacuation Zone where, supposedly, there'll be no busses or subways!

I think PATH trains are scheduled to run till 10 pm but you'll still have to get there.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
reply to Pathfinder

the closure will have to continue through Tuesday AM, which is when the bulk of the storm hit... stupid major can't be bothered to look out a window. let's pray it's fully up for Wednesday morning's commute.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to Pathfinder

NJ Transit and PATH are scheduled for ~midnight shutdowns. Airports will likely go down by the morning.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
New York, NY

Last I heard the airports were closed.. or at least closing.
Stock Exchange will be closed on Monday.
Chase Cash Machines are displaying messages to consult your app for another ATM if this one goes down.
ConEd and Time Warner are sending out warnings about service interruptions...

I'm not ready to sit this one out without internet or tv

Expand your moderator at work

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to Stacy

Re: MTA Shutdown

said by Stacy:

I'm not ready to sit this one out without internet or tv

Me either, I dread it! No stove, no working frig, no lights, ugh....

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
reply to Pathfinder

if anyone know about the post office on monday please post.

i need to send a few things postmarked before month's end.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online

You didn't think to mail these things on Friday? LOL

I have to drive into downtown Brooklyn tonight to move our Drobo to a safer place as I suspect the roof of the office building where I work will leak water on something fierce. It has rained in the server room before. Unfortunately there's a full backup to this Drobo going on right now and it doesn't end for another two hours.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to Packeteers

said by Packeteers:

if anyone know about the post office on monday please post.

i need to send a few things postmarked before month's end.

there are 24hour post ofices
--
[i]IF YOU THINK THE STORM IS OVER-HYPED AND EXAGGERATED, PLEASE ERR
ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION.[/i]
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY

NY Post says USPS windows should be open till 3pm Monday.

they will then take a "wait and see" attitude after that.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

I did see mail men out and delivering around 9AM this morning in Brooklyn.
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to Pathfinder

I saw them this morning too in Fresh Meadows around 9am. Neither rain, nor hail, nor dark of night...

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
New York, NY
reply to Pathfinder

ConEd shut down the power in some areas around Wall St at 7pm tonight. Their twitter feed, @ConEd, says they could shut it down as far north at 36th st.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to Straphanger

said by Straphanger:

I did see mail men out and delivering around 9AM this morning in Brooklyn.

I received my Netflix movie in the mail this morning. I was impressed. LOL

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to AVD

»newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/10/29/···repairs/

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Pathfinder

well, i take back my critism of the subway shutdown, even though i still insist it was 8-12 hours premature. the web is now full of photos where dozens of different stations have tracks flooded up to and sometimes above the passenger platforms. i hope the city priorities the pumping in order to get some lines running soon, so for example get at least one brooklyn-manhatten-queens and one brooklyn-manhatten-bronx line running so people can take that and simply go crosstown by bus or on foot.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC

NYC's subway system is massive. Over 800 miles of track, 468 stations, and 5,600 cars. Coney Island's train yard complex alone is the home for something like 1,800 cars. Even with plans in place for a scenario like this, it still takes a lot of time and manpower to move all those trains around to their havens to protect them against being flooded and damaged or ruined. Station and other infrastructure also had to be prepared. So it would have been a serious mistake to keep service running longer.

Recovery is probably going to take quite a while. All those stashed trains are sitting on mainline track. NYCT undoubtedly left at least 1 track open along each route so they can move personnel and repair equipment around. However, until they can roll the stored trains further out into the system, there is no way even limited passenger service could be resumed.

How did Forest Hills fare the storm?
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits

thanks for asking... we mostly got the wind, so the few weak trees that Irene missed last year, Sandy finally knocked down. we have power, internet, well stocked store shelves etc. obviously the big concern now will be the lack of mass transit for the balance of the week. the brooklyn and holland(nj) tunnels got flooded, so mostly commuter non-commercial traffic in/out of manhatten will be stressed. my guess is most who can will take today off, but do whatever is needed to get to work on wednesday.

i imagine DC got most of the Rain - i hope you were in a well drained area.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC

Lots of rain all day and a few hours of sustained, very strong wind last night. No major problems anywhere around downtown where I am. Some flooding, debris, and power issues as one heads away from the core. The heavy damage was to our east, getting progressively heavier the further east one goes.

I lived in FH for a while long ago.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Buffalo, NY
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to DC DSL

In addition to what DC wrote. If it's salt water in the tunnels, it will cause corrosion. The electrical distribution system must be carefully checked and repairs made. You just just can't turn on a switch. There is a strict procedure that must be followed for the safety of all personnel working. The signaling system is very complex. All track circuits must be checked as well as the relays. Problem that the TA will face is that most of the signaling relays used are original and no longer manufactured.
It will be a long process to get the system running.
--
Train Yourself To Relax...Ride The New Haven Railroad! Weather or No...Go New Haven!
The New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Co.:1872-1968. Serving New York and the Great Industrial States of Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Pathfinder

10/30:PM Ten subway tunnels under the East River in New York were flooded, leading the Metropolitan Transit Authority to declare: "The New York City subway system is 108 years old, but it has never faced a disaster as devastating as what we experienced last night." Subway service was unlikely to resume for four to five days, Bloomberg said, but free bus service had resumed on a Saturday schedule, and about 4,000 cabs were running on city streets.

why make buses free? because you can't go down into the subway stations to buy a metro card that works on the bus?

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Packeteers:

why make buses free? because you can't go down into the subway stations to buy a metro card that works on the bus?

Probably that ... and I am sure a lot of people below 37th street who are without power will need to head far north or to Brooklyn / Queens to get groceries and other essentials.
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Buffalo, NY
kudos:4

Also probably for those who have cars to use the buses in order to keep the roads open for both emergency & utility vehicles.

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Pathfinder

Saw this in my walk today. About 2 blocks from my home.

Used BMW for sale

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to Pathfinder

Some good news. Partial subway service returns on Thursday, 11/1.

1 242 St - 42 St/Times Sq
2 241 St/White Plains Rd - 42 St/Times Sq (exp. 96-42)

4 Woodlawn - 42 St/GCT (lcl)
4 Borough Hall - New Lots (lcl)
5 Atlantic Av - Flatbush Av (exp)
6 Pelham Bay Pk - 42 St/GCT (lcl)

S Grand Central - Times Sq Shuttle

A 168 St - 34 St/Penn Sta (lcl)
A Jay St/Metrotech - Lefferts (lcl)

D 205 St - 34 St/Herald Sq (lcl)
D Atlantic Av - Bay Pky (exp to 36th)
F 179 St/Jamaica - 34 St/Herald Sq (lcl)
F Jay St/Metrotech - Avenue X (lcl)
M Metropolitan Av - Bway/Myrtle

J Jamaica Ctr - Hewes St (lcl)

N Ditmars Blvd/Astoria - 34 St Herald Sq (lcl)
R Jay St/Metrotech - 95 St/Bay Ridge (lcl)

Shuttle buses from Atlantic Av/Barclays, Jay St/Metrotech, and Hewes St to 57/Lex in Manhattan

LIRR - limited hourly service between Jamaica and Atlantic Av/Brooklyn.

I hope that people will have the good sense to not pretend it's a normal 9-5 day and will stagger their travel times or stay home. On a good day, the QB mainline is a fustercluck; with a lone route making all stops between Jamaica and midtown it will be an atomic meltdown if everyone is stupid and tries to be to work by 9 or leave at 5. Ditto for the Lex, and the trains running in Brooklyn. Those shuttle buses are probably going to be overwhelmed worse than the trains...especially if they don't impose lane restrictions in Manhattan so the buses get dedicated lanes just for them.
--

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

I need to be in for work at 3 tomorrow. I plan on leaving around 1. The trip is usually an hour so I am giving myself an extra hour. I hope the Shuttle buses at Atlantic aren't insane. It's going to be fun when I leave at 11pm to come home as well. 57/Lex is only a few blocks from where I work so that is one of the main reasons I am deciding to go in.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC

I would head out 12:30 or even noon.

Lordy, all it will take is one train laying down and there goes the railroad. Reroutes won't be an option since there likely are lots of trains still laid-up on the express tracks and turning capacity at the terminals will limit service to about 10-12tph during peak.

Good luck, y'all.
--

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Pathfinder

I called out. After seeing images of all the people waiting for the shuttle buses and the fact that the MTA stopped running buses last night in lower Manhattan cause their is no power put a bad taste in my mouth. I tried calling 511 and apparently they aren't answering. 311 had no information if the shuttle buses were running 24/7. If anyone here takes the shuttle bus from Manhattan to Brooklyn and it's actually running when it's dark out please post. It's insane that the MTA would be so secretive about this.

edit : I also texted 311 and they never responded, so much for getting a quick response using that method Mayor Bloomberg.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils